Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Is Buckley coaching better than we think...?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:01 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile at Enemy Headquarters:

Blues bring Walls back to Carlton for 2019

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-10-02/blues-bring-walls-back-to-carlton-for-2019

' "I'm helping out in a very small way, just in a mentoring role with the coaching staff. I'll be just a sounding board throughout the weeks and match days, so hopefully I can give them some support," Walls told carltonfc.com.au.

Carlton's newly arrived head of football, Brad Lloyd, said Walls was approached as part of the club's plan to continue the development of its coaching staff. '

Shocked
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:22 pm

^You do wonder about the merits of this. He was from a different era (beat players into submission) and is no visionary for mine.
Carlton still stuck in the past- billionaires participating in meetings with Dylan Shiel and guys like Robert Walls giving mentoring, about 20 years after they finished as a coach (30 years since his premiership success as a coach).
Mediocrity to continue? I hope so.

Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:32 pm

^ I thought we lost the GF at selection by going in too short.
15-0 when WCE took 90 marks in a game. We conceded 104 on the day and gave up too many turnovers from this factor as well as scores from their talls.

Otherwise, we had a great season, improved our offensive and defensive structures, saw improvement from several players and developed real resilience to achieve what we did with the injuries we suffered. A real credit to Bucks, the coaching team and the players on the season of work.

Some people on here seem to wallow in misery, based upon their posting content. Others seemingly believe in witchcraft and hoodoos. It's all rather sad for them.

K 

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:32 pm

DOB
Robert Walls 21/7/1950
Leigh Matthews 1/3/1952
Mick Malthouse 17/8/1953
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 10:49 pm

K wrote:
DOB
Robert Walls 21/7/1950
Leigh Matthews 1/3/1952
Mick Malthouse 17/8/1953

How many premierships as coach for each?

4,3,2?

K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:11 am

In order, isn't it 1, 4, 3? But the 4 and the 3 are younger and have no intentions of being a coaches' mentor...
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:07 am

Albert Parker wrote:
15-0 when WCE took 90 marks in a game. We conceded 104 on the day and gave up too many turnovers from this factor as well as scores from their talls.

Otherwise, we had a great season, improved our offensive and defensive structures, saw improvement from several players and developed real resilience to achieve what we did with the injuries we suffered. A real credit to Bucks, the coaching team and the players on the season of work.

Some people on here seem to wallow in misery, based upon their posting content. Others seemingly believe in witchcraft and hoodoos. It's all rather sad for them.

I actually think we lost the Grannie because we got relatively poor returns from Grundy, Pendles and Sidey. That was something I did not see coming. Our defenders did a marvellous job against their bigger opponents, but the ball kept coming down their far too often.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:10 am

^ That was surprising from the perspective of the quality of those players, but (in hindsight, at least) not surprising from the perspective of the previous two games against that opponent. What the coaches could have done about it is another matter.
uuuuu..... The LoneSTAR 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:11 am

Robert walls is not a clever man.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:40 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:

I actually think we lost the Grannie because we got relatively poor returns from Grundy, Pendles and Sidey. That was something I did not see coming. Our defenders did a marvellous job against their bigger opponents, but the ball kept coming down their far too often.

I have my own views about Pendles and Sidey, which are not for here. I do think, though, that we need to be a little more moderate about our expectations of Grundy. No Collingwood ruckman (other than him) has had more hitouts for Collingwood in any game, ever, than Grundy had in the Grand Final. He won the hitouts to advantage comfortably and we won the clearances, statistically. The real question for us is why we couldnt turn his towering presence into midfield dominance, especially against a team with an average midfield.

To throw the problem into stark relief, Jolly once equaled the number of hitouts Grundy had (and he is the only one). When he did (2012 QF v Hawthorn), our 4 main mids had the ball 30 times each. We lost that game because we were murdered by Hawthorns forwards, even though Travis kicked 6 for us and Krak kicked 4. This time, our defenders kept West Coasts forwards to 6 goals between them but our mids, as a whole, couldnt create enough scoring chances for our forwards to do the job and contributed very little to the score themselves. The battle was well-won in the ruck but lost by our midfield.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:58 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:

I have my own views about Pendles and Sidey, which are not for here. I do think, though, that we need to be a little more moderate about our expectations of Grundy. No Collingwood ruckman (other than him) has had more hitouts for Collingwood in any game, ever, than Grundy had in the Grand Final. He won the hitouts to advantage comfortably and we won the clearances, statistically. The real question for us is why we couldnt turn his towering presence into midfield dominance, especially against a team with an average midfield.

To throw the problem into stark relief, Jolly once equaled the number of hitouts Grundy had (and he is the only one). When he did (2012 QF v Hawthorn), our 4 main mids had the ball 30 times each. We lost that game because we were murdered by Hawthorns forwards, even though Travis kicked 6 for us and Krak kicked 4. This time, our defenders kept West Coasts forwards to 6 goals between them but our mids, as a whole, couldnt create enough scoring chances for our forwards to do the job and contributed very little to the score themselves. The battle was well-won in the ruck but lost by our midfield.

Did we win the centre clerances though? I think it was close. Grundy gave away frees and amongst those frees were impetuous frees. Grundy simply does not contested mark enough nor punch the ball away enough in defensive measures. I love Grundy and think he's terrific but he needs to add that dimension to his game which I'm sure he will.

The midfield were a major reason to help explain why we did not win the granny but not by any means the only reason. We were at least one tall short. Cox showed that in the second half when players get tired good tall players don't get any shorter. WC showed us that as well.

I thought we also lacked leadership. This has been conspicous at times this year. JDG ought to have gone to the midflield a lot ealier. Cetainly the lack of effectiveness of Pendles, Grundy and Sidebottom were significant factors.

Given that we lost con trol of much of the match yet managed to lose by less than a goal. Damn it.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:10 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:

Did we win the centre clerances though? I think it was close. Grundy gave away frees and amongst those frees were impetuous frees. Grundy simply does not contested mark enough nor punch the ball away enough in defensive measures. I love Grundy and think he's terrific but he needs to add that dimension to his game which I'm sure he will.

The midfield were a major reason to help explain why we did not win the granny but not by any means the only reason. We were at least one tall short. Cox showed that in the second half when players get tired good tall players don't get any shorter. WC showed us that as well.

I thought we also lacked leadership. This has been conspicous at times this year. JDG ought to have gone to the midflield a lot ealier. Cetainly the lack of effectiveness of Pendles, Grundy and Sidebottom were significant factors.

Given that we lost con trol of much of the match yet managed to lose by less than a goal. Damn it.

We lost the centre clearances by two. We won the clearances 46 to 41. We won the hitouts 57 to 29. We also won the hitouts to advantage, although I can't find the figures for that, at the moment. The umpiring of the ruck contests was very poor. The Wiggles seemed to be allowed to do what they liked to Grundy, despite the fact that he was the one trying to get to the contest with his eyes on the footy - it was rather surprising (to try to use very neutral language) to me that so many frees were given against him and not one to him.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:26 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Albert Parker wrote:

We lost the centre clearances by two. We won the clearances 46 to 41. We won the hitouts 57 to 29. We also won the hitouts to advantage, although I can't find the figures for that, at the moment. The umpiring of the ruck contests was very poor. The Wiggles seemed to be allowed to do what they liked to Grundy, despite the fact that he was the one trying to get to the contest with his eyes on the footy - it was rather surprising (to try to use very neutral language) to me that so many frees were given against him and not one to him.

Grundy had 21 hits to advantage. Theyre big numbers but the eagles won the centre clearances comfortably in the first half. This suggests that our mid field got first hands on the ball but the eagles stopped us from getting it away from the centre. Further to that, 4 of our first 6 goals came from chains starting from the back half which occurs less than ever in modern footy, particularly against good teams.
If you look at that as a game trend, it suggests that the Eagles took a while to settle and we capitalised. When they settled down and got themselves organised, we didnt have the answers to their game style.
Its no different to hawthorn owning us with a similar game style.
We knew what was coming and we nearly pulled it off.
Who people want to blame for the loss is up to them but for mine, we were simply beaten by a better team. They controlled the game on their terms for longer.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:34 pm

^ Thanks for the hitouts to advantage figure. That's staggering. It serves to underline my point about us all expecting a lot of Grundy.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:57 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
^ Thanks for the hitouts to advantage figure. That's staggering. It serves to underline my point about us all expecting a lot of Grundy.

It also serves to underline the point that the definition of hitouts to advantage should be changed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34, 35  Next
Page 33 of 35   

Jump to: