Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is this our BEST side?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:05 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Fatui Attata wrote:
TopGun wrote:
Crisp. Dunn. Goldsack
Sharenberg. Moore. Howe
Maynard. Treloar. Sidebottom
Varcoe. Reid. Wells
Elliott. Cox. Fasolo
Grundy. Adams. De Goey

WHE. Langdon. Greenwood. Phillips

All others being available dependant upon opposition, injuries, VFL form and the consistency of the above 'Best 22'

Personal favourites like Kirby, Brown, Daicos, Aish, Wills, McLarty and Broomhead ( like all the others) will just have to demonstrate VFL form that demands their selection

By all accounts, there's a bloke smashing the door down pre season.

Pendles says "Hi!" Razz

He will just have to demonstrate VFL form first. 😂

TopGun Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:39 pm

Oops!

Langdon out and Pendles in
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:11 am

MightyMagpie wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
Geez MM when you look at those stats it's alarming how quick our drop off in player expereince could get.
Even looking at some of the players with 50-100 games expereince there's a couple there that really haven't proven to be in our best 22 every week.
Hoping we don't get many injuries reading that or could be a long season.

That was my reaction as well! Thus the post.

From memory, of the 50+ games guys, I had Mayne, Aish and Blair as probably not best 22.

I have very high hopes for Wills and Phillips in the younger inexperienced brigade ... there is upside, but we will be relying on youth a fair bit. Guys like De Goey and Maynard will be key.

I really like Maynard’s brother over at Melbourne and hoped we might pick him up in the trade period, but that was not to be.

MM for us to be any chance of finals this season there needs to be several things happen
1- There must be a improvement from our mid range players. JDG Phillips Maynard Broomhead Crisp all need to step up and become better players.
2- Moore Cox need to deliver on promise now. The potential is there they need to bring it every week.
3- We cant afford to have injuries to Grundy Wells Pendles Varcoe Dunn Howe Sidey Elliott Reid. If these guys play 18 or more games together we will make finals

If we can keep basically 18 of our best 22 on the park for the majority of the season I like our chances.
A few injuries to key players especially talls and we are in trouble
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:17 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
Geez MM when you look at those stats it's alarming how quick our drop off in player expereince could get.
Even looking at some of the players with 50-100 games expereince there's a couple there that really haven't proven to be in our best 22 every week.
Hoping we don't get many injuries reading that or could be a long season.

That was my reaction as well! Thus the post.

From memory, of the 50+ games guys, I had Mayne, Aish and Blair as probably not best 22.

I have very high hopes for Wills and Phillips in the younger inexperienced brigade ... there is upside, but we will be relying on youth a fair bit. Guys like De Goey and Maynard will be key.

I really like Maynard’s brother over at Melbourne and hoped we might pick him up in the trade period, but that was not to be.

MM for us to be any chance of finals this season there needs to be several things happen
1- There must be a improvement from our mid range players. JDG Phillips Maynard Broomhead Crisp all need to step up and become better players.
2- Moore Cox need to deliver on promise now. The potential is there they need to bring it every week.
3- We cant afford to have injuries to Grundy Wells Pendles Varcoe Dunn Howe Sidey Elliott Reid. If these guys play 18 or more games together we will make finals

If we can keep basically 18 of our best 22 on the park for the majority of the season I like our chances.

I expect 1. Re 2, I think we can realistically expect some progression, but to expect talls to reach their full potential so early in their career is likely unrealistic.

3 is the most problematic I suspect. Wells, Pendles, Varcoe, Dunn and Reid are all around the 30 mark and Elliott has a horrific recent injury history including the latest surgery. If we have 18 of our best 22 on the park each week we should win the premiership, but I suspect we will be having to bat much deeper than 26 on the list on a regular basis.

Mihocek may be a great pickup as he comes with big plaudits from Gary Ayres and others as an AFL ready defender. As a depth player and with 3, possibly 4, swingmen in Moore, Reid, Goldsack and Howe he may allow us to cover those KP posts in the event of injury. I will say his video highlights concerned me a little as they were mainly uncontested marks and marks in an outnumber contest, but that could just be the edits chosen. McLarty has a good VFL year, but it would be a big ask to expect him to step in seamlessly.

glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:13 pm

Quote:

I don't buy that - I think were not far off the pace last year - just inconsistent. If Maynard puts in a year like last year that will be fine and the improvement from Moore and Cox isn't a big one. Wells and Varcoe I hope will get to more games.
Honestly I think we have the depth to weather some injuries and storms - Its like sidey said; we were expecting (re-good enough) to be playing finals the last few years; looking forward to the new year hoping for a big one in an even season.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:31 pm

MM can't argue with those points made but the improvement must come from the lower - mid range players and having a fair bit of luck on the injury front.
Realistically we were better in 2017 than 2016 even though the win/loss ratio wasn't much better. Our form over the last 6-8 weeks was very encouraging especially given we didn't have Pendles Wells Varcoe for that time and Grundy missed 3 weeks by memory and Ellliott and Faz both missed games as well.
Our best is good enough to beat or at worst be competitive with any side in the comp on any given day.
I'm bullish about our chances of we can maintain the basic same team for the majority of the season
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:56 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
MM can't argue with those points made but the improvement must come from the lower - mid range players and having a fair bit of luck on the injury front.
Realistically we were better in 2017 than 2016 even though the win/loss ratio wasn't much better. Our form over the last 6-8 weeks was very encouraging especially given we didn't have Pendles Wells Varcoe for that time and Grundy missed 3 weeks by memory and Ellliott and Faz both missed games as well.
Our best is good enough to beat or at worst be competitive with any side in the comp on any given day.
I'm bullish about our chances of we can maintain the basic same team for the majority of the season

I would argue that we were a significantly better team in 2017 than in 2016 based on our ratio of points scored for versus points scored against. The reasons for this is as follows. Dunn came into the side at FB. Langdon and Scharenberg returned from injury on the half back line and Maynard found form on the half backline as well. The big move was Crisp to the half back line in the second half of the Hawthorn match. Our midfield kept getting their hands on the ball which meant less pressure on the backline (all credit to Adams and Sidey for that). A sound defence means winning football to me - Hawthorn won their 3 premierships based on a sound defence. We're half way there. We now need to convert in front of goals and find a group of forwards who can kick a winning score. Ross Lyon never had a forward line that could kick a winning score but he coached teams into grand finals so there's no reason Collingwood can't do the same.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:28 pm

Been thinking about this fora bit now and maybe we need to look at our team differently than normal and make some surprise selection (positional wise)

Below is my new side

B. Crisp. Dunn. Murray
HB. Howe. Moore. Pendles
C. Wells. Treloar. Varcoe.
HF. WHE. Reid. Scharenberg
F. Elliott. Cox. Sidey
R. Grundy. Adams. Mayanrd

Int. Goldie. JDG. Stephenson. Phillips

Ok here's my reasoning
Pendles can rotate of HBF and be a behind the ball general drifting up the ground as he sees fit.
Moore at CHB to use his athletism and rebound
Wells Trelaor Varcoe rotate as runners can rest in th forward line and bring Sidey in the middle. We need quick ball movement into forward line
Sidey mainly forward for around 60% of the game. We really only have Sidey Varcoe and Wells who have that true X factor and having one of them around Cox makes sense.
Scharenberg as a forward. Strong mark and great reader of play. Played forward loads in juniors and at TAC level as well. At 192cm he's that new hybrid type tall and he's one of our better kicks.
Goldie on the bench as insurance in case we loss a tall but can pinch hit at either end of ground a required.
All other bench players must be runners to keep our ball movement going
Varcoe Wells Sidey and Pendles must play around 75-80% of games and game time and can't have more than 1 of them off the field at any given time during a game
KellyD33P 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:30 pm

FB. Crisp . Dunn. Langdon
HB. Howe . Moore . Murray
C. WHE . Pendles . Maynard
HF. JDG . Reid . Varcoe
F. Elliot . Cox . Sidebottom
R. Grundy . Treloar . Adams

Int. Phillips . Greenwood . Goldsack . Daicos

Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:54 pm

KellyD33P wrote:
HF. JDG . Reid . Varcoe

I like it, a good balance between skill and hardness. A lot of positive posts on Murray at training and we badly need some pace with a good kick coming out of defence. Only room for one of Langdon and the Berg and Langdon is a little tougher and better mark in the contests. Greenwood and Wills are playing for the same spot and for now Greenwood is that animal we need ( have my fingers crossed Wills can get on the park). Goldsack the defender utility you need can play anywhere and on all size of players. Love to see young Daics in there, he reads the play so well and has some skill and delivery another link player. I too think it's only one of Elliot or Faz. Sidebottom can easily swap from midfield to forward and like many we would like to see him around goals more often.
Good effort KellyD33P.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:33 pm

KellyD33P wrote:
HF. JDG . Reid . Varcoe

Interesting that you would play Phillips, Greenwood, Daicos and Murray ahead of Wells and Sharenberg (two of the better players in the league when fit). Not sure any coach in the AFL would do that, but there you go.

K 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:34 pm

E wrote:
KellyD33P wrote:
HF. JDG . Reid . Varcoe

Interesting that you would play Phillips, Greenwood, Daicos and Murray ahead of Wells and Sharenberg (two of the better players in the league when fit). Not sure any coach in the AFL would do that, but there you go.

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:52 pm

Bump time
Time to rethink what the round 1 side will look like
JDG unlikely, Elliott outside chance then there's question marks over Greenwood, Moore, Wells

Ok so let me redo my round 1 side

B. Murray. Dunn. Howe
HB. Crisp. Moore. Scharenberg
C. Wells. Pendles. Treloar
HF. WHE. Reid. Elliott
F. Varcoe. Cox. Sidey
R. Grundy. Adams. Maynard
Int. Aish. Phillips. Goldie. Stephenson

Emgergencies. Thomas. Daicos. Brown. Wills
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:50 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Bump time
Time to rethink what the round 1 side will look like
JDG unlikely, Elliott outside chance then there's question marks over Greenwood, Moore, Wells

Ok so let me redo my round 1 side

B. Murray. Dunn. Howe
HB. Crisp. Moore. Scharenberg
C. Wells. Pendles. Treloar
HF. WHE. Reid. Elliott
F. Varcoe. Cox. Sidey
R. Grundy. Adams. Maynard
Int. Aish. Phillips. Goldie. Stephenson

Emgergencies. Thomas. Daicos. Brown. Wills

Wills, Daicos in, JDG, Elliot out (while Thomas is unlucky).
mattdally 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:24 pm

Here;s my Round 1 attempt:

B. Crisp. Dunn. Goldsack
HB. Howe. Moore. Maynard
C. Wells. Treloar. Sidebottom
HF. WHE. Reid. Thomas
F. Elliott. Cox. DeGoey
R. Grundy. Pendlebury, Adams

Int. Varcoe, Stephenson. Aish, Phillips

Could change over some roles to include Wills, Sharenberg, Greenwood, Fasolo, Murray, Kirby, Daicos and Brown x2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: