Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pip Lions - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
foreigner Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

RudeBoy wrote:
AN_Inkling wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
I'm a longstanding supporter of Bucks and am convinced he'll deliver us another Premiership very soon. However, I wish he was a little more positive in his post match comments, particularly in regards to a kid like De Goey, who was battered from pillar to post pre-season. In his post match summary, it seemed like Bucks didn't want to say Jordy played a great game. Obviously none of us know what is said privately between player and coach, but in the public arena, players should be acknowledged when they play a great game imo. But that's just me I guess. Confused

From worst on field (or close enough to) to best on field (or close enough to) the week after. I'd not be getting too carried away either.

I'm just not into mind games. I think it damages trust. When a player has won the game with 5 goal haul like Jordy did, he should be publicly applauded. When he plays a shit game like last week, he should be privately told to lift his game. That's not getting carried away, that's telling it like it is.

Do you think it's hard for him to applaud someone publicly? I haven't heard him ever say he's proud of the team - he always looks at the glass half empty argument. Maybe the perfectionist in him still works in his subconscious.

I agree with you, he should be more forthcoming in public praising good effort and contributions irrespective of what happens or not happens privately.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:37 pm

dalyc wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
dalyc wrote:
I watched the replay today after reading some of the comments about the bias of the commentators. Well, what a bunch of sooks we’ve got masquerading as Pies supporters. I thought the call was mostly even handed though there was an understandable empathy at the end for a team that had fought very hard and probably don’t deserve to be 0-7.

You weren't watching the game live then? Rolling Eyes If that is the case, I question whether you are in a position to call some of us sooks masquerading as Collingwood supporters.
When the game is live and you are on the edge of your set, NOT knowing the eventual outcome (as you apparently had the luxury of when you watched it) and you are indeed a dedicated Pies supporter, the emotion of the moment is intense. Have you ever experienced this??

If, while all this is happening, you have a commentator who is excitedly and continually talking up the efforts of your opposition, any person not made of stone would be inclined to get pissed off with that commentator, when they are meant to be giving an unbiased description of the game.

I went to the Gabba to see it live.

And did you have the Fox Footy broadcast plugged into your ear while you were watching? If not, then you did not have the same experience as those of us watching on tv, which to my mind, makes you ineligible to pass judgments on whether we are sooks and only masquerading as supporters.
(What a weird connection to make anyway. How does getting irritated with a commentator mean that someone is not a genuine supporter of their team??? I would think that, if anything, it indicates the opposite.)

Last edited by PyreneesPie on Mon May 07, 2018 10:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:43 pm

I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but that handball by JDG at the end was brilliant. He purposefully handballed the ball on it's end, so that it can roll on and bounce perfectly into the path of Stevo.
He did a similarly brilliant handball last year to put Pendles in for the sealer against Hawks.

The kid is good in traffic, and this kind of stuff never comes up on stats sheats. This is the kind of skill execution that wins you games.
dalyc Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:46 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
dalyc wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
dalyc wrote:
I watched the replay today after reading some of the comments about the bias of the commentators. Well, what a bunch of sooks we’ve got masquerading as Pies supporters. I thought the call was mostly even handed though there was an understandable empathy at the end for a team that had fought very hard and probably don’t deserve to be 0-7.

You weren't watching the game live then? Rolling Eyes If that is the case, I question whether you are in a position to call some of us sooks masquerading as Collingwood supporters.
When the game is live and you are on the edge of your set, NOT knowing the eventual outcome (as you apparently had the luxury of when you watched it) and you are indeed a dedicated Pies supporter, the emotion of the moment is intense. Have you ever experienced this??

If, while all this is happening, you have a commentator who is excitedly and continually talking up the efforts of your opposition, any person not made of stone would be inclined to get pissed off with that commentator, when they are meant to be giving an unbiased description of the game.

I went to the Gabba to see it live.

And did you have the Fox Footy broadcast plugged into your ear while you were watching? It seems not.

It’s ok mate. If you’ve got the fortitude of an over-ripe tomato and can’t handle commentary turn it down, turn it off, idgaf. But leave your sooky la la’s for your Mummy. She’ll give you a kiss and keep them bad men away.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 10:52 pm

bally12 wrote:
I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but that handball by JDG at the end was brilliant. He purposefully handballed the ball on it's end, so that it can roll on and bounce perfectly into the path of Stevo.
He did a similarly brilliant handball last year to put Pendles in for the sealer against Hawks.

The kid is good in traffic, and this kind of stuff never comes up on stats sheats. This is the kind of skill execution that wins you games.

Yeah, I noticed that on AFL 360 tonight. They showed a different angle of the handball to all previous replays and I immediately thought how skilful it was.

Another highlight that deserves mentioning was Jeremy Howe's tackle on the Brisbane player as he went to kick towards goal, resulting in it being kicked out on the full.
Then, it was Murray with the resulting free kick, to Coxy, to Phillips, to de/De Goey, to Stephenson. A magical piece of play.
E 

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 11:27 pm

bally12 wrote:

ever since his rookie year, it has been obvious that possessions in which he is involved are much more likely to end in goals than other possessions, precisely for this reason.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:13 am

The other thing that deserves mention is Blair's repeated, brilliant defensive efforts in the last quarter. Without him , we would have lost.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:46 am

yes, he certainly didn't disgrace himself Wink
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:16 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
The other thing that deserves mention is Blair's repeated, brilliant defensive efforts in the last quarter. Without him , we would have lost.

His final clearance out of the centre, with a long perfectly weighted handball, was the catalyst for us getting our last goal and winning the game. Well done Bilbo.
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:40 pm

My family and I finally got to a game to see it live and had a great time. Looking through your discussions I think we're all on the money. DeGoey was great Moore underdone, Mayne showed something, Cox was fab.
One thing on Blair - I like him and he showed why he is always in the mix every other week. I think one of the reasons he gets a bad wrap is because he make leads in the forward 50 that we want someone with 6 or 7 inches more to make. I could be wrong, but I think if the inside 50 is congested he should be standing 40 out with his back to the kicker looking for the crumb or defensive play - otherwise he is leading into precious space that should be open for someone taller. I expect its a coaching strategy that might be corrected but he is just too easy to spoil in that situation. Otherwise it was a fabulous game for Blairy, a hard workman like effort.

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:55 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
I get the impression Bucks either doesn’t like JDG or he doesn’t want to pump his tyres up.

He was a match winner, could’ve had 7 goals, and his response after being asked about his game was something along the lines of “He was poor last week...” Seriously, give him some credit FFS. I’m sure there’s a few defensive breakdowns he’s not happy about, the same reason he won’t pick Fasolo. But you put up with that when a player can kick 5.

I disagree; Jordan strikes me as the kind of kid who needs a metaphorical boot up his arse for at least the next 30 games.

Either way, I'd trust the coach to know the best approach

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:13 pm

glasseyevfx wrote:
My family and I finally got to a game to see it live and had a great time. Looking through your discussions I think we're all on the money. DeGoey was great Moore underdone, Mayne showed something, Cox was fab.
One thing on Blair - I like him and he showed why he is always in the mix every other week. I think one of the reasons he gets a bad wrap is because he make leads in the forward 50 that we want someone with 6 or 7 inches more to make. I could be wrong, but I think if the inside 50 is congested he should be standing 40 out with his back to the kicker looking for the crumb or defensive play - otherwise he is leading into precious space that should be open for someone taller. I expect its a coaching strategy that might be corrected but he is just too easy to spoil in that situation. Otherwise it was a fabulous game for Blairy, a hard workman like effort.

Many on this site have been saying this for years; he's leading when he should be front-n-centre.

I guess we will never know if its a coaching directive or not, but its happened consistently for several years

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:10 am

In 2011 or 12 wasn't Blairy leading the Coleman after 5 rounds! Cloke was monstering every backman in the game and we were kings of the defensive pressure. I remember Jarrod was in everything and kicking them from anywhere inside 50. They were more open forward lines then. I can see were Buckley is going now with Stevo and Hoskin-Elliot. More men around ball, pressure in the centre and guys that can run through the opposition's defensive zone. Unfortunately Blairy does't have the wheels for that but played well as a link man - outside mid.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:49 am

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
yes, he certainly didn't disgrace himself Wink

Touche. Wink
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:53 am

Perhaps I'm just expressing my own concern about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 13 of 14   

Jump to: