Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is this our BEST side?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:39 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

mattdally wrote:
Here;s my Round 1 attempt:

B. Crisp. Dunn. Goldsack
HB. Howe. Moore. Maynard
C. Wells. Treloar. Sidebottom
HF. WHE. Reid. Thomas
F. Elliott. Cox. DeGoey
R. Grundy. Pendlebury, Adams

Int. Varcoe, Stephenson. Aish, Phillips

Could change over some roles to include Wills, Sharenberg, Greenwood, Fasolo, Murray, Kirby, Daicos and Brown x2

about right, although i'd be shocked if neither Scharenberg nor Langdon gets a run. Probably both play if fit.

Rogue2k0 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:44 pm

My Round 1 Team

B: Goldsack Dunne Langdon/Smith
HB: Scharenberg Moore Crisp
C: Sidebottom Adams Maynard
HF: Hoskin-Elliott Howe Stephenson
F: Wells/Varcoe Cox/Reid Elliott/Fasolo

R: Grundy Pendlebury Treloar
INT: Greenwood, Aishe, Reid/Cox, Phillips

Justifications
- Wells / Varcoe - both subject to Injuries so I would not have 2 in the team, Wells gets priority if fit.
- Elliott/Fasolo - both subject to Injuries so I would not have 2 in the team, Elliott gets priority if fit.
- Langdon/Smith - both similar players, Langdon gets the nod as gets more contested ball and a better intercept mark.
- Goldsack adds experience, Grunt and the teams leading 1%er by a mile.
- Moore is going to play in defense as it lacks height - if you take out a player who can run, mark and take a contested mark out of the forward line Howe is the obvious swap as he is our leading contested mark with 48 (Moore 38, then Reid 18 ). He was promised he would play forward, so why not give him a chance
- Cox / Reid - cant play Both in the Forward line as Reid does not have the pace or turning circle he used to have, and Cox does not have the Stamina to run the whole game. Neither can play CHF at the level required in todays game.
- Hoskin-Elliott is a Great mark and can kick goals, needs to be in Forward line.
- Stephenson looks a similar player as Hoskin-Elliott, has the pace and goal sense
- Greenwood as our only tagger gets a spot on the bench.
- Aish unlucky to be on bench, could play a forward or wing role.

- DeGoey - should be in the team - but not in the best team as he obviously puts him self ahead of the team.

- Daicos & Callum Brown will struggle to get a game until they build up their bodies and can impact the game more, same with Kirby.

- Oxley may be the surprise packet if he can stay fit and regain his form of a few years back when he got 40+ possessions.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:33 pm

Round 1 vs Hawks [post intra-club view]

Assuming: De Goey (susp), Elliott (inj), Fasolo (inj), Howe (inj), Wells (inj), Moore (inj), Greenwood (inj), Wills (inj). [If any of these guys are available then they would push into the 22.]

Foll: Grundy, Maynard, Adams

F Varcoe Reid Aish
HF Sidebotton Goldsack Hoskin-Elliott
C Treloar Phillips Pendlebury
HB Scharenberg Langdon Crisp
B Murray Dunn Broomhead

Int: Cox, Thomas, Smith, Blair

Omitted: Kirby, Mayne, Crocker, C Brown, Sier, Daicos, McLarty, T Brown, Stephenson, Murphy, Oxley, Lynch, Mihocek, Appleby, Magden.

E 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:12 pm

De Goey will get three brownlow votes in round 1 v Hawthorn. He showed in the intra club game that he is by a wide margin our best mid.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:43 pm

B. Scharenberg. Dunn. Langdon
HB. Howe. Moore. Crisp
C. Wells. Adams. Sidebottom
HF. WHE. Reid. Fasolo
F. Elliott. Cox. DeGoey
R. Grundy. Pendlebury, Treloar

Int. Varcoe, Maynard, Aish/Broomhead, Goldsack

Assumes everyone is available
I think De Goey should play (although Sanderson's language suggested he is a long way from starting). He just has to knock the door down with his form. last night was a good start.

Backs have height from Dunn, Moore. Howe, Langdon and Schaz as 3rd tall types. All are neat by foot. Crisp for some run.

Mids have polish (Pendles, Wells, Steele) and grunt (Treloar, DeGoey, Adams) . WHE could play wing for some speed.

Forwards have 2 tall marking targets (Cox and Reid), 3 mid-sized marking targets (Elliott, Fasolo, WHE).

Bench provides a bit of height, a bit of speed, a bit of grunt

E 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:13 pm

Except for the fact that I see Aish well ahead of Broomhead (and I have no idea how well Stevenson is tracking), I am pretty much 100% in agreement with you. I have seen really nice things out of Aish this season and think he might pass a few of the older guys so that you might not consider he and Broomhead interchangeable.

I also think Thomas is behind Aish but ahead of Broomhead. I presume you left Greenwood out because he is injured, or do you think he is out of this team even if fit?

I really hope Stevenson, Murray, McLarty, Daicos, Brown, Brown, Kirby, Sier, Wills, and Murphy can go past some of these guys at some stage during the year.

Blair, Smith and Mayne are really the only three guys that are true list cloggers (and you need those by the way in case of injury and slow development).

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:06 pm

^ I think Greenwood is really limited as a footballer. i admire his courage and hard-nosed approach, but if we have Treloar, JDG, Adams, Maynard available as well as Pendlebury, then we shouldn't need
- a tagger (Greenwood is our best, but Crisp should suffice)
- another strong on-baller
so much.

I found Greenwood as a forward late last season as a complete waste of time. He's not a great goal kicker and a limited field kick.

Broomhead has goal sense and pace which could be the small forward we need. He talked of his battles with his shoulders and inability to stick tackles. Perhaps that changes. He's more of a natural forward than Aish. A make or break year for Broomy for mine. Aish maybes has one more in him before we give up on him if he doesn't improve much.

Stephenson is a winger/half forward. He's a lot like WHE, but less strong for now. Perhaps he has a bit more go in him than WHE though. WHE tends to skirt around the pack a bit in style. Stephenson can run and carry off half back too.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:50 am

The more I look at who will actually be available for round 1 the more I think we need to be very cautious at the selection table.
Our style seems to be we want to move the ball quickly and accurately.
That leaves no room for players who are both slow and poor disposers of the ball.

B. Murray. Dunn. Crisp
HB. Howe. Moore. Scharenberg
C. Wells. Treloar. Varcoe
HF. Elliott/Faz. Reid. WHE
F. Sidey. Cox. Pendles
R. Grundy. Adams. Maynard
Int. Phillips. Stephenson. Aish. Goldie

In defence all players bar Crisp are better than average kicks. Murray & Crisp provide the speed with Varcoe playing off the back of the square to assist in defence and provide the link coming out
In the middle is were we can open sides up. Wells, Varcoe Treloar are our running players with skill. They need to be busting lines and setting up the HF line.
Doubt we can play both Elliott and Faz in the same side when there both under done fitness wise so one plays the other gets fitness in the VFL.
Reid & Cox play a our talls with WHE Pendles & either Elliott or Faz as roving forwards dropping in behind the leading forwards and or filling the gaps they leave. Sidey starts as a forward at the feet of Cox as wee need someone smart at the drop of the ball. He can interchange with Wells or Varcoe as the game progresses.
Grundy is so important he can give us first use. Adams and Maynard only job is to get the ball out to our running players.
On bench we pick quick players who can continue our momentum running. Goldie gets the gig as our mr fixit

If we can't control the ball when we have it and turn it over to much we will get murdered.
I'm hoping that the guys use these 2 practise matches to really hone the game style we've been working on through the pre season.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:54 am

It's actually very funny that you're still trying to select a side that doesn't have Langdon in it. A fit Langdon not picked in the team is about as likely as Dustin Martin being picked in our round 1 side.

Also, the Reigning Club Champion isn't going to play in the forward pocket. He's our second-best mid (and our second-best player). I suppose, as far as that goes, it is reasonably unlikely that Pendlebury will play in the other forward pocket.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:56 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
The more I look at who will actually be available for round 1 the more I think we need to be very cautious at the selection table.
Our style seems to be we want to move the ball quickly and accurately.
That leaves no room for players who are both slow and poor disposers of the ball.

B. Murray. Dunn. Crisp
HB. Howe. Moore. Scharenberg
C. Wells. Treloar. Varcoe
HF. Elliott/Faz. Reid. WHE
F. Sidey. Cox. Pendles
R. Grundy. Adams. Maynard
Int. Phillips. Stephenson. Aish. Goldie

In defence all players bar Crisp are better than average kicks. Murray & Crisp provide the speed with Varcoe playing off the back of the square to assist in defence and provide the link coming out
In the middle is were we can open sides up. Wells, Varcoe Treloar are our running players with skill. They need to be busting lines and setting up the HF line.
Doubt we can play both Elliott and Faz in the same side when there both under done fitness wise so one plays the other gets fitness in the VFL.
Reid & Cox play a our talls with WHE Pendles & either Elliott or Faz as roving forwards dropping in behind the leading forwards and or filling the gaps they leave. Sidey starts as a forward at the feet of Cox as wee need someone smart at the drop of the ball. He can interchange with Wells or Varcoe as the game progresses.
Grundy is so important he can give us first use. Adams and Maynard only job is to get the ball out to our running players.
On bench we pick quick players who can continue our momentum running. Goldie gets the gig as our mr fixit

If we can't control the ball when we have it and turn it over to much we will get murdered.
I'm hoping that the guys use these 2 practise matches to really hone the game style we've been working on through the pre season.

Langdon for Stephenson (who won't be ready till about round 5) and Daicos for Elliot/Faz (neither will get up for round one) and you've got it.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:00 am

Langdon was a walk-up start for the senior side before the players kicked a ball in something approaching anger. So, after this:

Woods wrote:
E wrote:
K wrote:
E wrote:
any way to see a replay of the intraclub game?

Three minutes of highlights only:
http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-02-23/the-very-best-of-piesintra

thanks for that.

WHE and Langdon appear to be the class of the field out there.

Langdon and WHE share Best on Ground for the game IMO. Langdon towelled De Goey at least once. Don't know why there is the excessive praise for De Goey's effort. He did all right but nothing better than several others. He seemed to want to take the game on but lacked sharp, quick decision making. Also missed a couple of goals (one out on the full?).

he's a cast-iron certainty.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:17 am

^^^
But maybe Langdon was given an unfair advantage by being matched up at times on a soft opponent (JDG)... Wink
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:13 am

That's true - Tommy is bigger, faster, stronger, harder, reads the game better, kicks to position better and is a longer and more accurate kick, as well as being a better trainer and a genuine role-model (except, possibly, for hairdressers). I guess it wasn't a fair match-up. Wink

Anyway, at least we know that neither of them will play round 1....
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:54 am

I'm seeing teams with either of Murray, Phillips, Stephenson or Smith in the best 22 and no Langdon. WTF are you smoking?
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:46 pm

^Agree with you on that thought.
Langdon is a pretty smart user and good intercept mark.

Murray isn't a great kick. I wouldn't have him in the Rd 1 team.

Josh Smith is a long way from the best 22.

Phillips is also a limited kick. Can run, but someone with neater foot skills is of more use to use in terms of ball movement.
remember the Hawks in their best years - not fast by foot, but moved the ball really efficiently given good users - Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis etc.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5   

Jump to: