Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The danger of psycho babble

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:18 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Miyagi wrote:
So instead of insulting one culture, they offended a dozen. It was referred to as an aboriginal talking stick, from what I’ve been told. There’s other stuff that’s not in Eddie’s book as well, but that’s up to the other players to live with not speaking up about it.

if it was referred to as an Aboriginal talking stick and they set out to mimic an Aboriginal ritual without going through due process, then Eddie has every right to be upset.

If they didn't, then it's neither appropriation or insulting. The concept of having to be holding an object to be able to talk goes across many cultures and has essentially been common practice in the past in Early Years schooling, it's been used on the TV show Survivor and team building exercises. Think the Conch in Lord of the Flies.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:22 pm

either way stui, it would have been better to use a different object, as id say its pretty obvious the indigineous community already feel slighted everyday, why upset someone when you dont need to, use a pillow or a rock! a can of victoria bitter seems appropriate!
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:32 pm

We all know about Collective Mind's role in this, but I was looking at a puff piece newspaper article about the camp uploaded on the organisation's own website (https://collectivemind.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Mind-Over-Matters.pdf) and was interested to learn that, if I understand correctly, the specific program Betts participated in was led by the (somewhat creepily generically named) "Workplace Well Being Institute". This is their website; note the focus on things like "social justice" and "social equity": https://www.workplacewellbeing.co/

This is how the newspaper report describes the focus of the progam:

Quote:
Participants in this group were led through a "rite of passage" style program where they confronted and overcame "immature masculine" behaviours such as selfishness, entitlement, laziness, privilege, disconnection, lack of integrity, lack of respect and lack of discipline

Piecing this together with Betts' descriptions of the absurd exercises that players were made to perform, I wonder if we're finally seeing the meeting point of woke Robin DiAngelo-style privilege-checking workplace programs and right-wing Jordan Peterson-style alpha masculinity woo-woo. These snake oil peddlers really are two sides of the one coin.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:53 pm

Agree David. We get all sorts of these motivation consultancy companies at my workplace, and they all have fancy names for the same bs. There are qualified companies who do it properly, but the market is flooded by the woo woo con artists.

Last edited by Mr Miyagi on Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:55 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:
Where is Caroline Wilson’s pukefest on this on the front page of the Age? Oh that’s right, it’s not Collingwood 😩 Duhh……..…………😖

She's gone after Ricciuto too:

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/theyre-horrifying-caroline-wilson-slams-ricciuto-afl-over-eddie-betts-responses/news-story/528326977c568fd9f65a04560a68c620

Quote:
Wilson blasted those comments on Footy Classified: “It’s obviously devastating, what Mark Ricciuto says is so inaccurate.

“(They say) ‘we’ve moved on from this as a club’, they’ve never moved from it. The AFL will tell you that’s part of the problem.

“How can you describe some of those revelations as not perfect? They’re horrifying.”

Full video here: https://twitter.com/FootyonNine/status/1554807359213641728

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 1:16 pm

think positive wrote:
either way stui, it would have been better to use a different object, as id say its pretty obvious the indigineous community already feel slighted everyday, why upset someone when you dont need to, use a pillow or a rock! a can of victoria bitter seems appropriate!

Valid point, even if the action was innocent better to use some nouse and avoid perception of mimicry or cultural appropriation.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 2:51 pm

David wrote:
lazzadesilva wrote:
Where is Caroline Wilson’s pukefest on this on the front page of the Age? Oh that’s right, it’s not Collingwood 😩 Duhh……..…………😖

You're not doing it right David. It's a conspiracy against Collingwood. Everything is.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:49 pm

The media has had four years to do the right thing. This is a direct consequence of Collingwood’s Do Better report, and the media know they can’t shy away from this topic anymore. Caro has had every opportunity, the past year in particular, to have a go at Adelaide and the AFL over the camp — and refer to Collingwood’s progress as an example of what to do — but chose not to. Remember me going apeshit last year when the sh*t hit the fan at our club because the media wasn’t reporting on the same issues happening at other clubs? It’s great Caro and others are speaking up now, I’m thankful for it, but let’s not praise them for being brave and stunning when they sat on their hands for years. If Eddie Betts hadn’t released his book and forced everyone’s hand, would Caro be criticising Adelaide and the AFL even though she privately knew the hurt Betts endured? Short answer, no.

“Now that Collingwood is making progress with their Do Better report, what has Adelaide and other clubs done to address their issues?” is the headline Caro and others should have been working on this year, but didn’t. And Betts forced their hand.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:33 pm

I don't have any particular desire to defend her, but the fact is that Wilson has been on Adelaide's case regarding this camp for years, and was made to formally apologise to Collective Mind in February when they settled a defamation suit with the ex-Fairfax papers:

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/showdown-still-leaves-issues-unresolved-after-adelaide-s-wasted-season-20180831-p500zr.html

https://www.fiveaa.com.au/news/collective-mind-have-received-formal-apologies-for-reporting-of-pre-season-camp/

As for Collingwood, I don't think she has an obligation to do our PR work for us.

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:04 pm

These are shocking allegations from Eddie Betts and a full apology is required not just to him,but to every other player who had to endure that ‘camp’.

Reading just what the players went through it makes me realize that this scandal could easily have happened at Collingwood.I remember in the early days of Buckley’s tenure at the club he had the leading teams group at the club,the same group that was responsible for the training camp that the Adelaide team had to suffer through.That camp almost tore that club apart and it still hasn’t really recovered from the mess it created.

All I can say is thank God our players didn’t have to go through the sort of humiliation and degradation that the Adelaide players went through during this camp.We certainly dodged a bullet there.And another one as well by not hiring Don Pyke as our coach.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 5:52 pm

^

Leading Teams is a different group to Collective Mind, it was the latter who ran the crows camp.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 6:35 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Leading Teams is a different group to Collective Mind, it was the latter who ran the crows camp.

They are just as bad. Their programs are superficial nonsense wrapped up in jargon to sound 'scientific', but more importantly, they are potentially quite damaging to both organisations and individuals. There are a lot of people making shit loads of money pedalling this garbage to organisations desperate to find an edge on their competitors.
lazzadesilva Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:09 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
David wrote:
lazzadesilva wrote:

You're not doing it right David. It's a conspiracy against Collingwood. Everything is.

No it is not a conspiracy. It’s a double standard. For example if it had been Hertier Lubumba, Wilson would have gleefully attacked Collingwood on the front page of the Age. Not a doubt.

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:14 pm

Not arguing RB, just pointing out to Doris who said they were the same group. They aren't.

These kind of team building charlatans have been around since at least the 80's. Some of the psychobabble can work, to a degree, depending on the individual, but what people are prepared to take now is quite different to the 80's.

Having said that, some of the shit that Eddie and the other Crows apparently copped would have had the instructors punched out back in the 80's.

Telling anyone that you'll be a shit parent because you were raised by a single parent deserves a punch straight to the face every day.

doriswilgus 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2022 7:28 pm

stui magpie wrote:
^

Thanks for the clarification,I thought it was the same group that did the Adelaide pre season camp.From what I remember at the time,our players weren’t at all happy with the leading teams group either.I think they were glad to see the back of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 15 of 18   

Jump to: