Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pip Lions - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:22 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes we are a different side in as much as they still have the grit but have added playing the WHOLE game out

This does a few things —it increase,s the ability to win games

And it produces confidence in the group —-IMO its the confidence in the game plan and the feeling your team mate is just that

MJ23 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 1:50 pm

Many of the articles / commentary today list JD as being the difference in the two teams.

Has to hurt Lions a little bit that we were able to get him with their pick 5 for Beams.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:04 pm

Having now watched the game I am left wondering how to feel about it.

On the one hand it's was an entertaining, free flowing game and Brisbane actually performed very well.

On the other hand it seemed to be a game unlike all the others we have played this season and I don't think the coach will be all to satisfied by the ease in which Brisbane were able to move the ball forward at times.

Up forward outside a superb performance from de Goey others in Moore, Cox and Crocker had very little influence.

Moore in particular was horrible with 5 disposals and 0 tackles. He'd want to be far better for the run next week as this type of display will not do. W.O.G.

Adams also struggled in his return and went largely unnoticed.

Up the other end I feel the loss of Maynard on top of Langdon has upset the defensive unit more than appreciated and certainly robbed us of a couple of defenders who can mind a player and win the ball in good numbers also.

It was disappointing that a player in Zorko who has struggled with a heavy tag all season was not subject to the same treatment by us.

Why?

Worryingly if Greenwood is the only player we have who can effectively do a run with role then we might be in trouble next week up against all of Dangerfield, Selwood and Ablett.

If this was an example of a poor Collingwood performance in 2018 then I'll take it as it was still a mature display, we had injury and schedule against us but we dug deep and escaped with the 4pts.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:12 pm

Just finished watching the game after a media blackout so I didn't know the result. Wow-wee what a cliffhanger. They'd have to be the best 0-7 side in history. A few take aways from the game.

Moore is a worry, just doesn't get enough of it. I like the idea of him going on a wing or ruck roving. As it stands he'd be the first player dropped despite his size.

Mayne was ok, was working into the game and kicked the winning point. I'd like to see him get 2 more weeks. Was far from embarrassed.

Not tagging Zorko, the one player in the competition you'd tag 100% of the time because he can't handle it was given the Mitchell treatment. I know Bucks hated taggers (Ling incident) but come on man, if you can tag a 34 possession/4 goal player down to 10 touches then you do it every time.

Not getting the Blair hatred, he's doing his job. Sure, he's no star but you can't have a whole team of stars. He does what's asked of him.

I would've picked us to lose that game from 2012-2017, always seemed to drop the ones we were expected to win after the crap opposition stepped it up but this time we refused to give it away. I'd say this win, rather than the Adelaide one could define our season. Bring on Geelong.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:15 pm

Funny you found it entertaining. I found it curiously flat, a bit like watching tennis. I was watching it in a pub with more than a few ugly bogans and uninterested parties around, so maybe that was why.

Both Moore and Adams were poor, but so was the great Jamie Elliott when he finally came back for his first game last year (got about five posies that day from memory). I think it takes a few games to work into it after a significant layoff.

I agree that the loss of Maynard and Langdon has hurt us the last two weeks. Appleby is a good kid who will come on, but he and Murray were both loose cannons last night, and I thought only Howe held us together to any extent at all.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:25 pm

BBHS wrote:
This game reminded me of the time Clinton Young made me kick my TV screen in...

Let me guess: the 2014 R16 GCS game at Carrara?
Deep into last quarter, Blair spots him up from the pocket, and Young dropped the biggest f&cking soda of all time in front of the goals to lose us the game?

Played five more games after that, then the remainder of his contract in exile, playing VFL.

K 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:29 pm

piedys wrote:
Deep into last quarter, Blair spots him up from the pocket, and Young dropped ...

Not Blair, but Brent Macaffer, I think. Some claimed Macaffer should just have kicked the goal himself.
E 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:46 pm

MJ23 wrote:
Many of the articles / commentary today list JD as being the difference in the two teams.

Has to hurt Lions a little bit that we were able to get him with their pick 5 for Beams.

Beams is a pretty darn good player himself so i'd say they probably consider it an even money thing. Also, no guarantee that they would have taken de Goey with pick 5 (maybe they would have taken LaVerde like EVERYONE on this board wanted us to take with pick 5). In fact, we only took him so that Darcy would be happy (they were mates in junior footy).

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 4:10 pm

JDG gets Collingwood Media INC player of the week—showed his 5 and the assist to Varcoe then later Stevo
jatsad 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:15 pm

Pies2016 wrote:
BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
K wrote:
jatsad wrote:
Why does Buckley have to be so obstinate and pig-headed?
Zorko has failed this year with a hard tag on him but Buckley refuses...
Adams would make a perfect tagger ...

Can someone confirm who actually did play on Zorko? The claim post-Mitchell was that they tried to mute him and failed.

To beat a contested ball winner like Zorko you need a player who can block his path and do it in such a way that the umpire doesn't blow his whistle. We don't have such a player since Crisp is playing behind the ball and Greenwood is injured. If Wills is fit he could be such a player to do it, but he may find himself behind the pecking order with Sier named as the emergency. If you don't have the players to do the job against a player like Zorko what's the coach supposed to do? Clubs have tried to tag Tom Mitchell. Clubs have tried run with players to stop Mitchell. If you concentrate too hard to negate the efforts of one player, another player pops up and destroys you. If you play a player like Treloar to play on Zorko you may lose the creative runs of Treloar down the forward line. Adams yesterday wasn't fit enough to take Zorko on but Adams was involved in two creative plays in the last quarter that resulted in goals. Do you give up the chance to create goals down one end of the ground in order to stop a player going down the other end and kicking goals? It's a balance you need to get right. The defenders didn't get it right yesterday either so why blame the mids for not being able to contain Zorko? Zorko wasn't the only Brisbane mid out there. Beams did a lot of damage too, especially that goal he kicked in the last quarter. Pendlebury not being out there harmed us. Be grateful for the win in front of a hostile crowd and a set of umpires who gave us nothing all day apart from the obvious frees.

To hard tag or not to hard tag is a whole new topic in itself and everything above is very valid.
The fundamental underlying reason why most coaches prefer not to hard tag is because it is effectively one less set of eyes fixed firmly on the football in the contest. The best way to get any gain from a hard tag is to play an extra number at the stoppage so as to offset that balance. That tactic in itself doesn’t suit a lot of coaches who may prefer to play the extra behind the ball ( particularly when protecting a score )

As BIFC says, it’s the ultimate balancing act. Most coaches are ego driven and conceding a tag to the opposition is also frowned upon simply because it suggests their structures won’t stand up unless we change our game plan to suit an individual ( that’s pure ego though )
Jacobs is easily the best in the business and he is a unique footballer. The reason he is the best at it is because he still racks up mid field numbers while he stops his opponent. That takes immense concentration, sacrifice, gut running and strength. There are very few going around who can justify that role in footy.
Zorko is a dual A A. Sometimes you just got to concede the guy once again did what he does best, play good footy more often than not.
Some on here seem very quick to bag the coaching staff everytime we lose, so I personally have no criticism of the “ no tag “ decision simply because we won the game.

I find it hard to agree.
Zorko was having a hard time with taggers so why not employ another hard tag to get into his head again. Jacobs and Shiels do it perfectly and still win their share of the ball. They don't need any assistance from "blockers" etc.
It's a mindset thing. Give a player a job and see if he can do it. We didn't do it with Mitchell and he smashed us. We didn't do it with Zorko and he nearly got them over the line.

We never did it with Mitchell and he always belted us.

The only 2 times I can think of off the top of my head was Sellwood and Cotchin, and bugger me they were ineffectual and we won comfortably. Yes, I know Greenwood did these jobs, but I can really see Adams doing it. He's better than Greeenwood and can be deployed elsewhere if required. Greenwood doesn't really have that ability.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:43 pm

^^^

I get the whole “ let’s tag this guy, let’s stop that guy “ philosophy.
What I’m saying is that tagging has a full domino effect on the teams structures and strategies. You can easily win the tag onnthe day and then find another reason why you lost the game. For every tag that works, one doesn’t.
Demons hard tagged Tom Mitchell, kept him really quiet and they still got smashed.
Goodwin chose to keep the extra ( s ) behind the ball and not up at the stoppage and the end result was that Shiels and Omeara got thirty possessions each and won nearly every clearance.

Personally, I have a different view on Collingwood and tagging. The Pies have a very good mid field and ruckman and I’m just not sure you want to activate a tag and change things around after six months of a preseason incorporating proactive set plays and match simulation.
The best way to beat a good player is to find the ball first, not have a tagger follow him into the contest.
Anyway, differing opinions are what make the world go around.

Last edited by Pies2016 on Mon May 07, 2018 7:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:22 pm

Slightly different point, not sure if anyone has raised this yet.

Our scoreline was 19 goals 7 behinds. (inc 1 rushed)

This time last year we would have given a testicle for goal kicking accuracy like that. In a season where many teams have the yips in front of goals, that's something else we've improved big time.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:31 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Slightly different point, not sure if anyone has raised this yet.

Our scoreline was 19 goals 7 behinds. (inc 1 rushed)

This time last year we would have given a testicle for goal kicking accuracy like that. In a season where many teams have the yips in front of goals, that's something else we've improved big time.

Good point. Our accuracy has improved big time this season. Everything has.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:32 pm

Our kicking in general for goal has been pretty good
R 1. 9. 13
R 2. 12.7
R 3. 16.4
R 4. 16.10
R 5. 14.17
R 6. 10.10
R 7. 18. 6

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 7:51 pm

I'm a longstanding supporter of Bucks and am convinced he'll deliver us another Premiership very soon. However, I wish he was a little more positive in his post match comments, particularly in regards to a kid like De Goey, who was battered from pillar to post pre-season. In his post match summary, it seemed like Bucks didn't want to say Jordy played a great game. Obviously none of us know what is said privately between player and coach, but in the public arena, players should be acknowledged when they play a great game imo. But that's just me I guess. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 11 of 14   

Jump to: