Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

St. Kilda after De Goey

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:30 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows how this will play out, but with the exception of Beams, I cant remember us losing a player to another club that we were not prepared to let go. So it can happen, but its rare.

I am a bit surprised at the gnashing of teeth about de Goey. He has a lot of potential, but hes been inconsistent and after about five years in the system, his impact has been modest. Id really hope we keep him, but hed need to prove himself a bit more before Id lose too much sleep over it.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 12:47 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Who knows how this will play out, but with the exception of Beams, I cant remember us losing a player to another club that we were not prepared to let go. So it can happen, but its rare.

I am a bit surprised at the gnashing of teeth about de Goey. He has a lot of potential, but hes been inconsistent and after about five years in the system, his impact has been modest. Id really hope we keep him, but hed need to prove himself a bit more before Id lose too much sleep over it.

It's not so much gnashing of teeth more churning of stomach. He would be a big loss IMO. Seeing him close up & live in the VFL I saw things in him that were truly outstanding and it wan't all the illict drugs I wasn't taking.

Yes he has been inconsistent but he still hasn't had a full pre season. The kid is ready to explode. I reckon we saw a glimpse last week. Like you I really do hope we keep him.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 2:21 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

It's not so much gnashing of teeth more churning of stomach. He would be a big loss IMO. Seeing him close up & live in the VFL I saw things in him that were truly outstanding and it wan't all the illict drugs I wasn't taking.

Yes he has been inconsistent but he still hasn't had a full pre season. The kid is ready to explode. I reckon we saw a glimpse last week. Like you I really do hope we keep him.

Well, I sure hope you are right. Hes been a hell of a frustrating player up to now. He could be anything, no doubt. I just wish hed hurry along and commit himself to fulfilling that potential. Last week was great - really great. I just hope he backs it up this week, as it has never been a given with Jordy thus far.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:27 pm

Mugwump wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

Well, I sure hope you are right. Hes been a hell of a frustrating player up to now. He could be anything, no doubt. I just wish hed hurry along and commit himself to fulfilling that potential. Last week was great - really great. I just hope he backs it up this week, as it has never been a given with Jordy thus far.

Michael Gleeson has been reading Nicks!

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/a-pair-of-players-collingwood-can-t-let-goey-20180511-p4zet7.html

K 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:18 pm

masoncox wrote:
dalyc wrote:

Do you know how they train elephants?

With a mouse????

https://www.instagram.com/p/BaVlKjWjY2L/?taken-by=tomlangdon08
https://www.instagram.com/p/BaTqCtvjP2S/?taken-by=eddylangdon
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:27 pm

Hell stay. Even if he takes less money, why in Gods name would you go St kilda?

Shit club, shit team. No chance of a flag in 10 years.

K 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:26 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Let's cut to the chase here and compare one elite footballer to another. It took Stephenson 4 games to kick 5 goals in an AFL game while it took De Goey 4 years before he kicked his bag of 5 goals. So what was it holding De Goey back if it wasn't because of lack of application and hard work?

And Ronke 3 games to kick a bag of 7 goals.
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 9:53 am

Mugwump wrote:

The Beams situation was completely different. A father battling (and then losing) a battle with cancer is different to JDG case
If his father is sprouting off at the mouth like has been reported then he's doing his son no favours.
There wouldn't be a club in the comp who wouldn't want JDG if he was on the market. The kid has shown his best is very good but he needs to add consistency to make him a very good player
If he decides to leave (which I hope he doesn't) having at least 1 more and likely 2 more 1st round picks in what's considered a super draft isn't such a bad thing.
If the saints want him that bad then we get there 1st round pick + a compo pick in the first round that's a minimum requirement
Saints look likely to finish bottom 6 and we are likely to finish somewhere between 6-10 (more likely 8 or 9) so our compo pick would be the next after our original pick so we would be armed with a pick between 3-6 from the saints then a pick between 8-12 then another between 9-13. We could sure land some talent with those if he did leave
As Rudeboy said there's lots of water to flow under the bridge yet.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:06 am

God I hate topics like this. They cause unnecessary angst and anxiety and will continue to do so until he makes a decision on his future. I for one hope he stays. If he continues to bring the style of game we saw against brisbane then he'll be a star. It's exactly what we've been wanting from him for years. He threatens to do it but has never really delivered or lived up to our expectations.

For a pick 5, we should expect more. Question is whether or not he's willing to work hard enough to achieve it. On the other hand if he wants to be a dickhead then I'd rather he do that an another club. I don't think he will get another chance with us if he screws up again. His issues are obviously between the ears.

If a club came to him, offered big $$$, let him off the leash and let him behave as he pleases then I'm sure he'll go. St buggery is exactly the sort of club that that would encourage and tolerate that crap. He's worth a first rounder and a first round compo - nothing less.
thebaldfacts 

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 11:20 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

The Beams situation was completely different. A father battling (and then losing) a battle with cancer is different to JDG case
If his father is sprouting off at the mouth like has been reported then he's doing his son no favours.
There wouldn't be a club in the comp who wouldn't want JDG if he was on the market. The kid has shown his best is very good but he needs to add consistency to make him a very good player
If he decides to leave (which I hope he doesn't) having at least 1 more and likely 2 more 1st round picks in what's considered a super draft isn't such a bad thing.
If the saints want him that bad then we get there 1st round pick + a compo pick in the first round that's a minimum requirement
Saints look likely to finish bottom 6 and we are likely to finish somewhere between 6-10 (more likely 8 or 9) so our compo pick would be the next after our original pick so we would be armed with a pick between 3-6 from the saints then a pick between 8-12 then another between 9-13. We could sure land some talent with those if he did leave
As Rudeboy said there's lots of water to flow under the bridge yet.

JDG is not a free agent, so no compo pick will apply.

We have to trade him or he goes into the draft as a free agent.

Doubt we will get more than a first round pick for him.

Having said that, sign him up now.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 1:28 pm

^^We would get more than a first round pick. He's in the same situation as Treloar was when we traded for him: out of contract but not an unrestricted free agent with many clubs interested.

On the thought that De Goey hasn't shown much yet. I disagree. He's tracking very well for a player entering his fourth year. As he relies on strength more than absolute speed it can take a bit more time than for someone like Stephenson, but the signs have been there from his first year that he'd be very good.

As a "type" he's exactly what everyone wants a modern midfielder to be. He's tall, he has power, he has quite good pace and he can kick goals. There is definitely the potential to be elite.

How is he progressing compared to his peers? Of the top 5 taken in the 2014 draft, right now the best performed would be a toss up between Petracca and De Goey. On the stats there is not much between them. De Goey is ahead of the others, so I don't get the thinking that he has somehow underperformed or not developed as quickly as we'd hoped. Even going further down the list, other than Lever, there's no one in the top 15 who has out performed Jordan.

Overall, the best performed player from that draft is clearly between Petracca, De Goey and Lever. Who will ultimately be the best is still unknown, but De Goey is right in the mix.

2014 draft:
1. McCartin
2. Petracca
3. Brayshaw
4. Pickett
5. De Goey
6. Marchbank
7. Ahern
8. Wright
9. Moore
10. Cockatoo
11. Duggan
12. Ellis
13. Weller
14. Lever
15. Garlett

Edit: missed Heeney from further down the list. Again though, on the stats he and De Goey are quite even.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 2:09 pm

I agree with inky.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 3:33 pm

Would love to get Petracca at the club.

To bad he's enshrined himself in red and blue.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:15 pm

I'd be more worried about the Hawks getting JDG than the Aints.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:27 pm

Mugwump wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Mugwump wrote:

I think both of you are right.

The potential of what de Goey could be is obvious but he would have given himself greater chance of already being an established A grade talent if he had of curtailed some of his off field activities you would think.

We've only scratched the surface so far on what he can deliver week to week so the thought of losing him now would be a bitter pill to swallow.

I just hope like hell the penny has finally dropped for him so he lives his life with a better balance between being a professional athlete and social animal.

I do know he and we can't afford anymore embarrassing stuff ups this season otherwise sadly I doubt the club with be prepared to give him another chance given the climate clubs now operate under.

Of course as it's always been if de Goey can turn himself into a consistent high level performer then he'll earn himself credits in the bank and the club will more willing to overlook any indiscretion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11   

Jump to: