Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Has the recruitment of Wells and Mayne ruined our chances?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's not talk about the recruitment of Wells, but what was our recruitment department thinking when we recruited Mayne? Applies no physical pressure on the field so it's a mystery to me why he was ever called a defensive forward. Third cab of the rank, even Crocker gets a game ahead of him after Goldsack goes down. And to think we have another 3 years of watching him.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:14 pm

Rumour has it that Wells re injured his calf this afternoon. Can anyone confirm?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:24 pm

According to the official site, he was scheduled to play a half today and did. No new calf injury is mentioned.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 7:53 pm

if the club isn't saying anything, then Wells has had his leg amputated and will be listed as 1-2 weeks
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:18 pm

It hasn't ruined our chances because they didn't cost us anything in trade and it should be remembered we had no first round selection in 2016 so we had limited ability to trade for something far better and no top 10 draft selection to fill a vacant list post.

It did of course cost us a fair amount in cap space which I assume limited our ability to trade for players this off season if any were of interest.

Given a choice between Wells and Mayne or a Stringer as an example and I'm taking a punt on the latter.

As others have noted we may needed to use cap space to achieve a minimum but I don't think this has ever been confirmed by the club so mightn't be fact.

The reality is the deals for Mayne and Wells just don't pass the sniff test and are the actions you'd expect of a club smack bang in a premiership window or at worse one that isn't being very well list managed.

I don't blame Mayne for taking the deal on offer as it was an absurd one while Wells given his age and injury history was always a 50/50 bet at best.

We might yet get some value out of Wells for another 2 seasons but it's unlikely we'll see any return on our investment in Mayne.

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 10:40 pm

Wells is essentially a 2 weeks on 2 weeks off player. Can't play a full season because his body is cactus and the less said about mayne the better. Both will be gone by the end of the season.

grubby should have been castrated for allowing that deal to go through. How the club allowed it is beyond me. Maybe Kim Jong Ed gave him the green light with all things trades who knows.
Cruisinwithdids 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:29 pm
Post subject: Re: Has the recruitment of Wells and Mayne ruined our chanceReply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
In the brief period that Gabby Allan was our head of football, we recruited on very big money both Wells and Mayne. The latter has clearly been a disaster and the length and size of his contract will damage us for another 3 seasons. Unless there's a miraculous change in his performances, I'd say it's looking like the recruitment of Wells has been almost as disastrous. He is on big money, this year and next, and so far has been unable to string many games together. Furthermore, he seems to be a complete mercenary, who only came here for the money, and then didn't bother to arrive in good shape. My estimation is that these 2 players represent about $1.25 million each year of our salary cap. That money could have been spent on a Dusty Martin type. I can't help but think Eddie's decision to go out on a limb and bring in Allan over the top of Balme has caused lasting damage to our club.

Rudeboy, we can blame Allen all we like but MCGuires judgement in getting him to the club with a pending suspension, allowing him to make key decisions and replace Balme is disastrous management on every level. MCGuire is the one that needs to go - it would probably help Buckley getting out of his shadow also.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:50 am

The Mayne deal is a disaster, and will continue to haunt us up until his contract expiry date.

Wells is a clean ball user of the ball and whenever he's played he's been an asset, especially in a team that isn't known for having great ball users so he stands out in this regard. However, the lack of appearances in the senior side is a concern though and it seems he'll never fully recover from his niggling calf injuries, so realistically we can only manage it the best we can.

At least we didn't lose anything in terms of picks or players as these recruits weren't obtained via trading, but from what I can gather we have plenty of salary cap room, hence the rumours of us going after Lynch at the end of the season.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:53 am

Aren't all clean ball user of the ball and he's played he's been an asset in a team that isn't known for having great ball users so he stands out in this regard Wells?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:24 am

Yes, Jezza - the salary cap was the thing. Because we're obliged to pay a minimum amount each year, we had to take on some expensive players. One way of keeping salary cap room for big acquisitions is to top up your list with what is, essentially, expensive ballast. The length of the contracts surprised me but there may be handshake deals about that, too.

After watching Wells run laps of Arden Street most days for 15 years (I live about 3 blocks from there) because he "had a niggle", the decision to recruit him baffled me. Beautiful player, when he's up and going, though - and I suppose it makes easier watching Adams kick if you can imagine that, at some time in the future, he might be handballing it off to Wells, instead of kicking it onto Dale Thomas' chest at CHB. We can all dream.
Seth 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:04 am

Wont comment on Mayne really, what a spud!

How is Wells a good pickup if he is playing in the twos or not at all?? How is playing 10 games real value. Great player but gotta be playing. Terrible recruiting both of them.
Seth 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:07 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
One or two places higher up in the draft order and Bontempelli would be playing for us rather than the Western Bulldogs and we wouldn't be having this conversation about Freeman and Scharenberg.

Sorry mate but we chose Freeman (10) and perhaps Scharenberg (6) before Patrick Cripps (13) who will be a star. Thats the tragedy here.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:51 am

Mayne - Yes
Wells - No

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:13 pm

swoop42 wrote:
It hasn't ruined our chances because they didn't cost us anything in trade and it should be remembered we had no first round selection in 2016 so we had limited ability to trade for something far better and no top 10 draft selection to fill a vacant list post.

It did of course cost us a fair amount in cap space which I assume limited our ability to trade for players this off season if any were of interest.

Given a choice between Wells and Mayne or a Stringer as an example and I'm taking a punt on the latter.

As others have noted we may needed to use cap space to achieve a minimum but I don't think this has ever been confirmed by the club so mightn't be fact.

The reality is the deals for Mayne and Wells just don't pass the sniff test and are the actions you'd expect of a club smack bang in a premiership window or at worse one that isn't being very well list managed.

I don't blame Mayne for taking the deal on offer as it was an absurd one while Wells given his age and injury history was always a 50/50 bet at best.

We might yet get some value out of Wells for another 2 seasons but it's unlikely we'll see any return on our investment in Mayne.

My point was that it's cost a lot of salary cap space, which could have been spent on an absolute gun player. There's still some hope that Wells will play some good footy, but his record to date is not promising, and he seems to be a rather mercenary character, which is not great for team morale. Imo, the decision to recruit these 2 players, plus the disastrous wasting of high prized draft picks on Scharenberg and Freeman have set us back 5 years.

But despite these setbacks, I'm backing Bucks to get our team back into the finals this year. Cool
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:43 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
swoop42 wrote:

My point was that it's cost a lot of salary cap space, which could have been spent on an absolute gun player. There's still some hope that Wells will play some good footy, but his record to date is not promising, and he seems to be a rather mercenary character, which is not great for team morale. Imo, the decision to recruit these 2 players, plus the disastrous wasting of high prized draft picks on Scharenberg and Freeman have set us back 5 years.

But despite these setbacks, I'm backing Bucks to get our team back into the finals this year. Cool

Needs to go in the time capsule.

I hope we are going to be in the finals. However my confidence is that I've already booked tickets to Cairns for the Great QLD bike tour this year in the first 2 weeks of September 2018.

I'll still go to all the matches in Melbourne & barrack like mad. I have us finishing about 12th.

That is in a time capsule

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4   

Jump to: