Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Chris Mayne best game for club

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:31 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

K wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
foreigner wrote:
Does that include KOing Tom Phillips with concussion?

Huh ? It was a confused event but it happened near us and it looked like the cat’s tackle, not Mayne.

http://www.afl.com.au/video/2018-05-13/phillips-kod-after-remarkable-goal

Video shows Mayne knee to back of head.

Thanks Mugwump for that heads up. Sorry, but I remain convinced that it was the tackle that knocked him out. I can't see Mayne's leg directly connecting with his head. Slowed the video down again and again and I can't clearly see that it actually connected, nor any resulting recoil of Mayne's leg. Maybe, it's just my eyesight Wink

Regardless, let's just assume for now that the tackle caused Phillip's head to thump into the ground without any assistance from Mayne. In theory, is that an illegal tackle/dangerous tackle?

Last edited by PyreneesPie on Mon May 14, 2018 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
K 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:36 am

PP, I think you may have stopped reading too soon (see below).
I think the footage exonerates ZT. (It's not the foot; it's the knee that does the damage.) Otherwise, yes, it would be examined by MC.

K wrote:
Look at the camera angle shown between 0:52 and 0:53. Go full screen & perhaps pause it too.
Mayne's knee made contact, but it's clear in only one shot from one angle. (Very clear, I'd say, but you have to see the exact moment . The view is blocked in all other shots.) Mayne's leg actually recoils from the contact.

Update: it's probably much easier to see in
https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/995556988003139585
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 12:47 am

Ah yes. I see it with the twitter vision very clearly. Thanks K and thanks for answering my question. The Geelong player is very, very fortunate then .... unfortunately!!!
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:50 am

Pies2016 wrote:
25 disposals at 72%. Good spread of both contested and uncontested.
9 tackles
I’m not sure what more an ordinary player can do on the day.
Still, without Blair in the team, he was always going to be a prime scapegoat after the loss.

Thing is though, he supposed to be more than an ordinary player. I don’t think he’s a scapegoat at all today. In fact I haven’t seen the loss hung on any one player in any thread. Everyone acknowledges it was his best game for us, but that doesn’t mean that much, take Pendles as an example, his worst game could still be the best game ever for a lot of players. It’s all relevant.

If you buy yourself a sports car, and it drives like a family station wagon, you don’t think ah well it’s a good family station wagon!

the knee thing is a bad luck accident. Damn shame TBH but when we picked him up docker fans were probably right. Bloody nice honest guy, puts his head down and tries bloody hard all game. Pretty much what can be said about Blair, but with a much higher price tag.

The team looks like they need a bye TBH, really lacked the intense desperation in defence, in attacking loose balls, that we have been seeing. Maybe it really is too hard to play three games in was it 12 days?

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:44 am

think positive wrote:
Pies2016 wrote:
25 disposals at 72%. Good spread of both contested and uncontested.
9 tackles
I’m not sure what more an ordinary player can do on the day.
Still, without Blair in the team, he was always going to be a prime scapegoat after the loss.

Thing is though, he supposed to be more than an ordinary player. I don’t think he’s a scapegoat at all today. In fact I haven’t seen the loss hung on any one player in any thread. Everyone acknowledges it was his best game for us, but that doesn’t mean that much, take Pendles as an example, his worst game could still be the best game ever for a lot of players. It’s all relevant.

If you buy yourself a sports car, and it drives like a family station wagon, you don’t think ah well it’s a good family station wagon!

the knee thing is a bad luck accident. Damn shame TBH but when we picked him up docker fans were probably right. Bloody nice honest guy, puts his head down and tries bloody hard all game. Pretty much what can be said about Blair, but with a much higher price tag.

The team looks like they need a bye TBH, really lacked the intense desperation in defence, in attacking loose balls, that we have been seeing. Maybe it really is too hard to play three games in was it 12 days?

I think the first part of your post is the crux of the whole Chris Mayne angst.
For the money he is on, we expected more. Chris Mayne over the last three years of his career, has been an average to ordinary footballer at best.’
The club is responsible for the contract that was put before him, not Chris Mayne for accepting it.
In fairness to Mayne, after a horrendous 2017, he at least came back, worked hard and has seemingly re invented himself in a different role. He could have sat back and counted his money but he had at least enough pride in his performance to have a crack. The thread could probably be titled “ Chris Mayne, best game in three years “

As for scapegoat or not, thats open to interpretation but there are already a few who have him out of the side in the Saints pre match thread.
That won’t happen.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:49 am

Pies2016 wrote:

Ain’t that the truth...

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:56 am

swoop42 wrote:
jatsad wrote:
How many of those 26 were to our advantage ?

Not many.

25 possessions but only 154 metres gained. That's the killer and half of what Adams achieved with similar numbers.

I dare say the slow and congested style of game today suited the only pace that Mayne can muster out on the field these days.

Not our worst today but I still prefer others.

Our past party boy Seedsman who Bux wanted to get rid of shows what is needed to have a real impact.
This from AFL
It’s something the former Magpie has done with great effect, currently ranked second in the AFL for metres gained at an average of 664.8m per game.
metres gained mean impact, metres sideways or backwards mean not much.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:20 am

Hard to fault Mayne yesterday. It was clearly his best game for us. I liken him to Blair (not in the skapegoat stakes), in that he will give you his all every game. He got a bit of the ball but gave it to players in worse position or under more pressure than he was.

He hasn't had a decent run in the seniors yet so some of his decisions could be put down to unfamiliarity, but still, from a player with his experience, I would expect better. But all the boys were guilty of it at some point yesterday so it's tough to single Mayne out.

He's slow, yes, but he gives effort. In a zoned game where the ball was moving slowly, his pace wasn't exposed so much. Could be a horses for course selection of a reasonable depth player (given all those on the sidelines).
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 1:55 pm

Boogie Knights wrote:
Hard to fault Mayne yesterday. It was clearly his best game for us. I liken him to Blair (not in the skapegoat stakes), in that he will give you his all every game. He got a bit of the ball but gave it to players in worse position or under more pressure than he was.

He hasn't had a decent run in the seniors yet so some of his decisions could be put down to unfamiliarity, but still, from a player with his experience, I would expect better. But all the boys were guilty of it at some point yesterday so it's tough to single Mayne out.

He's slow, yes, but he gives effort. In a zoned game where the ball was moving slowly, his pace wasn't exposed so much. Could be a horses for course selection of a reasonable depth player (given all those on the sidelines).

He is a very ordinary player. We should not be selecting very ordinary players, especially one's late in their careers.
inxs88 

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 2:31 pm

He seems to have taken Aish’s spot on the wing and is benefiting from the freedom of being to run up and back. He isn’t Daicos so expectations need managing. Additionally he has played 7-8 games for us so should be afforded more scope than Blair’s whose trajectory has been in sharp decline for years.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:34 pm

inxs88 wrote:
He seems to have taken Aish’s spot on the wing and is benefiting from the freedom of being to run up and back. He isn’t Daicos so expectations need managing. Additionally he has played 7-8 games for us so should be afforded more scope than Blair’s whose trajectory has been in sharp decline for years.

except that Mayne wage for a year has paid blairs for at least 2!
seriously hes been here for 2 and a bit years on $400,000 and you think 8 games is ok? the mind boggles

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:35 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Boogie Knights wrote:

He is a very ordinary player. We should not be selecting very ordinary players, especially one's late in their careers.

exactly, especially when we have players like Sier champing at the bit

SwansWay 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:27 am

He's improved with each senior game. Maybe see what he can do once he strings a few games together. I mean with our injury list, we might need him now.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:51 am

Can't argue that it wasn't his best game for the club. Therein lays the problem.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:14 pm

FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Can't argue that it wasn't his best game for the club. Therein lays the problem.

Well, if he backs it up in the next few weeks, does the problem go away ?

If he can put together a body of work like last week, he’s worth the cash. I’m just pleased to see that we are starting to get some payback.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6   

Jump to: