Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Are we finally a quick side?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:36 pm
Post subject: Are we finally a quick side?Reply with quote

Couldn’t help but thinking last night we may have changed the perception of being a team of plodders to actually a team of pace. Consider our recent recruiting and the pace additions:

2014:

* Maynard
* Moore (absent last night)
* DeGoey
* Crisp

2015:

* Varcoe

2016:

* Phillips
* Howe
* Treloar

2017:

* C Brown
* Wells (absent)
* Hoskin Elliott

2018:

* Murray
* Stephenson

Sure we have our usual foot soldiers whom meander the field but 11 of the above list played last night and would indicate a reasonable transition has taken place.

Last edited by inxs88 on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:54 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some good (general) runners on the playing list, but almost no one has explosive acceleration. Of those named in the OP, none outside the last three are currently very fast.

Ball-transition speed is a bit different from foot speed, though.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:05 pm

Treloar, Hoskin-Elliott, Stephenson, Murray, Varcoe and Thomas are all very quick. That's a fleet of 6 speedsters, whereas a year or so ago we might have had only one or two.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:09 pm

^ I don't know if it's only my perception but when Murray activates the afterburners everyone around him slows down. absolute delight to watch!!!
K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:16 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Treloar, Hoskin-Elliott, Stephenson, Murray, Varcoe and Thomas are all very quick. ...

Yes, a fit Treloar I'd put ahead of most named in the opening post.
Not convinced about a couple of the others, though.
And I'd guess that some are at best only very fast in the sense of running down the wing, not in the sense of bursting from the bottom of a pack.
Put it this way: very few of them in their draft year had pace as their standout selling point.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:27 pm

It's not just the speed, it's the acceleration from a standing start.

Murray and Stephenson can just get the ball and take off.

WHE has serious toe but, like Varoce, needs a bit to build up top speed.

Manyard has good pack busting acceleration but his top speed is no where near the others.

Treloar has both the speed and acceleration but not in the same post code as Murray and Stephenson.

Phillips, Howe, Thomas and Brown are not that quick.

K 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:39 pm

Yes, acceleration from rest, and in awkward positions and directions, not just in a straight line ahead. That has been rather lacking previously.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:17 pm

^ Since we cleared Wellingham, who was as fast over the first two yards from a standing start as anyone in the game (Judd-like, in fact). To avoid inadvertently cueing the clowns who want to argue that it was a good/bad decision to trade Wellingham, I'm saying neither. I'm just saying he was very quick off the mark and we haven't really had that explosive speed from the contest since he left. Stephenson and Murray definitely have it.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:22 pm

K wrote:
There are some good (general) runners on the playing list, but almost no one has explosive acceleration. Of those named in the OP, none outside the last three are currently very fast.

Ball-transition speed is a bit different from foot speed, though.

Ball transition speed is just as important as foot speed as well as good decision making, which is why I rank Scharenberg up there with both Murray and Stephenson, even though Scharenberg lacks a bit of leg speed. Also, WHE has seriously quick leg speed.
Pie as a Kite 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:31 pm

If Ben Sinclair and Nathan Freeman hadn’t had their injury problems I suspect we would have hit this point a couple of years ago. It’s not as if the club has only just released speed is useful, they recruited that speed but had some very bad luck with it.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 6:32 pm

Yes, but since Scharenberg actually gets across the turf at a little slower than glacial pace, it probably isn't the thread to discuss him in.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:57 pm

Half time sprint. Sam Murray vs Michael Walters would be worth the cost of the ticket.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:08 pm

We have definitely got quicker and are now a reasonably quick team.

More importantly, we have become a good running team. It's handy to have some players with blistering pace, but it's essential to have a group of strong runners. Previously we mostly had Sidebottom, now he's got quite a bit of company. I think this is one reason why he was able to have two of his best games in the last fortnight. It's a transformation that's been building over the last couple of years and it's now starting to produce results.

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:31 am

AN_Inkling wrote:

More importantly, we have become a good running team. It's handy to have some players with blistering pace, but it's essential to have a group of strong runners. Previously we mostly had Sidebottom, now he's got quite a bit of company. I think this is one reason why he was able to have two of his best games in the last fortnight. It's a transformation that's been building over the last couple of years and it's now starting to produce results.

Yep. There's different types of fast. We have a pretty good blend going at the moment.

I even like Crisp's version of it. Useful pace without being standout but with the weight and strength behind it to break tackles and get clear. I'm hoping Maynard gets that ability with a few more preseasons in the gym. If you can't sprint through the zone, just steamroll it.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:07 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:

That's right inky, but it's also a great asset to have some players with burst speed, to initiate attacks as well as run down opponents. For the first time in a few years, we now have a few players who can really put the burners on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: