Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies down to Giants - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:29 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you free?
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:20 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:
Hawks smashing Geelong. Looking a top 8, even 4, team right now.

A 1 point win.

Makes our round one loss not so bad. We'll beat the Hawks next time and we'll smash Geelong.

Geelong doesn't frighten me any more after watching them against Hawthorn. The problem is there are better teams around than Hawthorn and Geelong.

Should add GWS are a wonderful side. Good effort to get within 16 points from them.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 8:53 pm

Achilles wrote:
Begs the question, why havent we learnt from the best? What are they practicing?

To me, this is arguably the single most relevant question that needs to be asked of our footy dept.
The game has changed so much so quickly. First it was corridor protection, then it was the decision between an extra in the back half or around the ball.
The last premierships have rewritten the record books for time in possession ( in your own forward 50 )

So all that poses the question, are we developing a game plan that our players cant execute ? Have we gone with a plan B because the coaches dont think we have the cattle to execute their preferred plan A ?
Can you really expect your structures to hold up with so many injuries at one time ?
One of Collingwood biggest problems is that Fasalo and Elliot are currently in the best front six for scoring but neither are great defensively and this is now more important than ever. Thats means for our list in its current state, its a catch 22.
If we set up a front six that is disciplined, SMART and capable of repeat pressure inside forward 50, then we start to exclude guys like Fasalo and Elliot ( to a lesser extent ) who are our better avenues to goal.
Having said that, Im sure they would like to get Elliot up the ground because he is a serious player but they just cant get him fit.

There are no easy solutions with this current list. We have to keep culling and make sure we rebuild with all the right pieces of the forward 50 pressure puzzle ( and thats just one area of the ground )

All that aside, its all just further confirmation that Clarkson is easily the best in business. Pick up two young gun inside mids who get first hands on the ball and then trust their structures to do the rest.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:37 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

A 1 point win.

Makes our round one loss not so bad. We'll beat the Hawks next time and we'll smash Geelong.

Yeah, nah.
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:25 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

A 1 point win.

Yeah, nah.

Wishful thinking.

3rd degree Aries

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:23 am

The Boy Who Cried Wolf wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

A 1 point win.

Yeah, nah.

Wishful thinking.

In saying that we do seem to give the handbaggers some trouble, smashing them maybe not but we have a good record over them.

www.facebook/the hybernators
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 12:32 pm

On Hawthorn: Stratton made me think of the word Backpfeifengesicht.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:06 pm

K wrote:
On Hawthorn: Stratton made me think of the word Backpfeifengesicht.

I think yopu might might be confusing him with Sicily.

On second thoughts the word has direct application for both players.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 1:17 pm

Stratton for me. But you can take Sicily.

Perhaps we should start a poll.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:57 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

A 1 point win.

Geelong doesn't frighten me any more after watching them against Hawthorn. The problem is there are better teams around than Hawthorn and Geelong.

Should add GWS are a wonderful side. Good effort to get within 16 points from them.

Having said all that, blokes.... it is through sheer dumb luck that Geelong, for all their "superstars" aren't keeping us, Carlton, North and Brisvegas company at the bottom of the ladder at W/L 0:2, had it not been for Gawn's astray shot on goal in the final minute.

The variable here is, we don't yet know if Whorethorn have reestablished themselves as a top eight side yet, despite having a solid 2nd half to finish 2017 season.

So we MAY have already played two final top 8 teams for 2018.
If so, at least those games are out of the way now, without really decimating our percentage in the process.

So right now heading into round 3, things aren't all that gloomy; although another loss this week might effectively end any final eight aspirations.

I don't consider this an ideal start to the season, but we've had worse.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 6:39 pm

^^^
Sadly, I fear the hawks are almost the real deal.
Very solid S tructure at the back, repeat pressure in the front and good at getting first hands on the ball at stoppages and clearances.
Its the perfect storm for a tilt into September. ( Sigh )
K 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:53 pm

^^^
If that turns out to be the case, they really will be worth looking at to see what they are doing right. I guess Sydney have been up for a long time too, but without all the premierships.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 8:15 pm

piedys wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
MightyMagpie wrote:

A 1 point win.

Having said all that, blokes.... it is through sheer dumb luck that Geelong, for all their "superstars" aren't keeping us, Carlton, North and Brisvegas company at the bottom of the ladder at W/L 0:2, had it not been for Gawn's astray shot on goal in the final minute.

The variable here is, we don't yet know if Whorethorn have reestablished themselves as a top eight side yet, despite having a solid 2nd half to finish 2017 season.

So we MAY have already played two final top 8 teams for 2018.
If so, at least those games are out of the way now, without really decimating our percentage in the process.

So right now heading into round 3, things aren't all that gloomy; although another loss this week might effectively end any final eight aspirations.

I don't consider this an ideal start to the season, but we've had worse.

Tru dat.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2018 11:47 pm

I watched the replay again yesterday and we were one quality tall away from winning that game. We were within 4 points of them with 4 minutes to go, and what did for us was the lack of anyone to bring it to ground in the forward line in the last 15 minutes of the game. It probably didn't help either that we played half the game with two soldiers down (they had one). Reid or Moore would have made the difference. It was a huge performance from a very committed side against massive odds, and I am proud of Nathan and the boys. Just bring that spirit to Friday and we will get home, even against the quality oppo that Carlton (fortified by draft picks after 20 years of shitfulness) provide nowadays.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:20 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
Achilles wrote:
Begs the question, why havent we learnt from the best? What are they practicing?

To me, this is arguably the single most relevant question that needs to be asked of our footy dept.
The game has changed so much so quickly. First it was corridor protection, then it was the decision between an extra in the back half or around the ball.
The last premierships have rewritten the record books for time in possession ( in your own forward 50 )

So all that poses the question, are we developing a game plan that our players cant execute ? Have we gone with a plan B because the coaches dont think we have the cattle to execute their preferred plan A ?
Can you really expect your structures to hold up with so many injuries at one time ?
One of Collingwood biggest problems is that Fasalo and Elliot are currently in the best front six for scoring but neither are great defensively and this is now more important than ever. Thats means for our list in its current state, its a catch 22.
If we set up a front six that is disciplined, SMART and capable of repeat pressure inside forward 50, then we start to exclude guys like Fasalo and Elliot ( to a lesser extent ) who are our better avenues to goal.
Having said that, Im sure they would like to get Elliot up the ground because he is a serious player but they just cant get him fit.

There are no easy solutions with this current list. We have to keep culling and make sure we rebuild with all the right pieces of the forward 50 pressure puzzle ( and thats just one area of the ground )

All that aside, its all just further confirmation that Clarkson is easily the best in business. Pick up two young gun inside mids who get first hands on the ball and then trust their structures to do the rest.

To be fair, I imagine that was the rationale in trading for Adams and Treloar.....

Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17   

Jump to: