Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The danger of psycho babble

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:39 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
We all know about Collective Mind's role in this, but I was looking at a puff piece newspaper article about the camp uploaded on the organisation's own website (https://collectivemind.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/Mind-Over-Matters.pdf) and was interested to learn that, if I understand correctly, the specific program Betts participated in was led by the (somewhat creepily generically named) "Workplace Well Being Institute". This is their website; note the focus on things like "social justice" and "social equity": https://www.workplacewellbeing.co/

This is how the newspaper report describes the focus of the progam:

Quote:
Participants in this group were led through a "rite of passage" style program where they confronted and overcame "immature masculine" behaviours such as selfishness, entitlement, laziness, privilege, disconnection, lack of integrity, lack of respect and lack of discipline

Piecing this together with Betts' descriptions of the absurd exercises that players were made to perform, I wonder if we're finally seeing the meeting point of woke Robin DiAngelo-style privilege-checking workplace programs and right-wing Jordan Peterson-style alpha masculinity woo-woo. These snake oil peddlers really are two sides of the one coin.

Eh, I don't think they're at all similar or similarly bad. DiAngelo's stuff is pretty useless and basically exists so workplaces can say they're doing stuff and don't get sued, but is harmless. Peterson's alpha masculinity shit is not harmless, not even to himself.

Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:44 am

Uncle Jack wrote:
The other part mentioned by Eddie goes to cultural insensitivity. Having indigenous players hurling abuse at their "Uncle"- their elder, was a very big deal that seems to have been misunderstood/diminished/neglected by the team running the camp. To then be removed from the leadership group after speaking up for the hurt done to the indigenous players would be a bitter pill to swallow not only for Eddie, but for all the indigenous players.

It seems the club's way of "moving on from this issue" was to move Eddie along.

Even ignoring the cultural stuff, I'm just genuinely unsure as to how insulting and yelling at people is supposed to help them become better players or people or whatever they were trying to achieve. It's just stupid.

I remember Akermanis mentioned that he thought this Leading Teams shit was basically workplace bullying and being generally made fun of for it, but he was 100% right.

Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 9:45 am

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
Telling anyone that you'll be a shit parent because you were raised by a single parent deserves a punch straight to the face every day.

What’s more, the entire notion that this kind of "negging" is a useful psychological tool is ridiculous. It reminds me of stuff I’ve heard about the Landmark Forum (check out a documentary on them here: https://archive.org/details/VoyageDesNouveauxGourous), a kind of weekend self-help seminar where you go to basically be torn to shreds in front of your fellow participants, which supposedly makes you reconsider your life and come out a better person on the other side.

The real aim is to make the participant an emotional wreck, which in turn makes them feel like it’s an important process (if it hurts, it must be good for you). They then get you to sign up for more expensive workshops and encourage you to recruit friends and family members (just as Collective Mind effectively did by giving scripts to the players to read out to their partners and the media). Stuff like that is a pyramid scheme at best, cult at worst. No qualified, competent therapist would employ these techniques.

Funnily enough, "negging" is also a very common tool in the "pick up artist" world and it never works there either (or more accurately, it works about 10% of the time, which convinces these idiots that they should keep doing it).

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:23 am

I can never understand how anyone thinks insults, bullying, nastiness will ever build anyone up.

Encouragement, honest but not nasty, feedback, building self esteem, encouraging team spirit, thars what builds people up.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:26 am

SwansWay wrote:
That's why it angers me when posters refer to the players at Essendon as cheats...those players deserve our unreserved sympathy.

No they don’t, only the player who had the guts to question it, does. I’ll give the younger players a pass but the senior ones should have questioned it. They knew,how could you not? Thereis only one reason for such secrecy

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 11:26 am

David wrote:
Jenkins’ testimony here: https://youtu.be/kRFr3wbZ0mE

Seems he was the main one to speak up before, during and after the camp, and was punished for it.

I hope he wins his case

Just disgusting

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:36 pm

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/adelaide-crows/afl-news-2022-adelaide-crows-camp-latest-bryce-gibbs-interview-audio-full-transcript-eddie-betts-josh-jenkins/news-story/a323af97c73d51edc81826576afe42cf

here it is in print

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:36 pm

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/teams/adelaide-crows/afl-news-2022-adelaide-crows-camp-latest-bryce-gibbs-interview-audio-full-transcript-eddie-betts-josh-jenkins/news-story/a323af97c73d51edc81826576afe42cf

here it is in print

Dr Pie 

Dr Pie

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:39 pm

The Age placed this paragraph below Caroline Wilson's article in today's Age

"The Age reported on the Adelaide Crows’ camp in 2020, in a story which included a number of similar allegations to those in Eddie Betts’ autobiography, as well as other claims. Collective Mind sued for defamation. In December 2021, The Age and Nine made a business decision to settle the case and issue an apology without admitting that the story was inaccurate."

It strikes me if the business people from Nine and The Age had shown the courage and confidence in their journalists in this case as they did in the Ben Roberts-Smith case less people may have been subjected to Collective Minds dangerous bullshit.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 4:51 pm

sadly i dont thin reporters, newspapers etc will ever go hand in hand with integrity
What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:31 pm

Yikes!!!

Can't understand how Riccutto hasn't stepped down.

PS, this aged poorly

https://www.triplem.com.au/story/mark-ricciuto-says-the-public-will-never-know-the-whole-truth-about-the-adelaide-camp-98737

skaman Taurus

One step beyond.......

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:48 pm

Its ver Army 80’s style( for me), we were told nose to nose by our sergeants and corporals what they were gunna do to our mothers etc etc. It was to try and break you down and weed out the weak. It was to strike a nerve and find your achiles heel. Not to be taken seriously ( at the end of the day). Like a footy field when an opponent tries to get in your head . Once the siren sounds , its shake hands and sorry about the vitriol. No harm intended, it was heat of battle.
Now not making excuses, but this is how i was traied and trained others into releasing sensitive info etc. This was Army but not considered “ bastardisation “…. Back then. Today , however , its a totally different discussion and perspective.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:59 pm

skaman wrote:
Its ver Army 80’s style( for me), we were told nose to nose by our sergeants and corporals what they were gunna do to our mothers etc etc. It was to try and break you down and weed out the weak. It was to strike a nerve and find your achiles heel. Not to be taken seriously ( at the end of the day). Like a footy feel when an opponent tries to get in your head . Once the siren sounds , its shake hands and sorry about the vitriol. No harm intended, it was heat of battle.
Now not making excuses, but this is how i was traied and trained others into releasing sensitive info etc. This was Army but not considered “ bastardisation “…. Back then. Today , however , its a totally different discussion and perspective.

....and if this happened at a football club in the 1980s, I don't think there would be the same level of outrage and disgust.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 7:05 pm

^
A lot of what was just considered normal 40 years ago isn't considered acceptable now. Society has evolved.

Wonka 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 9:14 pm

lazzadesilva wrote:
What'sinaname wrote:
David wrote:
lazzadesilva wrote:
Where is Caroline Wilson’s pukefest on this on the front page of the Age? Oh that’s right, it’s not Collingwood 😩

She's gone after Ricciuto too:

You're not doing it right David. It's a conspiracy against Collingwood. Everything is.

No it is not a conspiracy. It’s a double standard. For example if it had been Hertier Lubumba, Wilson would have gleefully attacked Collingwood on the front page of the Age. Not a doubt.

No, you are simply wrong, because Caroline Wilson has written about it, as she has in the past, as you can read for yourself at https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/hollow-inadequate-denials-and-silence-made-a-shameful-exercise-so-much-worse-20220805-p5b7i2.html .
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 17 of 18   

Jump to: