Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Buckley coaching better than we think...?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:11 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

PyreneesPie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
[ fundamentally he has the right instincts even if he has made mistakes.

Travis Cloke said in his recent interview that Bucks has an amazing football brain, equal to the best. Trav then added rather sheepishly that the trouble is he can make things too complicated, because "some of us footballers are pretty dumb". He said that with a smile.

A wise man once said that a strategy you can’t execute is as bad as having no strategy at all, and ultimately it is up to the coach or leader to translate messages into terms that the average worker can understand. So finally, that too rests at Nathan's door. If that has been an issue in the past, maybe he is learning about that too.

I don’t want to suggest that Buckley has been a great coach. He has obviously had his flaws, and they were inevitable as he has learned from a low base under difficult conditions. I just think he has improved and he gets the best out of a flawed list at present. The good news is that the list is finally improving markedly, and so will his record as it does so.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:15 am

Mugwump wrote:
I just think he has improved and he gets the best out of a flawed list at present. The good news is that the list is finally improving markedly, and so will his record as it does so.

I agree with everything or most everything else you've wrote recently i.e not just this post, but not so much on these points.

He obviously hasn't been getting the best out of them, otherwise we'd be doing better then we have in the last few years - i.e maybe not premiership material - but at least finals - i.e our skills on the most part have been shocking and he hasn't been planning around that, or at least using the best plans we'd be capable of executing... what that is I can't say, but by now he should know.

On the 2nd point, I have to disagree with that completely, we've been sliding in one direction only, with few honorable losses and occasionally an unexpected good win... mixed in with a whole lot of failure.

We need to be careful, we got a few ok results late last year (when everything was already done and dusted) which most likely saved his job (or at least gave Eddie just enough to attempt to justify the unjustifiable). We beat our old enemy last week and looked a whole lot better, but again I can't even remember the last time we put in a four quarter effort and frankly after what we saw last weekend from them a four goal win is not much to write home about.

We and he, have a very long way to go before we can justifiably say he's turned the corner. There is no consistency, except our downward slide at this present time.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:46 am

We’ll go round in circles and reheat old debates, TBWCW. I think skills are about talent and experience, as I doubt you can train skills under AFL pressure conditions.

You’re certainly right that a win over Carlton is not proof of anything much. We have to win against either the .crows or Essendon, or preferably both, to strengthen my sense that light is breaking. A win over the Crows would be a big statement, but I doubt many sides could bring that off. We need to put together three or four on the trot, that’s for sure,

To be honest, I was more excited by the smashing in the VFL than I was by the seniors, because that is the bit that suggests to me that some of our younger talent is really starting to grow into the next good Collingwood side... again, though, only time will tell.

Meanwhile, I think I once questioned your Collingwood credentials long ago, but I’ve come to accept that you know your Pies history and you want what’s best for us. Let’s hope the tide really does turn soon, whether under Buckley or someone else.

E 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:24 am

in my opinion Buckley is the greatest coach I've ever seen. The fact that some here cant see that is not his fault.

I wonder if we will be like the pies of 05-10. Our brand of football was very frustrating because first we didnt know how to play Micks style and then we didnt have enough confidence in it to stick with it.

Against Carlton, some of the slick ball movement was a thing of absolute beauty. But that was against Carlton. I wonder if it works against real AFL teams.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:49 am

I think a lot of posters are missing the point from my original post so let me clarify.
We started seeing from the last 6/8 rounds of 2017 that Buckley the coach had changed his approach to the game. He was often and rightly criticised that he was unprepared or didn't make changes when the momentum was against his team. He was also and rightly critiqued about his lack of willingness or match awareness to move the magnets to make other coaches adjust there're plans.
Remember the starting of Grundy at FF and Cox in the ruck ? Remember moving Maynard off HBF to the centre ? Remember moving Moore back against the crows when they had momentum in the classic draw last year ?
Years previous Buckley just let things go along until it was too late. He stuck firm with his beliefs and structures often without a single move of any importance.
Posters have rightly pointed out that he's in his 7th year and should have improved and it was only a game against carlton who are very ordinary both correct but for mine it's been going on for a while.
The Pendles move showed planning and strength in trust of other players to do extra to cover for Pendles new role. The use of Sidey and Treloar at FF and changing the forward line around constantly during the game shows he's making other teams adjust to us.
The round 1 loss to the Hawks was terrible and left many of us wondering what had changed during the offseason.
Warburton lad had reported often and I had seen with my own eyes a completely different style of play during preseason training than that showed in round 1. In round 2 against the side many have winning it all this year we got back to under 2 goals half way through the last term and only a couple horrible defensive mistakes that led to Coliglio goals made it safe. But we saw a side taking the game on more. Week 3 it worked even better and we blew them away in basically 40 minutes of footy then held that margin for the second half.
Injuries can't always be used as a excuse but in being fair Wells Moore JDG Elliott would all be in everyone's best 22. Wells probably our most skilful player, Moore close to our most athletic and a threat at either end, JDG hard at it and a proven goal sneak and Elliott our best and most consistent kick for goal. 4 vital pieces I'm sure we would have planned to have at our disposal but we haven't.
I said when Buckley was appointed coach my biggest concern was could Buckley the great player so single minded and determined player find a way to be more pragmatic as a coach and be flexible and non judgmental of players who didn't have his skill or desire. That for me was the biggest question. It wasn't his footy IQ but his personality.
Over time we've seen him change and learn which a guy of his high IQ should from his mistakes.
My point was the former players and coaches in the media have been highly critical (and rightly so this is Collingwood after all) over the past few years many calling for his sacking but now those same players and coaches are being complimentary of what they see in the changes to his coaching ways.

Last edited by qldmagpie67 on Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:51 am

^ It’s a good point, E - we had a good year in 2007 and damn near pinched a premiership, but then 2008 and 2009 were bloody frustrating, with lots of inconsistency and honourable losses, and many posters at that time decrying “mediocrity” and demanding that Mick hand over - usually to the expected saviour Buckley.... which was why the deal was agreed at the end of 2009.

We forget that coaching has to be understood as a function of talent development over a period of years, and the climb is rarely straight or linear.

The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:38 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ It’s a good point, E - we had a good year in 2007 and damn near pinched a premiership, but then 2008 and 2009 were bloody frustrating, with lots of inconsistency and honourable losses, and many posters at that time decrying “mediocrity” and demanding that Mick hand over - usually to the expected saviour Buckley.... which was why the deal was agreed at the end of 2009.

We forget that coaching has to be understood as a function of talent development over a period of years, and the climb is rarely straight or linear.

The big difference from 07, 08 & 09 was getting Jolly, although Ball was a huge bonus - it enabled Mick to use his down the boundary ploy with some consistency which up until then we weren't. This meant we could play familiar situations or scenarios over and over and hence play on our terms and set up for it - imo Mick should really deserve more praise from our supporters but in the end most turned on him due to the Buckley awe factor which is half our clubs problem imo (the awe factor), again only my opinion but personally when Bucks retired from playing I was so relieved as I knew the club would finally be able to right itself and refocus on football instead of Bucks worshiping a quarter of a century... nothings changed.. oh how little I knew lmao

Seth 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:51 pm

swoop42 wrote:
We beat Carlton.

They might well finish bottom 2.

Some perspective please.

Yeah true. If we start to beat top 8 teams then might have a different opinion. Until then, it was only Carlton who will finish bottom 2.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:53 pm

Mugwump wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
[ fundamentally he has the right instincts even if he has made mistakes.

Travis Cloke said in his recent interview that Bucks has an amazing football brain, equal to the best. Trav then added rather sheepishly that the trouble is he can make things too complicated, because "some of us footballers are pretty dumb". He said that with a smile.

A wise man once said that a strategy you can’t execute is as bad as having no strategy at all, and ultimately it is up to the coach or leader to translate messages into terms that the average worker can understand. So finally, that too rests at Nathan's door. If that has been an issue in the past, maybe he is learning about that too.

I don’t want to suggest that Buckley has been a great coach. He has obviously had his flaws, and they were inevitable as he has learned from a low base under difficult conditions. I just think he has improved and he gets the best out of a flawed list at present. The good news is that the list is finally improving markedly, and so will his record as it does so.

Or another way to put it is that the measure of ones mastery and understanding of a concept is how well one can communicate the concept to others, even if they don't think the same as you (or aren't as intelligent as you, to put it in more crude terms).

All well and good to have the best plans ever laid out, but the implementation ultimately rests with the buy-in and understanding of those at the coal face

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
The Boy Who Cried Wolf 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:06 pm

I like the KISS theory on strategy and tactics
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:54 pm

The proof of the pudding is in the pudding - Guru Bob

The litmus test games will be against the Bombers, Dogs, Norths, Suns and Saints of this world. Enough selling hope, we need Ws.

MagpieDynasty Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:35 pm

Cam wrote:
The proof of the pudding is in the pudding - Guru Bob

The litmus test games will be against the Bombers, Dogs, Norths, Suns and Saints of this world. Enough selling hope, we need Ws.

And whether Plain or Self Raising Flour is used - and for goodness sake, put some yeast into it!!

K 

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:55 pm

^ You don't need yeast if you're cooking dirty and using self-raising flour. But why use flour at all? Don't you prefer a dense, rich, flourless pudding?
E 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:17 am

E wrote:
in my opinion Buckley is the greatest coach I've ever seen. The fact that some here cant see that is not his fault.

I wonder if we will be like the pies of 05-10. Our brand of football was very frustrating because first we didnt know how to play Micks style and then we didnt have enough confidence in it to stick with it.

Against Carlton, some of the slick ball movement was a thing of absolute beauty. But that was against Carlton. I wonder if it works against real AFL teams.

Was i simply a week ahead of you all?

I remember back in 07, 08 and 09, a bloke by the name of Driver used to end every post by saying "BELIEVE"!!!!!

I think that the players are starting to believe in each other and most importantly in the game plan!!!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:26 am
Post subject: Hats off to Nathan BuckleyReply with quote

Everyone is in a good mood tonight after such a glorious win, against the odds, against one of last year's grand finalists, at their home. Lots of people are heaping deserved praise on Grundy, Sidey, Treloar, Stephenson and co for their magnificent performance against the Crows.

However, this team has been moulded, drilled and trained by Nathan Buckley, a coach who has copped more abuse in recent times from supposed Pies supporters than he has from our opponents. At times the media has joined in, circling like sharks, smelling blood and waiting for him to be sacked. But our club, led by Eddie, stuck fat, confident that eventually the tide would turn and the rewards would come our way.

Thank heavens for that, because I genuinely think Bucks has proven himself to be a master coach. Even with poor cattle at his disposal, over the past 2-3 seasons, despite our poor win/loss record, we have always been a hard team to beat. We have been consistently competitive - just not good enough. However, now it is time for us to go to the next level, and that's exactly what we are doing in 2018. Before the season began I predicted we'd finish 5th, and i still hold to that.

Of course, only time will tell, and in truth, each week provides its own challenge and its own story. But right now, I'm incredibly proud that we've got Bucks as our coach. No one in the game has as much class as him, and we should all consider ourselves lucky to have such a wonderful leader steering our ship. Go Bucks and go Pies!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 4 of 35   

Jump to: