Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The 'me too' movement

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:42 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Grim stuff, hey.
K 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:52 pm

I guess if you have to choose one message from the whole long story, it's this: parents cannot rely on their children speaking up and telling them the grim truth. Which of course makes things very difficult.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:58 pm

Yep, something to keep in mind re: Pell and Jackson. We need to get to a point where children feel more able to talk about these crimes when they occur, although obviously even better would be to find ways to prevent them from happening in the first place.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:30 pm

Another notable thing: the grandmother took the side of her husband over her daughter. (I don't know if this was even after the convictions.)
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:43 pm

I expect denial plays a huge role in many of these things. People just don’t want to believe it’s possible for people they love or admire to commit such crimes, for fairly obvious reasons. See exhibit a, Michael Jackson fans.
K 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:49 pm

Yes. In this case, though, they had the evidence of the guilty party's videos.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:33 am

K wrote:
Here is Neil deGrasse Tyson's FB response referred to in the article quoted above:

https://www.facebook.com/notes/neil-degrasse-tyson/on-being-accused/10156870826326613/

Here are the Patheos stories:

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/nosacredcows/2018/11/exclusive-neil-degrasse-tysons-rape-accuser-gives-first-public-interview/

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/nosacredcows/2018/11/two-more-women-accuse-neil-degrasse-tyson-of-sexual-misconduct/

And the NY Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/01/arts/neil-degrasse-tyson-sexual-misconduct.html

Neil deGrasse Tyson Will Return to TV After Misconduct Investigation

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/15/arts/neil-degrasse-tyson-sexual-misconduct.html

"... the broadcasters of his shows announced Friday that they had completed their investigation into sexual misconduct allegations against him.

The statement did not say what investigators concluded about the complaints.

Ms. Amet said she was interviewed by a representative from Fox as part of its investigation, as well as someone from the American Museum of Natural History, where Dr. Tyson directs the Hayden Planetarium. A spokeswoman for the museum said its investigation was not complete.

“I feel ignored,” Ms. Amet said on Friday. She said she planned to become “more vocal, more active” in response."
K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:25 am

Barbra Streisand criticised for defending Michael Jackson, saying abuse 'didn't kill' his victims

'The legendary singer and actress said that Wade Robson and James Safechuck ... “were thrilled to be there” and that what allegedly happened to them “didn’t kill them."

In a wide-ranging interview published on Friday by The Times in London, Streisand says she believes the accusations made by Wade Robson, 36, and James Safechuck, 40, in the recent HBO documentary, Leaving Neverland.

"Oh, absolutely. That was too painful," says Streisand, who told the paper she met Jackson a couple of times and turned down his request for a duet of "I Just Can't Stop Loving You." "He was very sweet, very childlike."

Asked about the abusive behaviour alleged in the documentary, Streisand says: "His sexual needs were his sexual needs, coming from whatever childhood he has or whatever DNA he has."

Streisand says she has a combination of feelings about the situation. "I feel bad for the children. I feel bad for him. I blame, I guess, the parents, who would allow their children to sleep with him." '

(USA Today)
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 7:54 am

Gees that’s shocking, I can’t believe she said that.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:07 am

More:

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/23/arts/barbra-streisand-michael-jackson.html

"On Saturday, Ms. Streisand clarified her comments in a statement.

“To be crystal clear, there is no situation or circumstance where it is O.K. for the innocence of children to be taken advantage of by anyone,” she said.

In her statement on Saturday, Ms. Streisand reiterated her feelings about the children’s parents.

“The single most important role of being a parent is to protect their children,” she said. “It’s clear that the parents of the two young men were also victimized and seduced by fame and fantasy.” "
K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:39 pm

Craig McLachlan fights indecent assault charges as one count dropped

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/craig-mclachlan-fights-indecent-assault-charges-as-one-count-dropped-20190405-p51b7g.html

"... on Friday defence counsel Stuart Littlemore, QC, successfully applied for the case to stay before a magistrate as a contested hearing rather than go as a trial before a County Court judge and jury, meaning lesser penalties will apply if Mr McLachlan is found guilty.

Prosecutors did not oppose Mr Littlemore's application, and magistrate Johanna Metcalf, after reading the allegations in her chambers for 25 minutes, ruled it was appropriate the case stayed in the lower court.

"These are offences that are commonly dealt with in this jurisdiction," Ms Metcalf said. "There is clearly adequate sentencing capacity in this jurisdiction."

Mr McLachlan is yet to formally enter a plea but Mr Littlemore said his client would fight the charges.

The defamation trial has been postponed until the criminal proceedings are finished."
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:04 pm

Rush wins his defamation case against The Daily Telegraph – payout not yet specified, but the judge is suggesting $850,000 (which constitutes aggravated damages).

https://www.theguardian.com/media/live/2019/apr/11/geoffrey-rush-news-corp-defamation-case-verdict-handed-down-live

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:01 pm

What about the accusers? Do they just walk away scot-free?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:37 pm

Wokko wrote:
What about the accusers? Do they just walk away scot-free?

It was the newspaper here that was subject to defamation: they'll have to pay a minimum of $850K & hopefully a hell of a lot more to Rush

The woman making the accusations didn't want to be dragged into the whole drama and told someone privately - she was brought in as a defence witness: she didn't take Rush to court and I don't think his team called her as a witness for the prosecution.

She stil stands by what she said, the judge here found that she embellishe her story at times and was less than relaible

The judge noted it was "journalism of the worst kind": he obviously doesn't read Brietbart.

Moreover the judge found there were no winners here (although not in those words) in an adversarial system for defamation. Rush was defamed by the newspaper / media not the woman who made private accusations

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:04 pm

^

correct. I feel sorry for her, she didn't seek this, didn't lodge a complaint and got dragged into it.

Rush doesn't win either, despite the finding and payout, as mud sticks and it will effect his box office cred whether he deserves it or not.

Both come out with their reputations sullied.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 24, 25, 26 ... 35, 36, 37  Next
Page 25 of 37   

Jump to: