Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The President Eddie McGuire Debate v2.0

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Do I still want E McGuire as President of my football club?
Yes - still the best person for the job
35%
 35%  [ 35 ]
No - has run his race and we need fresh ideas
65%
 65%  [ 65 ]
Total Votes : 100

joffa corfe 

PREMIERS 2010

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:50 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed's ok

Side By Side

Go Pies Smile

BEAMER09 

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:12 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
Unfortunately, Eddie is self serving these days. Take for example, his pretend sob story about how last year, he was on the verge of stepping down before his heroic sons convinced him to stay on by wearing their Collingwood jumpers after the Carlton loss.

So brave!

So full of shit!

IF he wanted the best for Collingwood he would Quit as President

If he wanted the best for Collingwood, Bucks should've been replaced 2-3 years ago...

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:33 am

Unless Eddie decides to step aside beforehand, I don't think he should serve another term after his current term expires at the end of 2019. I've been reluctant to replace him without an adequate replacement being found first, but I think the time has come whether it be now or in the next 18 months.

He's been president for nearly 20 years, and I think the club would benefit from a fresh face with fresh ideas. We're forever grateful to him for helping the club when it was in trouble and stuck in a rut in the late 1990s, but no one lasts forever.

If Buckley was to fail after his latest contract renewal, which is becoming increasingly likely by each passing day then Eddie needs to fall on his sword and take responsibility for the shortcomings the club has endured for a few years now.

From my research, the longest serving president in the history of the game was our very own president, Harry Curtis, who served as our president from 1924 to 1950, which is a 26 year span. The only other term that goes beyond 20 years as well is Jack Jennings with Geelong who served as their president from 1946 to 1970.

As it currently stands, Eddie is clearly the longest serving president with nearly 20 years under his belt, followed by Adelaide chairman Rob Chapman who has served a term of 8 years so far.

In regards to recent presidents/chairmans, the longest serving are as follows:
- Richard Colless (Sydney) = 1993-2013 (20)
- Eddie McGuire (Colingwood) = 1998-Present (20)
- John Elliott (Carlton) = 1983-2002 (19)
- Bill Sanders (Adelaide) = 1991-2009 (18]
- David Smorgon (Western Bulldogs) = 1996-2012 (16)
- Greg Boulton (Port Adelaide) = 1993-2008 (15)
- Frank Costa (Geelong) = 1998-2010 (12)

I don't know who would replace him, but hopefully a proper process would take place to find the best candidate possible to take this club forward.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:56 am

^^^
Yes, I've been pondering these historical questions myself for the last few months (it having been a newsworthy topic since the Murphy review, partially revealed at the Member Forum). One question is whether these long-serving modern-era presidents did more good than harm in the second halves of their presidencies. Clearly, John Elliott almost destroyed his club. The question in his case is whether that destructive behaviour was simply from some time in the 90s or whether he was like that right from the start and simply did not pay a price until later. Does anyone have thoughts on 80s Elliott??
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:12 am

Elliott was charged in the 1990s with corrouption offences and on at least one occasion he got off on a flagrant technicality due to inadmissible evidence. He then ran a business (water wheel holdings - milling rice) which resulted in him being charged with trading while insolvent and banned as a company director.

Elliott then ran Carlton into problems through salary cap cheating, which seems, prima facie, consistent with the abovementioned behaviour.

He’s not really comparable with McGuire, whose essential business ethics have never been seriously questioned.

K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 5:27 am

Yeah, the idea was not to compare personalities. Elliott was also a product of a different era, a dinosaur in today's terms (as was our Al M). The idea is to compare the same person's performances in the early years and late years. The issue is whether after a certain time everyone tends to show staleness, previously hidden flaws, and possibly erratic behaviour.
ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:09 am

Mugwump wrote:
Elliott was charged in the 1990s with corrouption offences and on at least one occasion he got off on a flagrant technicality due to inadmissible evidence. He then ran a business (water wheel holdings - milling rice) which resulted in him being charged with trading while insolvent and banned as a company director.

Elliott then ran Carlton into problems through salary cap cheating, which seems, prima facie, consistent with the abovementioned behaviour.

He’s not really comparable with McGuire, whose essential business ethics have never been seriously questioned.

I was called up to do jury duty that week and we had a notice that said tell your employer we are only panelling one case and it could take up to 2 years and maybe 2 weeks to empanel a jury. My boss was a Army Officer, and a UK exchange one at that, and said if you front up I will charge you. My response was with what? I am a civilian. Try that and you will be in lockup the next day and on a plane back to the UK. Rang on the Sunday night and they said no juries where required for 2 weeks. I was looking forward to a few years of days off, afternoon golf and sleep ins. The good people of Bridgewater on Loddon wanted him dead, and I dare say some some still do. Months later got slotted into a kiddy fiddler case and would much rather have dealt with listening to accountants than a 12 year old tell us how her Dad and stepmother met a dickhead "uncle jeff" at a pub in Doveton and invited him not only to stay in in their housing commission rental home but share a room with a 10 year old girl.

hot pie Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:49 am

Lets not bag "the ED" he has been one of our greatest servants for the club and it's members.

However it's time for new blood with new ideas and someone from outside the boys club.

Finding someone with the skills it will take to run the biggest club in the land will not be an easy one.

We should take the same approach that Eddie instigated with Malthouse and Buckley and have a transition period.

I would love to see Eddie stay on with a role at the club, but we need fresh ideas and someone to stop the Geoff Walsh recruiting disasters
K 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:43 am

On Richard Colless:

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/sport/richard-colless-inherited-a-hospital-case/news-story/ae0453e4c15d722a5498b0a9f05a740e?sv=bdc0a2f676a2faaa62296633be88cdaa

Quote:
"I have never seen a greater mess. I could not imagine it being any lower," Barassi said.

Yet Colless, who was West Coast's inaugural chairman and was a well-regarded coach at amateur level in Western Australia, turned it around.

The important thing initially was sharpening the administration of the club.

"It proves once again that the cornerstone of on-field success depends on the administration. It is the administration first," Barassi said.
Tully 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 9:06 am

Quote:
[quote="swoop42"]
Quote:

Who should replace him?

Most likely someone who is intelligent, is a good communicator, has an ability to build upon current club relationships or identify opportunity to form new ones, has leadership experience, has a strong background in business, law or academia, is humble enough to relate to the common supporter and yet has reached a station in life that they can afford to dedicate the time required.

Of course they need to be passionate Collingwood people als
o.

Sounds like our current President.!

Eddie stays.
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:12 pm
Post subject: GO 1-5, and its all over for Bucks and Eddie.!Reply with quote

AS everyone knows, I have been a huge backer of Bucks, and I do realise we had some key forwards out v the Hawks. However, the Dawks are no longer a power side, and the way we surrendered was very disappointing, very poor way to open the season. Even my patience is now running out, and I just feel if we are 1-5 after six rounds, its all over for Bucks and Eddie, both must go. We cannot amble along the way we are, we can still turn things around, but its real tough with the GWS in rare form, this week. Long as we have a red hot go, I guess that's all we can ask.

But, I just think after six rounds, and if we are 1-5, time is up for Bucks and Eddie, and the Club can make a fresh start, try some things new, bit of flair and excitement, throw caution to the wind. ! The hawks loss gutted me, I'm not done yet, but this week is a vital game all round. Mad

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:25 pm

TGWS are the .frankenstein team, fed years of fat draft concessions. I expect them to murder nearly everybody this year, us included. Round 3 will tell us the story.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:56 pm

Disagree to an extent. I’m prepared to keep my powder dry until around round 15.
Yes, we could easily be 1 - 5 after the first six but depending on who is available or not, we could also ( easily ) be 7 or 8 wins from 14 games and with a bit of momentum.
For mine, its the teams we play between rounds 7 through to 15 ( bye round 13 ) that will tell us more. MOST in that grouping are beatable on exposed form but if we don’t, then once and for all, we would proven to have gone backwards even further.
Like it or not, the deal has been done and Bucks needs the benefit of this season to show us some improvement. However, surely all bets are off for 2019 if the improvement isn’t there though.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:00 pm

I understand. Let's get back to that later.
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:04 pm

At 0-3, Bucks must go....cant tolerate another loss to Carlton

At 0-6, Eddie must follow him out the door.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8   

Jump to: