Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 'me too' movement

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:43 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

First Pinker, now Dawkins ... anyone would think you dislike the New Atheists, K! Laughing
K 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:49 pm

Skids wrote:
K wrote:
As for that man's defence of paedophilia, it seems to have had nothing to do with a victim wanting to share his experience, or a victim wanting to be free from victimhood. It seems to have first come up in one of his trashy books (not an autobiography), in 2006. If you look at the passage, all he's doing is invoking the old, tired, feeble argument "It happened to us, and it didn't do us any harm". You frequently hear uneducated, unthinking dinosaurs saying this, along with claims that everything was better in the old days.

I haven't read much into this thread, but your bold bit.... happened to US and didn't do US any harm... who is speaking for a collective... and how the hell could they reach that conclusion?!

Yes, a good question. That people defend such nonsense is, I think, in large part due to the Cult of Personality.
Woods Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:45 am

Just in time for Christmas - #MENTOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azhgxQb0M3Y
K 

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:23 pm

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/i-am-not-sharon-stone-i-am-not-a-thief-emma-husar-launches-defamation-action-against-buzzfeed-20181206-p50kmj.html

https://www.buzzfeed.com/aliceworkman/labor-mp-emma-husar-accused-of-sexual-harassment-and
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Woods wrote:
Just in time for Christmas - #MENTOO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azhgxQb0M3Y

I sympathise with a lot of that stuff, but it sounds more like a “here’s how men suffer in this society” than anything particularly related to #MeToo, such as predatory sexual behaviour, assault and harassment. Men do suffer from that stuff too (from other men and women), and maybe Arndt deals with that in her book, but if so there’s little indication from that video.

Ultimately I’m sceptical of this assertion that men are terrified that something they’ve done in the past will be used against them. Maybe they should be? When you consider the sheer proportion of sexual assault and harassment that goes unreported, I’m finding it hard to accept that the real problem here is perpetrators being worried about being discovered. It shows a remarkable lack of concern for the victims who have suffered in silence.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:02 am

Previously:

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/federal/i-am-not-sharon-stone-i-am-not-a-thief-emma-husar-launches-defamation-action-against-buzzfeed-20181206-p50kmj.html

https://www.buzzfeed.com/aliceworkman/labor-mp-emma-husar-accused-of-sexual-harassment-and

Update:

https://www.theage.com.au/national/nsw/emma-husar-seeks-special-damages-in-buzzfeed-defamation-case-20181207-p50kzu.html

"Embattled Labor MP Emma Husar is seeking special damages in her defamation case...

The investigation later cleared her of the most serious claims and found there was no basis for her to resign.

She said the publications wrongly convey a range of defamatory imputations about her, including that she is sexually perverted and repeatedly exposed her vagina to colleague Jason Clare, is "a slut who boasts about who she has sex with", engaged in inappropriate sexualised behaviour towards her staff, sexually harassed male members of her staff, and ...

Ms Husar is seeking general damages, aggravated damages and special damages as well as an injunction permanently restraining BuzzFeed and Ms Workman from publishing the article or other stories which carry the same imputations.

In defamation law, there is a statutory cap of $398,500 for general damages, which are awarded for reputational damage and hurt, however this cap can be exceeded if a court accepts a publisher's conduct has aggravated any harm caused. There is no cap for special damages, which compensate for economic loss.

Ms Husar argued in the documents that the harm to her reputation is so great she may lose her endorsement as the Labor candidate and will likely be shunned by future employers in a non-political career. She was formally disendorsed on Friday, one day after filing the court action."

[I guess anyone who wants to read the Buzzfeed article should do so now, before any possible order to take it down. Has Mr. Clare made any public statements??
Addendum: "Ms Husar and Mr Clare vehemently rejected these claims when the confidential Whelan dossier was leaked to BuzzFeed earlier this month...," it says in https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/emma-husar-cleared-of-lewd-behaviour-by-labor-investigation-20180810-p4zwqw.html ]
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:51 am

The allegations seemed totally unbelievable to me when I first heard them, but that BuzzFeed article is fairly eyebrow-raising (and, if I understand correctly, has been compiled from at least 20 different sources?). Even if some of the more outlandish claims are untrue, the overall picture of behaviour is still pretty alarming. Good thing only our finest and most upstanding individuals get into politics, hey!
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:37 am

Interesting. I read most of the buzfeed article, then looked her up to see her background.

Leaving aside the sexualised behaviour allegations, the other allegations are of extremely poor management behaviour and misuse of funds.

She appears to have no background in people management (even union officials have to have people management skills) or senior roles, now she's earning $200k, has a set of staff to manage and a constituency to service, all of which she appears patently unqualified to do.

I'm sure if I went looking, she wouldn't be the only one. A number of the Greens candidates in the Vic election would fit the same bill and I'm sure there's be others in both Labor and Libs.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:14 pm

She's invited to the next BBQ at the Daicos Bar Cool
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 3:30 pm

^

I'm sure your wife and daughters will love her. Wink Laughing

K 

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:36 am

ABC, Herald add new defence in Craig McLachlan defamation case

https://www.theage.com.au/national/abc-herald-add-new-defence-in-craig-mclachlan-defamation-case-20181211-p50lko.html

"The ABC and The Sydney Morning Herald have been given the green light to argue actor Craig McLachlan is a sexual predator who indecently assaulted and sexually harassed female colleagues in the workplace, in an eleventh-hour change to the media outlets' defence to his defamation claim.

The month-long trial is slated to start on February 4 in the NSW Supreme Court before a four-person jury.

The media outlets have pleaded the defence of truth but have also been fighting to plead the highly technical defence of contextual truth, where a defendant argues a publication conveys other defamatory meanings that are true and the plaintiff's reputation was not "further harmed" by the specific defamatory meanings at the centre of the plaintiff's case.

The addition of a contextual truth defence would allow the media outlets to raise allegations from women who worked with McLachlan on the television show The Doctor Blake Mysteries, in addition to the Rocky Horror Show allegations.

Justice McCallum said she was persuaded by submissions by the media outlets' barrister, Sandy Dawson, SC, that "the alleged discreditable conduct with which these articles are concerned is in the nature of a persistent characteristic" and the organisations should be allowed to introduce "allegations tending to prove that characteristic" that went beyond the 2014 production of the Rocky Horror Show.

Justice McCallum had previously struck out contextual meanings pleaded by the media organisations on the basis they were "insufficiently precise", including a broader meaning pleaded by the ABC that the actor was a "sexual predator".

"In order for the proceedings to be fair, the imputation itself must be clear enough to allow rulings on admissibility to be made and to permit a clear case to be left to the jury," Justice McCallum said."
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:38 pm

Wonderful example of modern journalism here.

https://www.theage.com.au/lifestyle/life-and-relationships/it-s-been-a-hard-year-to-be-a-man-clementine-ford-has-tips-20181210-p50lav.html

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:21 pm

^ Sarcasm is, as they say, the lowest form of wit. And op-ed columns are the lowest form of journalism, if they can even be called that.

Take it from me: hate-reading isn’t good for the soul. Best to preserve the blood pressure and swipe left.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:25 pm

I suppose she has got a book to try to sell, so any publicity etc etc.

I couldn't help but wonder if she'd happily put her partner and son on that boat.

Ah well, attention seeking oxygen thieves come in all flavours.

K 

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:44 am

Chris Gayle awarded $300,000 in defamation case against Fairfax Media

https://www.theage.com.au/national/chris-gayle-awarded-x-in-defamation-case-against-fairfax-media-20181203-p50jum.html

"The figure is at the lower end of the scale compared with recent defamation payouts, and is within the statutory cap of $389,500 on general damages for non-economic loss. Aggravated damages were not awarded.

Gayle launched defamation proceedings against Fairfax Media in 2016 over a series of articles which alleged he exposed himself to massage therapist Leanne Russell during the Cricket World Cup in February 2015.

A four-person jury found in October last year that Fairfax had failed to establish a defence of truth to the three allegations at the centre of the case, namely that he intentionally exposed his genitals, indecently exposed himself and indecently propositioned Ms Russell.

The jury also knocked out the publisher's defence of qualified privilege, which requires a media outlet to show defamatory articles were of public interest and it acted reasonably in publishing them.

The defence can be defeated by malice, meaning the articles were published for an improper purpose. The jury found malice had been established, wiping the defence out.

His teammate, Dwayne Smith, was present in the dressing room at Drummoyne Oval in Sydney's inner west at the time of the alleged incident on February 11, 2015. He gave evidence it "did not happen" and said "that's something you would remember" if it did happen.

Ms Russell told the court Gayle asked her, "Are you looking for this?" and "pulled his towel out and down" to expose the top of his penis."

Chris Gayle to receive half of defamation payout pending appeal

https://www.theage.com.au/national/chris-gayle-to-receive-half-of-defamation-payout-pending-appeal-20181211-p50llt.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 18 of 37   

Jump to: