Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pip Lions - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:22 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Collingwood 19.7.121
Brisbane 18.6.114

12 goalkickers: de Goey 5, Thomas 3, Stevo 2, H-E, Varcoe, Cox, Phillips, Howe, Mayne, Moore, Treloar, Pendles 1

Disposals: Sidey 34, Phillips 28, Treloar, Murray 24, Thomas 22, Stevo 21, de Goey, Pendles 20, Varcoe, Crisp 19, Mayne 18, Howe 17, Grundy, Blair 16, Adams, Shaz 14, Appleby, H-E 13,

D/E: Mayne 90%, Phillips 85.7, Howe 82.4, Thomas 82, Cox 90% 10 disposals, so 9 to advantage. Smile

Tackles: Grundy 11, Treloar 7.

AF Points: Phillips 114, de Goey 113, Thomas 103, Sidey 110, Grundy 111, Murray 101, Treloar 100

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
K 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:37 am

jatsad wrote:
Why does Buckley have to be so obstinate and pig-headed?
Zorko has failed this year with a hard tag on him but Buckley refuses...
Adams would make a perfect tagger ...

Can someone confirm who actually did play on Zorko? The claim post-Mitchell was that they tried to mute him and failed.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:21 am

Thanks Jezza, really appreciate it,

Good answers from the coach.

Like I said last night, I’d rather get a nea4 miss wake up call from the lowly lions than next week from the cats. Cheers

ronrat 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:39 am

The solution to the mid week ANZAC fixtures is too obvious for the 2000 dickheads working for the AFL. Port and the Suns get a bye for the China game the week after, Give the 4 Melbourne based clubs a bye the week after and those 4 plus Port and Suns play on the bye weekend. You could have a game friday, Saturday, and Sunday and one of those will be interstate, Say Collingwood- Richmond Friday. Gold Coast and Melbourne Sunday and Essendon-Port Saturday night. or some other mixture. The China can be scheduled anytime so have it say the Thursday after ANZAC day or even as the a monday night game before it. The timing of the bye is not that important. Pllayers have been training for 4 or 5 months. A 10 day break or 14 is hardly a difference. They can still piss off Bali for a week or whatever. The AFLPA mandate that all players get say 8 days off. They will still run and use weights etc, Just not have the body contact.

So what if only 7 games are on the weekend after. 2 or 3 are clashes anyway.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:03 am

.03 and we are in eighth so not only the tight game against Lions but the Tigers flurry of red time goals puts us nineth

We were really fatigued and still got win but must start getting big wins soon

Let’s start with the Puddy Tats

Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:14 am

It was ugly but to hold on after Brisbane's relentless pressure, bizarrely unusual straight kicking for goal and some dodgy home crowd umpiring, for me, that was just as impressive as our win in Adelaide. Only two players to mention, both for very different reasons.. Jordan DeGoey - beast, star and match winner. Mayne - if I see his name in the 22 again, I'll throw up!
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:24 am

Mayne was serviceable—-just and does not jell with our style or brand or whatever you like to call it

Our two standouts In Grundy and Steel played well but a little below what we have had from them—-no discredit as these two have worked tirelessly but fatigue hits all comers

There has to be a game where we can rest one or both

On the Mayne thing does Moore with game time fill the key CHF role ?

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:45 am

ronrat wrote:
The solution to the mid week ANZAC fixtures is too obvious for the 2000 dickheads working for the AFL. Port and the Suns get a bye for the China game the week after, Give the 4 Melbourne based clubs a bye the week after and those 4 plus Port and Suns play on the bye weekend. You could have a game friday, Saturday, and Sunday and one of those will be interstate, Say Collingwood- Richmond Friday. Gold Coast and Melbourne Sunday and Essendon-Port Saturday night. or some other mixture. The China can be scheduled anytime so have it say the Thursday after ANZAC day or even as the a monday night game before it. The timing of the bye is not that important. Pllayers have been training for 4 or 5 months. A 10 day break or 14 is hardly a difference. They can still piss off Bali for a week or whatever. The AFLPA mandate that all players get say 8 days off. They will still run and use weights etc, Just not have the body contact.

So what if only 7 games are on the weekend after. 2 or 3 are clashes anyway.

This makes a lot of sense. Cool

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:25 am

I get the impression Bucks either doesn’t like JDG or he doesn’t want to pump his tyres up.

He was a match winner, could’ve had 7 goals, and his response after being asked about his game was something along the lines of “He was poor last week...” Seriously, give him some credit FFS. I’m sure there’s a few defensive breakdowns he’s not happy about, the same reason he won’t pick Fasolo. But you put up with that when a player can kick 5.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:32 am

K wrote:
jatsad wrote:

Can someone confirm who actually did play on Zorko? The claim post-Mitchell was that they tried to mute him and failed.

To beat a contested ball winner like Zorko you need a player who can block his path and do it in such a way that the umpire doesn't blow his whistle. We don't have such a player since Crisp is playing behind the ball and Greenwood is injured. If Wills is fit he could be such a player to do it, but he may find himself behind the pecking order with Sier named as the emergency. If you don't have the players to do the job against a player like Zorko what's the coach supposed to do? Clubs have tried to tag Tom Mitchell. Clubs have tried run with players to stop Mitchell. If you concentrate too hard to negate the efforts of one player, another player pops up and destroys you. If you play a player like Treloar to play on Zorko you may lose the creative runs of Treloar down the forward line. Adams yesterday wasn't fit enough to take Zorko on but Adams was involved in two creative plays in the last quarter that resulted in goals. Do you give up the chance to create goals down one end of the ground in order to stop a player going down the other end and kicking goals? It's a balance you need to get right. The defenders didn't get it right yesterday either so why blame the mids for not being able to contain Zorko? Zorko wasn't the only Brisbane mid out there. Beams did a lot of damage too, especially that goal he kicked in the last quarter. Pendlebury not being out there harmed us. Be grateful for the win in front of a hostile crowd and a set of umpires who gave us nothing all day apart from the obvious frees.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:42 am

BazBoy wrote:
Mayne was serviceable—-just and does not jell with our style or brand or whatever you like to call it

Our two standouts In Grundy and Steel played well but a little below what we have had from them—-no discredit as these two have worked tirelessly but fatigue hits all comers

There has to be a game where we can rest one or both

On the Mayne thing does Moore with game time fill the key CHF role ?

Hopefully Hawkins gets a week and we don't have to worry about the Geelong talls and we can continue playing Moore on the forward line next week. Otherwise we can't afford a situation of having to play Scharenberg on a guy like McStay who is going to mark the ball every time it goes long to the forward line. The answer then is to play Moore in the backline. Don't know why Buckley didn't make the move yesterday.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:58 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
K wrote:
jatsad wrote:

To beat a contested ball winner like Zorko you need a player who can block his path and do it in such a way that the umpire doesn't blow his whistle. We don't have such a player since Crisp is playing behind the ball and Greenwood is injured. If Wills is fit he could be such a player to do it, but he may find himself behind the pecking order with Sier named as the emergency. If you don't have the players to do the job against a player like Zorko what's the coach supposed to do? Clubs have tried to tag Tom Mitchell. Clubs have tried run with players to stop Mitchell. If you concentrate too hard to negate the efforts of one player, another player pops up and destroys you. If you play a player like Treloar to play on Zorko you may lose the creative runs of Treloar down the forward line. Adams yesterday wasn't fit enough to take Zorko on but Adams was involved in two creative plays in the last quarter that resulted in goals. Do you give up the chance to create goals down one end of the ground in order to stop a player going down the other end and kicking goals? It's a balance you need to get right. The defenders didn't get it right yesterday either so why blame the mids for not being able to contain Zorko? Zorko wasn't the only Brisbane mid out there. Beams did a lot of damage too, especially that goal he kicked in the last quarter. Pendlebury not being out there harmed us. Be grateful for the win in front of a hostile crowd and a set of umpires who gave us nothing all day apart from the obvious frees.

To hard tag or not to hard tag is a whole new topic in itself and everything above is very valid.
The fundamental underlying reason why most coaches prefer not to hard tag is because it is effectively one less set of eyes fixed firmly on the football in the contest. The best way to get any gain from a hard tag is to play an extra number at the stoppage so as to offset that balance. That tactic in itself doesn’t suit a lot of coaches who may prefer to play the extra behind the ball ( particularly when protecting a score )

As BIFC says, it’s the ultimate balancing act. Most coaches are ego driven and conceding a tag to the opposition is also frowned upon simply because it suggests their structures won’t stand up unless we change our game plan to suit an individual ( that’s pure ego though )
Jacobs is easily the best in the business and he is a unique footballer. The reason he is the best at it is because he still racks up mid field numbers while he stops his opponent. That takes immense concentration, sacrifice, gut running and strength. There are very few going around who can justify that role in footy.
Zorko is a dual A A. Sometimes you just got to concede the guy once again did what he does best, play good footy more often than not.
Some on here seem very quick to bag the coaching staff everytime we lose, so I personally have no criticism of the “ no tag “ decision simply because we won the game.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:19 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
I get the impression Bucks either doesn’t like JDG or he doesn’t want to pump his tyres up.

He was a match winner, could’ve had 7 goals, and his response after being asked about his game was something along the lines of “He was poor last week...” Seriously, give him some credit FFS. I’m sure there’s a few defensive breakdowns he’s not happy about, the same reason he won’t pick Fasolo. But you put up with that when a player can kick 5.

Nah I reckon just the opposite. He wants the kid to really prove himself, if he didn’t like him, he would be gone. He like Faz too, he looking after him.

foreigner Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:10 pm

Whatever is said, it was a riveting game and we won. I was there to witness it and it was great, never expected so many pies supporters but they turned out in numbers. Yes, it wasn't MCGesque, but they were singing good old Collingwood forever in the streets after the game.

Both teams made mistakes, but the goal kicking was superb. Any time we score 19.7 I'll take it (18.6 for the Lions). There were a lot of momentum swings and yet we persisted. It wasn't the Collingwood of last year, who would have faded away in the 3rd or 4th quarter.

We are a team on the rise, and this type of games will hold us in good stead and improve self-belief. We shouldn't expect the team to bulldoze everyone in front of them, that is to have unrealistic expectations with many teams being capable of toppling any other team. Only exception maybe the tigers at the moment with momentum and being extraordinarily luck on the injury front - surely it can't last and in a way it seems they are peaking at the wrong time - September is more than 3 months away.

It's promising to be an exciting season, after many disappointing ones, and I for one am going to enjoy the ride. There's lot of things the Pies do that we can look forward to watching.

BBHS Cancer

bbhs

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:19 pm

This game reminded me of the time Clinton Young made me kick my TV screen in. Foreigner is right, we have lost a lot of these games over the past 4 years. Another step in the right direction I believe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14   

Jump to: