Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Chris Scott calls Buckley's prior opportunity idea ‘silly’

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:04 pm
Post subject: Chris Scott calls Buckley's prior opportunity idea ‘silly’Reply with quote

On Whateley’s program on SEN today Bucks was asked about all this latest talk about changes to the rules of our game to remove congestion. His response was clear that we should leave it alone. When pressed by Gerard he said that they could look at removing prior opportunity. Not the silliest suggestion I’ve heard. Better than Zones if you ask me. Those two whinging twins were quick to pounce on our man. Chris Scott called it a silly idea and Brad Scott who is on this new AFL committee appointed dismissed it too. Not technically the forum for this discussion I know Mods but it’s the biggest discussion going round this week. If prior opportunity was got rid of, you’d kick instead of handballing to a guy under the pump right? Still reckon it’s one of the better ideas I’ve heard but I reckon just leave it be and umpire according to the rules more strictly. The hysteria going round this week is crap. The games still good to watch when you’re winning.

Last edited by Damien on Wed May 02, 2018 7:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
K 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm aghast. Football has already gone too much in the direction of rewarding negative things rather than positive things. (I hope this is just a fluctuation, not a long-term trend.)

The obvious concern is that with a ball in dispute you'd be better of hanging back a fraction and then tackling the ball-getter rather than going in and getting it first.

And coaches in general are not the best people to ask about rule changes.
Invigoration 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:26 pm

I heard Chris Scott on AFL 360 last night say he thought that idea was silly, not that 'our coach was silly'.

I tend to agree too, getting rid of prior opportunity is a silly, heavy handed idea to resolve the issue of congestion. Get rid of the wings and play with 16 if you want to do something dramatic to try and resolve it.

Blokes should be given an opportunity to get rid of the ball else it's just going to turn into hot potato.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Invigoration wrote:
I heard Chris Scott on AFL 360 last night say he thought that idea was silly, not that 'our coach was silly'.

I tend to agree too, getting rid of prior opportunity is a silly, heavy handed idea to resolve the issue of congestion. Get rid of the wings and play with 16 if you want to do something dramatic to try and resolve it.

Blokes should be given an opportunity to get rid of the ball else it's just going to turn into hot potato.

Thanks for weighing into the debate mate. Im interested to hear all opinions. I differ to you on the 16 player suggestion. I reckon 18 on the field is part of the fabric of our game. Like 11 on the field in cricket. I reckon Drastically reducing interchange or getting rid of it altogether are better options.

Last edited by Damien on Wed May 02, 2018 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:33 pm

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/even-the-coaches-can-t-agree-on-prior-opportunity-20180502-p4zcyn.html

Maybe there's a SEN link somewhere too.
K 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:41 pm

Eade's "solution" is to have fixed minimum numbers in different areas at each throw-in. As he pointed out, this is not "zoning" at all, because it's just at the start of a stoppage and everyone can go wherever they want once it does start. We already have some restrictions for centre bounces. I think the centre square was introduced only in something like 1970 (does anyone recall?), and its dimensions have changed since then.

Perhaps, though, there would be no supposed problem in need of a rule-change solution if the players weren't so unskilled. That's the real problem. They blame low scores, lack of free-flowing play, etc., on "congestion", when that is just the result of poor disposal skills.
melliot 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:46 pm

I agree with bux. IMO we need to more strickly apply rules such as holding the ball, illegal disposal, and especially holding the man and in the back.

When a player is tackled to the gourd and they have the oponent lay on their back to lock the ball in, should be paid in the back.

When was the last time you saw a player "hailing a cab"?

It will releases the ball more often into open space and reduces stoppages and should mean better spread.

I personally don't think the game is that poor.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:17 pm

Prior opportunity is one of those recently made up things that requires umpires to make yet another value judgement.

Rule changes I'd favour:

1. If you get tackled and the ball is dislodged, prior opportunity or not it's a free kick for incorrect disposal.

2. If you tackle someone to the ground and a player jumps on top, automatic free kick against the player who was 3rd in

3. 2 players from each team must be in the 50 metre arcs at all times, not just at stoppages. That reduces congestion from 36 players around the ball to 32 and makes them keep players off the pack to attack/defend against the ball coming out

4. the protected zone should include the man on the mark, You don't get to stand next to the player on the mark and hammer them as soon as the player with the ball plays on. Fck right off out of there

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:31 pm

I’m all for a tweak to the congestion but without changing the rules.
Personally I’m one of the ones who believes that to many poor footballers are getting a game of footy and they can’t play their part in keeping the ball moving. They either get caught, make mistakes in possession or miss easy targets ( usually cause they are forced onto their wrong sides )
My thoughts or considerations ( without implementing any ADDITIONAL rule changes ) would be -

Raise min draft age to nineteen and put additional resources into the pathways for feeder clubs. Young players need better preparation for the step up. Most ( bottom ) clubs are playing 4/5 kids under 20. They aren’t ready and they make more mistakes as a consequence.

- Umpires to get to stoppages and ball ups quicker and throw the ball up as quickly as possible without worrying about nominating ruckman or clearing their own pathway out of the traffic. Bring back third man up if he’s quick enough to get there.

- At least experiment with less interchanges. Everyone’s talking about it but no one knows what to expect. This should have been expanded upon two years ago and the results closely monitored.

- you could also EXPERIMENT with paying a free kick against the last team to have touched ball before it goes over boundary. The theory is that it encourages more corridor football and is likely to result in more scoring. That may not solve congestion issues though, particularly if you’re still playing kids who aren’t up to it.

Also, it only needs a slight shift in umpiring mentality to reward the tackler just a little more often ( it becomes a mindset change for the umps rather than a rule change ) At least a free kick opens the game up as opposed to another ball up because the play maker has been caught like they usually are.
I think supporters will adapt, as long as the umps are perceived as consistent on the day.

Something to ponder only, I’m not advocating these are the solutions ( although, being involved in TAC over the years, I have long been a fan of raising the draft age )
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:54 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Prior opportunity is one of those recently made up things that requires umpires to make yet another value judgement.

Rule changes I'd favour:

1. If you get tackled and the ball is dislodged, prior opportunity or not it's a free kick for incorrect disposal.

2. If you tackle someone to the ground and a player jumps on top, automatic free kick against the player who was 3rd in

3. 2 players from each team must be in the 50 metre arcs at all times, not just at stoppages. That reduces congestion from 36 players around the ball to 32 and makes them keep players off the pack to attack/defend against the ball coming out

4. the protected zone should include the man on the mark, You don't get to stand next to the player on the mark and hammer them as soon as the player with the ball plays on. Fck right off out of there

I like them all, except the first one.
Getting the ball is what the game is about, give the bloke who's prepared to get it a bit of time (prior opportunity I guess).
I hate when someone gets the ball, gets nabbed instantly and the grounds frothing at the mouth calling "BALL". You have to have a decent shot at getting rid of it. Also, these blokes get buried and mauled sometimes, don't they have a back?!

For me, it's the blokes getting held without it and in marking contests that need to be looked after... and I don't mean negligible shit that Razor loves, but the obvious chops and grabs.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 8:59 pm

Invigoration wrote:
Get rid of the wings and play with 16 if you want to do something dramatic to try and resolve it.

This. I’d love to see it tried as a starting point, with other things like stoppage zones as the next step if required. The game is not pleasant to watch much of the time, and it is too hard on bodies, as the long injury recovery times show.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:16 pm

You know the game has a problem when your team wins the ball, looks to stream forward and is held up because it has no one to kick to.

Does my head in and I just wish a coach, any coach would have the courage to anchor 1 or 2 players inside 50 when the ball is up the other end.

It might cost you a few contests, perhaps a few goals to begin with but slowly and surely the wheel will turn and it'll become a positive or a neutral move and be adopted competition wide.

Just last season when Geelong was forced to use Dangerfield inside 50 we saw how much damage can still be done in the modern game with this tactic and it would take a brave coach to leave a Moore, Sidebottom or Elliott all alone inside f50.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:54 pm

swoop42 wrote:
You know the game has a problem when your team wins the ball, looks to stream forward and is held up because it has no one to kick to.

Does my head in and I just wish a coach, any coach would have the courage to anchor 1 or 2 players inside 50 when the ball is up the other end.

It might cost you a few contests, perhaps a few goals to begin with but slowly and surely the wheel will turn and it'll become a positive or a neutral move and be adopted competition wide.

Just last season when Geelong was forced to use Dangerfield inside 50 we saw how much damage can still be done in the modern game with this tactic and it would take a brave coach to leave a Moore, Sidebottom or Elliott all alone inside f50.

The idea of anchoring a couple forwards deep in your own forward 50 sets up an interesting tactic. That decision in it’s self, isn’t that radical. The reaction to that tactic then becomes more about what the defenders are instructed to do by their coach.
If the ball is at the other end of the ground, you would prabably ask all your defenders to roll up to the next contest and have two extras on every line while those two forwards just twiddle their thumbs cause the ball never got past the extras up the ground ( or beyond the two extras moved into the stoppage )
The idea of implementing zones is to eliminate that tactic but I just have a problem with such a radical change to the game. Plus some coach will probably get around all that anyway and we are back to square one again.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 9:57 pm

I actually disagree with Bucks on this.

I'm in favour of eradicating the interchange completely. Have 4 or even 6 on the bench, but when a player comes off, he can't come back on. This would significantly slow the game down and reduce the ability of masses of players continually running up and down. There would also be far less burst speed going on. It might even lead to a bit of a return to position football, since players would need to pace themselves to last the whole game. Then again wtfwik?
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 10:15 pm

Skids wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Rule changes I'd favour:

I like them all, except the first one.
Getting the ball is what the game is about, give the bloke who's prepared to get it a bit of time (prior opportunity I guess).
I hate when someone gets the ball, gets nabbed instantly and the grounds frothing at the mouth calling "BALL". You have to have a decent shot at getting rid of it. Also, these blokes get buried and mauled sometimes, don't they have a back?!

For me, it's the blokes getting held without it and in marking contests that need to be looked after... and I don't mean negligible shit that Razor loves, but the obvious chops and grabs.

I get your point. I put that together with the jump on the pack one.

If you grab it and just hold on, no pack on top of you so the umpires can clearly see what you're doing, you're gone.

If you grab it and drop it from a tackle, you're gone.

That should stop players laying off to someone under pressure while hopefully still providing protections for the player who actually goes and wins the ball.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12   

Jump to: