Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The President Eddie McGuire Debate v2.0

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do I still want E McGuire as President of my football club?
Yes - still the best person for the job
35%
 35%  [ 35 ]
No - has run his race and we need fresh ideas
65%
 65%  [ 65 ]
Total Votes : 100

Ads7 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:24 pm
Post subject: The President Eddie McGuire Debate v2.0Reply with quote

A poll on this was run almost 1 year ago and I'd like to see what Nicksters think about this now, taking into consideration the review and the fact that Bucks and Ed are still in their same roles.

IMO, Ed's tenure has been far too long and well surpasses the average tenure of a President of an organisation such as ours. Time for a shake up.

From some accounts, a breath of fresh air has swept through the Club due to some of the changes out of the review, however, arguably, Ed and Bucks are the nucleus of the Club (as President and Head Coach) so how much can really change until they go?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:38 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I said time to go, simply because 20 years in one job you have to lose perspective. I'd like Ed to go out while people still like him, not like Elliot at Carlton who they tried to erase from their history.
Achilles 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:44 pm

And who would you have replace him?
Ads7 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:52 pm

Achilles wrote:

Personally, I don't know. I would think a number of people would like the job but I would like to see some recruitment experts / consultants / the Board make the call on who would be best.

If one of the problems is there is simply no suitable alternative to Ed and that's why we keep him in then perhaps we just aren't looking hard enough.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:04 pm

Achilles wrote:

You don't need to have someone ready to replace him. That's why you run a process. You don't identify a mate and then run a pretend process to fill the position. It's not jobs for mates, but rather allow the most appropriate person to apply and win the position on merit.

Last edited by What'sinaname on Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:09 pm

He was a Great President pre-2010 but since making the Change Over he has UnDone all his Good Work and we are back where we where when he Took Over
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:14 pm

Unfortunately, Eddie is self serving these days. Take for example, his pretend sob story about how last year, he was on the verge of stepping down before his heroic sons convinced him to stay on by wearing their Collingwood jumpers after the Carlton loss.

So brave!

So full of shit!

K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:24 pm

^^^
History has given reason to be somewhat concerned when people in sport (typically, the players) start bringing in their children. A certain sportsman trying to cling on to his career comes to mind --- in that case, his words seemed a calculated attempt to back the selectors into a corner.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:26 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Unfortunately, Eddie is self serving these days. Take for example, his pretend sob story about how last year, he was on the verge of stepping down before his heroic sons convinced him to stay on by wearing their Collingwood jumpers after the Carlton loss.

So brave!

So full of shit!

IF he wanted the best for Collingwood he would Quit as President

Crimson Mask 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:29 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I'd like Ed to go out while people still like him

Bit late for that as far as I am concerned.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:17 pm

Achilles wrote:

I don't have visibility of those who may take the job, so I can't say I have a preferred candidate.

Look, I like Ed, I like his passion and I like what he's done for the club. I just think after 20 years it's time for change. That may be bad, it may be good, but it will be different.

dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:28 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:

So brave!

So full of shit!

IF he wanted the best for Collingwood he would Quit as President

And you'd support Frankston

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:10 pm

I bet most people off the top of there heads couldn't name more than a few of the other club Presidents.

You don't have to be a high profile President to be a good President.

Look at all the people who scoffed at Peggy O'Neal when first appointed.

Who should replace him?

Most likely someone who is intelligent, is a good communicator, has an ability to build upon current club relationships or identify opportunity to form new ones, has leadership experience, has a strong background in business, law or academia, is humble enough to relate to the common supporter and yet has reached a station in life that they can afford to dedicate the time required.

Of course they need to be passionate Collingwood people also.

As for the name well who knows the best candidate might be the one we the supporters currently have never heard of or it could be someone presently on the board but with the size of our supporter base it's difficult to imagine we couldn't unearth someone who is suitably qualified to take over the reigns from Ed.

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:16 pm

What'sinaname wrote:

So brave!

So full of shit!

ah yes, I remember that. Brings a tear to my eye. From what I recall his kids gave him the pointy pointy, reinflated his ego with more shit and everyone lived happily ever after.
K 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:24 pm

swoop42 wrote:
Who should replace him?

Most likely someone who is intelligent, is a good communicator, has an ability to build upon current club relationships or identify opportunity to form new ones, has leadership experience, has a strong background in business, law or academia, is humble enough to relate to the common supporter and yet has reached a station in life that they can afford to dedicate the time required.

Of course they need to be passionate Collingwood people also.

More simply, it needs to be someone modern in thinking, in the sense of believing in professionalism, proper process and accountability. That includes believing in getting people with specialized skills and qualifications to do jobs requiring those particular attributes, with everyone knowing his role and not trying to interfere with other people's roles in areas outside his capabilities. (For example, it's not good if a president decides to try to coach the players at half-time.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8   

Jump to: