Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies crush Crows - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 11:00 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:

For mine, the fast handballing in the middle, trying to get run through the middle, has been there for a while, the players just didn't execute it well. They looked rushed and panicked. Now they look smooth.

With that smoothness comes better forward delivery. Instead of just banging it long, they're lowering the eyes and hitting targets.

No doubt that there's been some tweaks and improvements made to how they structure up and deliver, but the core has been there for a while. The biggest jump from a team that relies on grunt but butchers the ball to what we've seen the last 2 weeks is some confidence and poise along with whole team buy in.

That is an interesting analysis. In fact, I thought the brilliant handball through the middle was new this year, but maybe you are right...maybe we have been attempting to do it for a while now, but just haven't executed well.
That would make sense, because if you have been practising something for a while, there might come a point where suddenly it clicks into gear, and we have reached that point. It would be harder to believe that we could suddenly play like that after practising a new methodology of play for only over one preseason.
I think I will take a look again at some of the match replays from our best games in the second half of last year.
Another thing I noticed in our Adelaide game which appeared totally new to me was the incredible way in which we read the game, knew where the ball was going, and always had players there to fight for possession. This was very much absent in the game against Hawthorn. How was this transformation achieved? I have absolutely no idea.
I also thought that the incredible rotations of midfielders becoming forwards and vice verca throughout the two games against both Carlton and Adelaide is a new feature. Last year we seemed much more fixed in our approach to the forward structure. Our F50 pressure has intensified massively as well this year. I know that this is not an innovation, though. We have been aiming to improve this all of last year, but now (largely with the development of Josh Thomas, and the continuing development of players like De Goey, Aisch , and the incredible arrival of Stephenson etc) we are taking it to a new level.
To me, it seems that there has been a change in the coaching, especially with the new multiplicity and diversity of roles in the F50. To me, it looks like maybe other influences are informing Bucks' coaching/tactics/strategies.
I am rapt. I have not felt like this for a long time.

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:09 am

Correct weight Stui.

It's even been mentioned here over the last couple of years.

"When we run and play with flair ("stop listening to Buckley" apparently) we look like world beaters. When we stop and prop we look like muppets"

We've ben trying to get this running game going for years. We've been trying to handball out of trouble for years. We've consistently been choking up for years - either not trusting ourselves off half back or not trusting ourselves when we get 4 goals up.

For mine, the big takeaway from the Carlton game was that that was one we could have stumbled at late in the game and nearly lost. As it was, we held to a 6 goal lead until the last minute. Yeah we should have won by 10 goals, even more after seeing the Blues play tonight, but we still worked out how to build and protect a lead.

I honestly thought at half time last night that we were a strong chance to get run over. We missed a couple we should have got in the third and when they got to within 5 goals with 15 minutes or so to play, it didn't look good.

Then Tex wastes one, we pull ourselves together and shut them out. A good, professional response. 8 goal win interstate, at a full Adelaide Oval no less in tough conditions. A bloody good win.

I take you back to round 9 2008. We'd been playing a brand of footy that was supposed to be good in September but was incredibly taxing. We couldn't do it week to week with the result that once we made it to finals, we were overrun by the Geelongs and StKildas of the competition. We'd mad a prelim the year before on account of a 1 in a thousand extra-time win in the wet in Perth against a Weagles outfit missing Judd and Cousins. Since then, we'd lost Buckley and Clement. Licca had retired and Pebbles was playing on one ankle. The kid we'd picked up with our pick for Tarrant was a skinny, jittery lefty who shit himself in front of goals and looked physically and psychologically not up to it.

Our gameplan was shit. We couldn't hit the side of a barn half the time owing to the likes of O'Bree, Barham and so on. We were just getting into inventing that constant rotations thing and the players looked confused as to what they should be doing, where and when. We'd see occasional glimpses of brilliance but mostly it was hard slog

Then we played Geelong.

And for 4 quarters, we got to see what Malty had been trying to build. First time we had put it together against premiership quality competition. This was a Cats outfit that would run at a 90% win rate over that period, bullying and monstering the competition and we had them rattled and scared. I remember writing at the time something like "this is what we look like when we click"

I see the Adelaide game in a similar vein. Adelaide is no Geelong dynasty club, though at home with their fans baying for them, they are no walk over. We didn't have them hearing footsteps or afraid to attack the ball - this new style of play isn't as ferocious on the man. But we did get to see our boys play the game they hope to win their next flag with for a full 4 quarters against quality opposition. We hit targets and ran in waves. We made space and offered options. We trusted our teammates. We finally clicked again.

Now in the years between that Geelong game and the flag, we had the Didak thing, the Didak/Shaw thing, I think there was a Cloke thing, a Wellingham thing and a Malthouse/Buckley thing. There was losing the semi to the Saints in 08 and getting spanked in the 09 prelim. There was us not looking like being capable of beating both of those teams. Remember kicking 4.17 to lose to the Aints after Riewoldt went down at quarter time? Losing the "second match" of the year against a hapless Essendon outfit. ANZAC Day and ZahafknRakis. And not handing Carlton their record worst losing streak. As late as August 2010, the pundits were saying we didn't have the cattle to win a flag. We didn't have the A grade talent of a Riewoldt/Ablett. That Swan was a solid accumulator who's lack of skill would be exposed in September. Then we won a flag, losing just 1 game in the following year.

So what I saw last night was the confirmation that we can actually do what we want to do. This is the "footy we want to play" that Bucks has been talking about for the last few years. The optimists among us recognised that some time ago. We finally made it obvious enough for the pessimists. We are still a long way from home. Could be another 2 or 3 years until we challenge. But we do have it in us. There will be some pretty disappointing losses to come and we will undoubtedly go through more phases of doubt but we are on the right path. And this time we won't need to spend our first and third picks on the 4th best ruck in the comp to get there.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:25 pm

😀 Great post Geek, having followed our Pies through that le period closely from the rebuids to the flag, it's not difficult to draw a comparison. Who can forget that 80+ demolition of Ablett and co. We didn't have champions on every line (we had half of what the cats had) but call it game plan or style of play clicked for 4 quarters and on that day we looked a million dollars. As this team matures we are definitely going to see it more often with the occasional laps exciting times ahead Pie fans.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:12 pm

Small piece of play I thought was good from Mason Cox when competing for a mark
Reckon he realised at the fall of the ball he was 3rd cab off the rank to mark so he quickly made a decision and kinda scooped it over the pack into a vacant area

Young Stevo said “thank you very much” and got his first goal in AFL footy

Jamesy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 11:25 pm

After round 1 and the first game of the JLT series, I thought we cactus. The last three weeks have seen want and endeavour, and direction in the positive.

Brilliant job from the team on Friday night, utterly rapt after that win. I haven't felt that good after a win in years. Yes we can win, but it's the way we won it......best in a long time.

In another thread about a watershed moment, this win feels like it for me. The energy, the direction, the purpose, the want, the desire, the hunger...it's all there.

Best watershed game for me was ANZAC Day 2002, that was a massive turning point for the team and club that day...Outstanding!

Go The Pies!
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:01 am

Next week:

Ins:

Wells
Wills

Outs:

Maynard
Langdon

In my opinion

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:37 am

inxs88 wrote:
Next week:

Ins:

Wells
Wills

Outs:

Maynard
Langdon

In my opinion

INXS I don't think barring injury we will make any changes for Anzac Day
Neither of the ins you named can replace Langdon in the back line
The changes are likely to come for the Tigers game 4 days later depending on injury and how the young bodies hold up.
The likelyhood of Moore Elliott Wells & Adams all being considered for the Tigers game is highly likely.
Moore is the obvious replacement for Langdon at CHB
The thing the Tigers are doing is playing Martin a lot more in the forward line as a 1 out deep forward. We will need to deploy someone with enough match awareness and strength to combat him. Jack R has been playing a lot more upfield so Moore is logical to go with him and use his athletism to hurt him the other way.
It's around the contest this will be won.
Cotchin & Martin around the stoppages need to be stopped.
I would rotate Adams Maynard Thomas on Cotchin and ask Pendles to take Martin and hurt him the other way Martin isn't known for his defensive pressure.
If we can win the clearances and contested ball and halt and slow there supply going forward we are a huge chance.
I would anchor Cox in the opposite pocket to were the ball is coming from taking Rance away from the contest we don't want Cox taking him to it.
Still like the idea of playing Stephenson very deep and use his speed
We need to shut down Basher H off HBF as well. I would tag him like you do a mid because he's there go to set up guy.
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:48 pm

Adam Treloar 3 Votes wrote:
Simply magnificent and to all the posters bagging the club and coaches as recently as Round 1, you have no idea. We play finals again this year and anything is possible. Go Pies!

Okay; firstly let's address the elephant in the room lingering from the round One debacle. What we saw that night was a borderline putrid effort from players and coaches alike, and so far from the competitive start to the season we demanded, that it wasn't funny.

Perhaps we undersold Whorethorn in the process too; they are unlucky not to be sitting 4/0 at the top of the table, save for Geebung's arsey win against them in round 2... we shall see in the coming weeks exactly how critical Rioli and Burgonyne's absence are to their structures and game plan.

Funkadelic wrote:
We were all so upset after round one because it felt like the same sh!t movie we’ve all seen before. Plenty of ball, bad skills and decisions going forward. Seen it for years. I think we had a come to Jesus moment after round 1.
Failure can be handy in a sense. You can really get into the forensics of it, and if the group or individual is committed, change can be brought. But success builds confidence....

So if that result was a catalyst for the players and coaches to sit down post mortem and use that game as a template of how NOT to play, then good, it obviously served a purpose.
Kudos to all involved at the club who analysed it, because it needed to be done; it's simply what the supporters expect of all tactically involved, for the money they are on.

We know a week is a long time in football; we hear that year in, year out.
Our efforts from round 2 onwards have been right on the money. TICK.

Isn't it great when all 22 players buy-in to the effort?
I won't name individuals, but many players have career best games and NOT only based on statistics, but 2nd efforts and 1%ers!
NOT ONE player who is any danger of missing selection for ANZAC day based on that form. What a great problem to have!

You'll probably notice with this group, that's it's amazing what happens when they actually start hitting targets.
As many of you mentioned in the previous pages: slick ball movement.
At times we looked like Hawthorn, and that is a good thing!
We played 1st-option football; fluent, non-stagnant, and this worked very well on the night. More of it please!
Sometimes with 1st-option football, when you release the ball so quickly and instinctively to keep it moving, you MAY sell your team mate into trouble, but that is simply collateral damage for the process; more often that not, it pays off in moving the ball from defence going forward.

As many of you have said, please, oh please, let this be the new standard!
Has this group finally turned the corner? Is this the pay dirt we've been striving to hit? Is this the BIG SCALP we've been threatening to take for many years? So many more questions than answers manifested this week!

And Yes, we were all stoked to see Buckley in the coaches box laughing with the players, instead of at them. Let's hope to see more of that in 2018.

Bring on the Dopers to a packed MCG; good times ahead!

MagpieDynasty Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:33 pm

Watched the match whilst in Perth - Inglewood Hotel, not a bad spot if you're ever over there.

It was a pro Pies crowd in the pub which surprised me a little! Anyways, the match and result was everything we could have ever hoped for. From the outset the boys hunted and i lost count the number of times I saw 3 Pies to 1 Crow at the ball.

I stated in the Pre-Match thread that if it was wet and the Crows went in with Walker, Jenkins, Fogarty etc, we'd be a big chance. I never dreamed it would be that big though Smile I also said i'd be surprised if Cox ran out, i was but boy i'm glad he did. He's got a little bit of finesse and smarts about him these days.

Arriving back in Adelaide Sat night, I spent most of the evening and Sunday gloating to my Crow Eater mates, and it continues.............

Don't get me wrong, i'm a proud SA boy but to have the state shut up on the back of both the Crows and Power losing, is just soooo sweet!

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 5:33 pm

Dyso your 100% right mate
That effort the other night against the Crows must be followed by another performance of the same magnitude
It has to be the new norm for us
Being s effort based side who hunts as a pack is good but the difference between winning and losing those games can come down to taking your chances which we did very well the past 2 weeks
For whatever reason the coach looks far more relaxed and is prepared to roll the dice make moves and set match-ups that he feels suits our style and impedes there's.
It's worked well since round 1 and bar a couple injuries and a poor quarter we could have really pushed GWS as well
I'm not 100% sold yet I'm hopeful and praying this is the new nirvana for us and the launching pad for finals footy
Show me this sort of performances week in week out for a 6 week period and win or lose those games and I'll be convinced we've arrived as a side with this coach and group
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:16 pm

MagpieDynasty Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:44 pm

^^^ Yep that sums up the Crows Crowd perfectly!
K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:16 pm

think positive wrote:
BazBoy wrote:
If this alternate universe makes a leap to the end of 2018 and by what some may consider a miracle NB coach,s a flag

Do we still say he cannot coach

We say he has graduated the coaches masterclass

And if the Dogs miss finals again, what do we say about Beveridge?
And if the Tigers bomb, Hardwick?
K 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:24 pm

glasseyevfx wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:

Most current elite AFL players and ex-AFL elite players say they prefer to practise their skills on the training track (which is how they became elite players) rather than be sent off to camps. That's the difference between Buckley and Malthouse who was never an elite player. Malthouse always liked the camps whereas Buckley prefers the players to practise their skills on the training track (I should add Pyke was never an elite player himself).

Good point. If players don't buy in to a camp you want to at least provide something they enjoy. I can understand the altitude camp as it is supposed to supercharge you fitness; so its purpose driven. Sending a group out woop woop away from family and your life so a bunch of narcissists can get their jollies on seeing you suffer is a moronic idea for building a team and loyalty.
I'd be looking for the exit

Are there enough coaches who were elite players to show that?

Yes, whether the altitude trips worked or not, they were reasonable decisions. Buttifant may have been right or wrong, but he's not unqualified and he's never been a fraud. The Adelaide torture test thing is completely different.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:46 am

That was a fantastic win from start to finish. The whole team played as one and for each other. Our skills are sharper and the effort and intensity lifted a notch. Took the game on when we needed to and shut down their forward line with solid defending. Mids were clean and prepared to run and carry and the rotating forward line will confuse many a defense this year. I almost think this is the key to our game now. Using treloar, sidebootom, whe and pendles along with our key forwards upsets the opposition game plan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13   

Jump to: