Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies crush Crows - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:51 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Something has clicked with this group. There were some good signs against Carlton. We choked their ball movement and were unpredictable going forward. You could excuse a Pies supporter or 2 for uttering the word "organsed". We even looked like we took the game on at times. Was that a Collingwood player taking opponents on and tearing toward goal? Sometimes it even looked like our players wanted the ball in their hands, and attacked with intent..like they actually wanted to score.

Hmm...no, must be an aberration. Wait for the Crows game. Reality will set in then. The Carlton game would be like the sun had broken through the clouds for 2mins, but then more clouds had rolled in to continue the bleak winter.

Then the reserve team kicks a whopping 200 points. Something is afoot. This is not the Collingwood of the last 6 years. I gotta see this 200 points. I watch the whole game on youtube. We are ruthless. Our mids monster the clearnaces and we win the contested ball like it's not a contest. It's not the Collingwood I'm used to.

More injuries. We've seen this before. Just use the Crows game to gauge where we are at.

Crows game. Wow...we start well. We look like a team. A team that actually looks well coached. A team that has spent the preseaason working on stuff. Our defense is organised, our pressure intense and unrelenting, our ball movement slick, the options in our forward line are many. Heck, why not even bomb it long like we used to on the few occasions our movement forward is slowed. We have a 7foot giant up there bringing the ball to ground needing 2 defenders on him.
We defend, we harass, we tackle, we run. We keep on running. We spread fast from the contest. There is overlap run as DeGoey sprints forward after a defensive effort. Wow.
Not just our mids are running through the 50...our ruckman is doing it too and kicking goals. That's when he's not monstering the opposition ruckman.

Wow. What a win. That was awesome. That was fantastical. Make that our brand Collingwood.
GO PIES!
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:13 am

Buckley's Press Conference:

Whose idea was it to get the coaches and staff involved in the post-match huddle?
Quote:
"It was the leaders' decision. They'd spoken about it before the season and on times that they feel it is appropriate to get the coaches and staff involved, that was the first time we'd seen it this year"

You've had some significant injury setbacks which you've never blamed recently, so does the win tonight give you a huge sense of belief?
Quote:
"Regardless of headlines or anything else that happens externally, we were a very settled side. It was one player in and one player out for us tonight. We wanted to build on the performance of last week where we thought we played 45 minutes of really good footy and then just lacked conviction in the second half as we discussed. I thought it was a really strong four quarter performance [tonight]"

You used Scott Pendlebury very effectively in a run with role last week, just take us through some of the tactics tonight which looked to be at the top of your game
Quote:
"We let our players play to their strengths and to a man without individualising, I thought that for the large part of the game I thought we were able to do that. I thought the backs were really strong. The forwards put on a lot of pressure and the mids hunted the ball and the clearance numbers and contested ball numbers would tell a tail there"

Where does that win rate at your time at Collingwood? It was your first win at the Adelaide Oval and to win by eight goals in the wet.
Quote:
"We've never minded travelling. It was a significant performance for us because getting some belief about the way you play is an important part of taking the next steps. This is only one game, but it was an important game for us to get right. We thought our planning was strong and we thought we had the right themes for the players, but the reality is the players need to go and get it done. All the credit goes to firstly the leaders and then the group of players to execute it. In terms of ranking it, it's a significant win for us and it's one we're pretty happy with"

Jaidyn Stephenson in his 4th game kicks five
Quote:
"Yeah, that's not going to happen every week is it. The consistent thing with Jaidyn has been his work rate and his willingness to pressure. He's got speed, which is not a commodity that we've got in abundance on our list comparatively potentially, so we identified that in recruiting for him in particular. He hasn't let us down and even right till the end when he was pretty knackered, he's putting chase down tackles on and really taking the game on which is encouraging"

What's been an issue you've identified with the list, with you recruiting Stephenson in the draft and Sam Murray through a trade with Sydney, was that something you looked over the list last year and something you needed to improve on?
Quote:
"I think you need to have it in the right places. I suppose we've added Will [Hoskin-Elliott] in the last couple of years as well. Sam [Murray] definitely takes the game on and we love that about him and Jaidyn is lightly built, but there's elements to the game that he is suited to and that open field play. A lot of his pressure is chasing pressure as he just closes the distance so quickly, so when you've got a player like that, not unlike a Cyril Rioli or Puopolo from Hawthorn, you just never know when they will get you and I think Stephenson puts that sort of pressure on and it's been good to see. Steele Sidebottom and Scott Pendlebury, they've got other strengths that they bring to the table, so I think it's important to keep using your players where they can optimise their strengths"

Grundy's game was amazing tonight against Sam Jacobs?
Quote:
"He's in a rich vain of form. He's worked really hard not only just pre-season but over a fair period of time. He's still a young man and still developing. I thought our connection between our rucks and our mids was stronger this week than it's been for the first three rounds and through JLT. I think it's the first time we've been really able to connect well from ruckman through to first possession. We've been winning hit outs significantly, but losing clearances, so we've done some work over the last couple of weeks and that's come together. There's still a lot of improvement for us and there's still a lot of things we want to improve and turnaround from our first month now, but tonight it's pretty hard to fault. Most of the stuff we wanted to see improve improved".

There was some good vision of you enjoying the game from the coaches box. Is that a fair thing to say?
Quote:
"Yeah, I really enjoyed watching that game mate. When your players are so consistent with their effort and do it across the four quarters and handled whatever the Crows threw at us really. That was significant to win every quarter so you have to enjoy that"

How significant was contested ball tonight especially given the conditions?
Quote:
"It was +33 in the end. When the whips were cracking early we were +16 so half of that was in the first quarter. I thought that ground ball in the form of loose ball gets, which is where we've been down a little in the first three rounds, we won ground ball tonight for the first time for the year. As I said, there were a couple of areas we looked at specifically to try and correct, so we had a good night in that regard. Contested ball is clearly an important stat, but we feel like we've always had a strong contested game but it's about maximising what you get at the other end of that and adding that polish offensively off that, and we're starting to take some shape"

Were you surprised that the Crows went so tall in attack on a wet night. Did you try and exploit that?
Quote:
"We could have be accused of being too tall as well with Cox and Reid. Jarryd Blair travelled as our 23rd and we had a discussion on tall small and when you actually look at that. I think when you post-analyse, I generally find if you haven't got the result, you're not generally blaming your tall small balance, so there will be other things in the game that you were in control of that you might not have got right. So for us, Mason Cox had 5 touches tonight but he competed really well. He brought the ball to ground and played his role down the line as well as you could ask a bloke like that to play his role. We'd love to get a few more free kicks and have the marks paid, and so would Coxy, but they become significant parts of the way we want to play. We're still working out whether that's right for us. For the opposition, that's for Pykey to work out"

It looked like you kicked low pretty early, was that a deliberate decision given the conditions to make sure you hit up the targets going forward?
Quote:
"Low? You've picked up something that I'll have to look for mate. We generally want to hit targets and I think we're improving our balance of going long and actually hitting up the player coming towards the ball. Having said that, we did get quite a few long kicks over the back to, especially early, so we were able to score out the back. It's a decision with the player with the ball needs to make and clearly you structure up for both eventualities and allow the players to make their choice as they go"

How much confident does a win give you heading into a match like ANZAC Day in 12 days time, which is obviously one of the biggest games of the season?
Quote:
"It gives us a lot of confidence about us. It's not so much about where we're heading next week or the opposition we face. It really is, and we've been pretty consistent with this, there's not a lot about putting our focus outside of ourselves. The commentary around us might shift and change in the short-term, but really that's at the response end. We just got to keep working at the inputs and what we put into it. We will change, we will have other blokes that will come in and play roles and we'll keep chopping and changing and keep looking to improve the way we play. On a one night sample, this was a significant execution of what we wanted to see and it's the way we want to play our footy"

Is Taylor Adams a chance for returning for ANZAC Day?
Quote:
"Both he and Jamie [Elliott] had grade one strains, so they're not significant strains. Old school me, like when you do a hammy it's going to be three weeks, but the medicos are more bullish than that, but we'll judge that. Having a significant break between tonight and round 5 for us is a bonus, but we have a four day break on the other side of that. We'll enjoy tonight first, rest and recover and then we'll work out what we need to do"

Is Daniel Wells a chance given the break coming up?
Quote:
"He'll play tomorrow, so our VFL play tomorrow at 12:30. So once again we want to see us how we want to play. Wells will get his chance to increase his match practice"

Can you run us through De Goey's journey through pre-season to tonight
Quote:
"Yeah, just read the papers mate and find out all about it [laughs*]. Yeah, Jordy's was a significant effort to get back and he only played one game in the VFL. He has been pushed pretty hard by the leadership, mainly in the playing group, but clearly the other leadership positions in the football club to bring something more to the table in regards to professionalism and investment of himself to his footy and to the football club. He's a much speculated on character already for a young bloke who really is still only making his way in the game of footy. He's a young man, he's a human, he's made some blues, but he's doing some thing really well and if he continues to have an open mind and bring a growth mindset and a learning mindset into what he does and he actually actions that, then he will continue to earn the respect of his teammates".

Tonight was a step forward for De Goey?
Quote:
"He played his role. He did some nice things and it was good to see the boys get around him after that goal and there was a bit of feeling in that. The players acknowledged that after the game. I think it's important for Jordan to know that at no stage was he cast aside by the footy club. We're making decisions that we think will help him to educate him to be the best he can be and he's still got a long way to go for that. He's got a lot of a talent and if he can maximise it we will be better off for that"

Is tonight's result a reflection of the mood of the club? It seems like a happy place internally.
Quote:
"When you have a win like that mate you're not going to be frowning. If we keep having wins like that, I reckon the mood will be good"

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2018/4/adel-v-coll

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:26 am

Good to see Bucks give the umps a little drive by in the presser. Gawd they were awful. Walsh needs to follow up with a series of edits.
DT 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:45 am

I had a sneaky feeling we might win but that performance exceeded my dreams. Some very funny comments here which is great to see. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

Some interesting stats:

Josh Thomas is averaging 2.3 goals a game the same as Roughead and Breust - very nice shot for goal he is too - also 10 score involvements and 7 inside 50s
Treloar 11 tackles, 32 pressure acts and 10 score involvements - where has he turned his game around this year into a defensive beast 👏
Brown - 8 tackles and 28 pressure acts - very smart player or ‘clever’ as Bruce would say
Aish - 7 tackles, 15 possessions - looks like he wants to make it and he is playing with a desperation and hardness that is great but to which he has added some considerable strength
Pendlebury- 675m gained - superb from the skipper
Crisp - 12 intercept possessions - really solid player and just outside top 60 in the AFL player rankings
Grundy and Sidebottom- 12 clearances each - can the umps award 3 votes to each?
Reid - 7 inside 50s - nice game and working himself into the season- can see him kicking a bagful of goals soon

There is significant improvement left in this team too. Add Elliott and Wells for class and Adams for grunt and Moore for height and X factor. Howe is also not playing so well yet and will improve. Scharenberg and Langdon will just get better but don’t undersell Langdon’s game last night. Some excellent spoiling and body positioning- just needs to not get caught with the footy

Bring on Anzac Day! Go Pies

slangman 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:56 am

This is the type of win that provides hope and excitement.

Can’t remember a better 4 quarter effort during Buckley’s reign.

Smart, clean, efficient and focused....a win to enjoy!!!!

Hopefully this is the benchmark for the remainder of the season.

Sidey is going to win another Copeland.

Stephenson was superb.

Grundy....my god, how good was he???

Pendleburys class and ability being rejuvenated and maximised.

Pete 70 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:32 am

Smashing win. Lot to like. Players playing a roll. Imagine a fit J Elliott, Fasolo, Wells and Moore in that side - a bit emotional.

I essentially got told I was going to be ejected from the house if I kept yelling after that Murray free (we are essentially a non contact sport now, following in from the 50 to then following on from Dunne getting gang tackled after marking at the spot where they put the Maynard plaque for the dumbest 50 ever). There was a great post in the match day thread - umps digging in deep for them. Ha f... em. Great win very proud. Looking forward to hearing about the boys in the VFl

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:36 am

From Jayden Stephenson after the game two pearls ::::

“To contribute is great”

“Once you get to your club you work hard to earn your spot—it’s not about your draft position “

Oh so wise for a young man

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:52 am

Grundy & co.ever conscious of the team culture arranged to have absolutely everyone associated with the team —coach,s ,trainers ,property staff to link arms and belt out “Good Old Collingwood Forever”

That folks was “Side by side”——had me so proud

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:01 am

"We let our players play to their strengths and to a man without individualising, I thought that for the large part of the game I thought we were able to do that. I thought the backs were really strong. The forwards put on a lot of pressure and the mids hunted the ball and the clearance numbers and contested ball numbers would tell a tail there"

Said to junior during the game “it’s like they have been let off the leash”

The replay is on Foxtel now, bloody hell it was as awesome sober as three drinks down! Oh man it’s been too bloody long since we felt like this! Enjoy folks, those of us still here bloody deserve too!

I hope this is the start of it, and I’m more than happy to be wrong about Bucks. Wow just bloody wow! What a team performance! And Pendles looked like Captain America!

MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:09 am

In an alternate universe somewhere at the end of 2017 ...

Buckley was sacked
Sidebottom was traded
Thomas was delisted

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:38 am

^ 1 and 3, yes. Only the real crackpots ever favoured 2.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:41 am

If this alternate universe makes a leap to the end of 2018 and by what some may consider a miracle NB coach,s a flag

Do we still say he cannot coach

Clifton Hill-Billy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:44 am

Fantastic four quarter effort, would have absolutely smashed them if not for cheating scumpires. Sidey, Grundy, Treloar, Pendles, Stephenson all massive. Bring on essendrug on Anzac Day!
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:52 am

With such low expectations going into this year when you win and beat the Grand Finalists from last year, geez you enjoy it so much more. Very Happy
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:03 am

How good was Brown? Really coming along, we got one with him.

Last week some passages of play looked like a training drill we moved the ball so cleanly, the Blues just couldn't get near the ball, and again tonight, against clearly better opposition.

Haven't looked forward to ANZAC day this much in years!

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 9 of 13   

Jump to: