Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Has the recruitment of Wells and Mayne ruined our chances?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:46 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
One or two places higher up in the draft order and Bontempelli would be playing for us rather than the Western Bulldogs and we wouldn't be having this conversation about Freeman and Scharenberg.

True, but it’s a lottery whether you have pick 4 or 6, and our luck has well and truly been out.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:49 pm

What is your credit card number?
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:16 pm

Mugwump wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
One or two places higher up in the draft order and Bontempelli would be playing for us rather than the Western Bulldogs and we wouldn't be having this conversation about Freeman and Scharenberg.

True, but it’s a lottery whether you have pick 4 or 6, and our luck has well and truly been out.

A more simplistic view is to say with either 6 or 10, Patrick Cripps was still there ( went at 12 from memory )
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:28 pm

^ now I’m really depressed.... take Freeman, miss Cripps. Sigh.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:11 pm

Hopefully not to top you off, but we could have had Charlie Curnow or Sam Weideman with the pick we traded for Treloar.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:13 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Hopefully not to top you off, but we could have had Charlie Curnow or Sam Weideman with the pick we traded for Treloar.

Make that PICKS

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:37 pm

If your aunty had balls she'd be your uncle.... what is the point of if, but maybe?

I wouldn't swap Trelaor for anyone, a Brownlow medallist in the next coupla years and a few flags too!

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:27 pm

They’ve probably affected our chances of finshing 9th, rather than 12th, if that matters.
BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:31 pm

Mugwump wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
Not at all. Even if I accept your assumptions on what they are costing us (I don't).

The number 1 thing that has held us back is the failure (through injuries and idiocy) of our top 10 picks to date. A couple of free agents don't make that much of a difference to our hopes.

Noises from the club suggests we'll be after a big fish this off season, so the tightness of our cap is almost certainly over stated. I'm always wary of these signings though, it is very easy to give up more than you should for a quick fix.

^ this. Freeman, Scharenberg, DeGoey. If two two of these top ten picks had been elite quality, we’d be top four by now.

When 1 of 5 players 'come on' from Grundy, Freeman, Sharenberg, Kennedy and Broomhead, there lies your problem and then with the Wells and Mayne deals, it doesn't look so good...Wells was always going to be a challenge, I agreed with his selection but hasn't paid off so far.

daicos from the boundry 

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:36 pm

I don’t see how the recruitment of two players under free agency has cost us. Money wise yes. Are they stopping someone’s progress. No. Wells better in our side than someone else.
I can see why they recruited Mayne for his forward pressure as that was one of Richmond’s strengths last year in winning a flag. Was one of ours in 2011. Its the length of the contract I didn’t like for a guy in his late 20’s. Games build on defence these days all over the ground spreading and scoring on turn over. Wells hardly turns it over.

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:43 pm
Post subject: Re: Has the recruitment of Wells and Mayne ruined our chanceReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
In the brief period that Gabby Allan was our head of football, we recruited on very big money both Wells and Mayne. The latter has clearly been a disaster and the length and size of his contract will damage us for another 3 seasons. Unless there's a miraculous change in his performances, I'd say it's looking like the recruitment of Wells has been almost as disastrous. He is on big money, this year and next, and so far has been unable to string many games together. Furthermore, he seems to be a complete mercenary, who only came here for the money, and then didn't bother to arrive in good shape. My estimation is that these 2 players represent about $1.25 million each year of our salary cap. That money could have been spent on a Dusty Martin type. I can't help but think Eddie's decision to go out on a limb and bring in Allan over the top of Balme has caused lasting damage to our club.

There's no way they are costing us 1.25 mil. Mayne is widely quoted as being on 500k for 4 years. Wells has been anywhere from under 500k + incentives to 600k.

Yeah they have been expensive from a salary cap point of view and Mayne's deal was always too long, whether he had have clicked with us or not. But to say a couple of FA's, one of whom may only play with us for 2 years is ruining us for ages is OTT. Setting us back? Sure. If anyone expensive fails to fire, it sets you back. Lasting damage? Nah. Plenty of other factors you could look at there.

With a desired 22 as young as ours was, getting some old guys on big coin isn't as dangerous as it normally would be. Stuffing up you draft picks? Much bigger issue.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:30 am

Skids wrote:
If your aunty had balls she'd be your uncle.... what is the point of if, but maybe?

I wouldn't swap Trelaor for anyone, a Brownlow medallist in the next coupla years and a few flags too!

I didn't realise we were trading Treloar after this year.
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:38 am

Surely its not as bad as we think. Im ok with spending salary cap money on free agents that didnt cost us picks. The money had to be spent, right??

Ok so Mayne has been a flop but he could have been a hack from VFL costing us $200k pa, same difference. Its the money that had to be spent anyway. If we were tight for cap space...different story.

Who really knows our salary cap spending and workings?? Board does for sure. Is this for public perusal?? Im not sure. If it is, then could someone put it up for all of us to see so we arent playing pretendies ... pretending we know everything and even worse having arguments about something we know nothing about.

What we have to be careful about is throwing everything at a player (high draft picks + salary cap space ) and the said player has an injury history and then he walks on the ground for his first training session with us and goes down injured with the exact injury we knew about along.

That would be a big breach in our duty of care towards the club and supporters, which is why we better bloody do our due diligence when considering a mammoth deal for 1 player.

How's Camerons' injury history...hmm??

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:53 am

magpieazza wrote:

Not as bad as you'd think.

What stands out though is that when he did his ankle, he either came back early or didn't fix it properly as he went down for longer later in the year. Ditto with his hammies last year. 3 * 2 week absences. Both injuries bookended games with limited impact so yeah.. maybe likes to bring himself back too early
magpieazza 

magpieazza

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:08 pm

Geek wrote:
magpieazza wrote:

Not as bad as you'd think.

What stands out though is that when he did his ankle, he either came back early or didn't fix it properly as he went down for longer later in the year. Ditto with his hammies last year. 3 * 2 week absences. Both injuries bookended games with limited impact so yeah.. maybe likes to bring himself back too early

OK heres hoping the hammies stand up along with the ankle. Could be a matter of better management from medical staff. I hope we get him and he leads us to a premiership. Fingers crossed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4   

Jump to: