Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Operation: LYNCHPIN (get it...?)

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mattdally 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:40 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I think Lynch would be a great acquisition for us, I wouldn't necessarily throw the kitchen sink at him.

I'd be comfortable if we made him a decent offer and then walked away if he said no.

He would be an ideal replacement for Reid and allow Moore to play down back.
Not sure what sort of forward pressure he applies but with good delivery and fast ball movement (which we have been good at this season) he could kick 75 in a season
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 11:33 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:
Forget Lynch if he leaves the Suns he will be at the Hawks.
He's great mates with O'Meara and the Hawks are into him in a big way and have more cap space than us or Tigers do to land him.
Rance on the couch basically said he thought he would stuff up the Tigers forward line he didn't fit into there high pressure style.
At the moment my mail is he's more likely to stay at the Suns than he is to leave because the money on offer with the ambassador allowance from the afl will be much to large for him to walk away from. There's talk it would land him in the close to $2m a season ball park which no club in Melbourne will be able to get near.
He would have to sacrifice around $700k a season for around 6 seasons
Who would walk away from $4m ?

Yeah. I think Richmond have gone cold on the idea of getting Lynch. It comes down basically to us, Hawthorn or Geelong, who all fall into the window space of competing for a premiership in the next few years and have the salary space to accommodate Lynch. If Lynch leaves though, it won't be for the money because he will earn more staying where he is. If GC improves that's more reason for Lynch to stay.

Lynch is ours, enough said Cool
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:04 pm

Let's not forget that Lynch is a restricted free agent and already earning over $1 mil per season. We'd have to offer him a metric shitpile that the Suns couldn't match to get him, or do a trade with the suns and give away picks and players. Neither of those options make me happy, he's just not worth it..

There's some very good talls in this years draft, inc Neds boy we can take FS.

Lets take Kelly and draft a couple of talls.

Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:46 pm

The restricted free agent thing will be interesting if he leaves, the contract will trigger band 1 compensation which will be a pick after their own first. Assuming they finish bottom 3, this gives them 2 of the top 4 picks in the (so called) super draft.... Would they match a bid and force a trade that wouldn't give them as good a haul?

Assume we finish 8th, our first pick this year and next would not be as good as a pick 4 this year... Even a 1st and a player wouldn't be as good.

I doubt very much the Suns would match.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:29 pm

PyreneesPie wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Rance on the couch basically said he thought he would stuff up the Tigers forward line he didn't fit into there high pressure style.

That was an interesting segment - Rance trying to politely say that he didn't think Richmond really needed Lynch. Laughing

Reckon a subtle impolite way of saying “I WANT MORE $$”

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:31 pm

I cant say I’ve even seen enough of this guy to have an opinion on his worth but the likes of $1.2 mill a year seems overs. The way we play, a big full forward shouldn’t be at the top of our list. Darcy Moore will ultimately be our big Key forward. Any time Spent in the backline is purely temporary and designed to improve his forward play in the long term. The guy is a natural forward and he’ll be a bloody good one.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 6:45 pm

Damien wrote:
I cant say I’ve even seen enough of this guy to have an opinion on his worth but the likes of $1.2 mill a year seems overs. The way we play, a big full forward shouldn’t be at the top of our list. Darcy Moore will ultimately be our big Key forward. Any time Spent in the backline is purely temporary and designed to improve his forward play in the long term. The guy is a natural forward and he’ll be a bloody good one.

I may see it differently as I don't see Darcy becoming a key forward. If he is to do so he will have to bulk up considerably and that may have an adverse result as far as agility, speed and endurance goes. I see his value as being very tall and very mobile for such a height. I see him performing a Nick Riewoldt type role, which is a bit different to the typical type of big key forward.
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Like stated above if Gold Coast were to finish in the bottom 3 in a "super" draft year and all of the suitors for Lynch (Richmond, Collingwood, Hawthorn) were to make finals then their is a very real possibility Gold Coast wouldn't force a trade and would accept the compensation.

Obtaining Lynch under this circumstance if it occurred would be very very enticing.

Of course he would come with a whopping price tag and this is where you would have to seriously weigh up the impact it would have on your salary cap and your ability to satisfy the contract demands of other important cogs in the team.

Is Lynch overrated?

Perhaps though most of us I expect haven't see enough of him play to make any real informed decision.

I do know he has spent a career playing for a poor side and his progress tracks along the lines of quality key forwards of recent past.

He kicked a career high 66 goals in 2016.

I don't believe Lynch is excess to our needs in terms of the position he plays as Dunn and Reid are nearing the end and the true value of Moore, McLarty and Cox is still unknown.

Acquiring Lynch would certainly give us a proven key forward option and allow Moore and/or McLarty to be developed in defence.

Is Lynch overrated at the price?

With how the game is evolving at present you'd have to say yes and you have to wonder if shelling out well over 1 million a season on a key forward represents value for money unless you believe you are on the brink of a premiership and he'd prove the difference.

Ultimately with our improved performance this season, the current state of how the game is being played and the club comfortable with the development of Moore, McLarty, Scharenberg and Cox it wouldn't surprise if we targeted another type or one that costs far less.

Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:46 pm

Good analysis Swoop. GC will probably match any offer so it won’t come down to a money decision for this lad. If he sees a flag opportunity somewhere that’s where he might go and that could be us. If he’s after dollars he’ll probably stay where he is.
themonk 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 8:55 pm

Damien wrote:
Good analysis Swoop. GC will probably match any offer so it won’t come down to a money decision for this lad. If he sees a flag opportunity somewhere that’s where he might go and that could be us. If he’s after dollars he’ll probably stay where he is.

I believe swoop is suggesting they'll not match the offer Rolling Eyes
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:50 pm

themonk wrote:
Damien wrote:

I believe swoop is suggesting they'll not match the offer Rolling Eyes

True. I was More Concurring to his comments about whether or not we need him.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 9:50 pm

These days, a KPF has to churn out 15ks on his GPS ahead of making an impact on the scoreboard. I’m just not sure the way the game is headed, that Lynch is the type to be paying overs for.
They get so far up the ground in team support, it’s hard for these big blokes to get back and make an impact on the scoreboard.

The protype seems to be the “ second CHF type “ and that’s where I would be investing overs. Even if they can’t make an impact in the forward line, they get up the ground and make a difference around mid field. Guns like Bont, Martin, Danger, Fyfe and potentially DeGoey.

I don’t think our forward line is that far off the mark as it is.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:39 pm

stui magpie wrote:
Let's not forget that Lynch is a restricted free agent and already earning over $1 mil per season. We'd have to offer him a metric shitpile that the Suns couldn't match to get him, or do a trade with the suns and give away picks and players. Neither of those options make me happy, he's just not worth it..

There's some very good talls in this years draft, inc Neds boy we can take FS.

Lets take Kelly and draft a couple of talls.

Agree. His Asking Price is Very High and Have to sell at least some of the Farm to get him and you might even go backwards doing that again.

Especially with us having 1 1st Round Pick in 3 Years because of the Treloar Trade

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 10:42 pm

Damien wrote:

The AFL Will make sure they will Match any Offer from Oppostion Club to Force a Trade for Lynch

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 5:46 pm

stui magpie wrote:

If he wants to play here for money, then it's a no. Sure he deserves what he deserves, but I want him to play for team success.

It's no secret that we are desperate for KPP forwards and backs. But do we want Lynch or should we look to the draft and focus on a cheaper free agent?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 2 of 30   

Jump to: