Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Chris Mayne best game for club

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwansWay 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:24 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Can't argue that it wasn't his best game for the club. Therein lays the problem.

Well, if he backs it up in the next few weeks, does the problem go away ?

If he can put together a body of work like last week, he’s worth the cash. I’m just pleased to see that we are starting to get some payback.

It's bizarre logic when you think about it. Last week was his best game but his best isn't good enough is the basic argument. So who says that it's the best he'll ever get? It's not like one game proves he's hit a ceiling. That's just his best so far. They may be right but only time and games will tell. You know there's an agenda when a guy who gets 26 disposals and 9 tackles still has people calling for his head. Blair wasn't as maligned after getting 10 disposals for the better part of 8 seasons. Mayne has had 6 games.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Mugwump wrote:
FrankieGoesToCollingwood wrote:
Can't argue that it wasn't his best game for the club. Therein lays the problem.

Well, if he backs it up in the next few weeks, does the problem go away ?

If he can put together a body of work like last week, he’s worth the cash. I’m just pleased to see that we are starting to get some payback.

Maybe, I'm just not sure his best is still good enough if we have a full compliment (and that has nothing to do with the cash he's on). I'll concede that he may be handy but that's as far as I'm willing to go at this stage.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:35 pm

Mayne reached his ceiling years back.

It'll be all down hill from here on out and I say again the game against Geelong suited him perfectly because Geelong are looking to play a very slow brand of football which Buckley commented on.

While he was serviceable he still looked very slow at times to me and this was in a congested slow game of football.

Prefer others.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 4:43 pm

swoop42 wrote:

It'll be all down hill from here on out and I say again the game against Geelong suited him perfectly because Geelong are looking to play a very slow brand of football which Buckley commented on.

While he was serviceable he still looked very slow at times to me and this was in a congested slow game of football.

Prefer others.

exactly right!

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 7:45 pm

swoop42 wrote:

Prefer others.

This. Cool
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 5:51 pm

Just because Mayne was good against a side that plays possession football and slows the game down, doesn't mean that Mayne can't make the adjustment to teams that are faster at the transition like St Kilda. I'm expecting Mayne to play well on St Kilda. In fact I'm confident is saying Mayne was better than some other Collingwood players against Geelong, not because of the slowdown in play, but rather because his stronger body was able to stand up against the pressure of Geelong. Guys like Crocker and Brown were out of their league against Geelong's bigger bodies (Stephenson only stood up because he is a freak).
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:55 am

I’m not posting just to rehash Maynes onfield contributions ( or not )
This bump is more about his efforts to reinvent himself as a half decent footballer. His first year at Collingwood was putrid and I reckon he would be the first to admit it.
His response was to come back for the 2018 pre season and be the best he could possibly be. He has come back with a new mindset, had to learn a new position in a new team and is now reaping the rewards.
Will always be an average footballer at best but in life, history shows it’s always a lot harder to rise up again, than it is to continue to fall.
Respect.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:00 pm

I was about to post a new topic on Mayne and this thread got bumped.
Anyway I was interested to know about his position on the wing.
Highly unusual to have a slow player there. I wondered whether he played this position at fremantle and what was the rationale for playing him as a mid.
Seems to have worked out ok to this stage. Thinking it maybe about his tackling or/and is it to free up his mind because he doesnt have pressure on him to kick goals every week.
Someone may give a better analysis than mine.
lanstro 

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:06 pm

Ten years ago, we recruited another slow player join us towards the end of his pretty average career. What did we call him? Hack. Past his Prime. Slow. Spud. List clogger. Didn't do a whole lot in his first year with us either.

But you know what, he gave 100%, and played exactly how his coach wanted him to play. Strung some decent games together, and earned our respect one game at a time. Two years later, he was an integral part of our premiership machine, and I'm sure everyone in black and white remembers him fondly.

Now I'm not saying Mayne is going to revolutionalise an entire position and have other teams look for their own version of him, or kick 4 goals in a gamewinning effort in a close game, or chase down a speedster like Daniel Cross. But he's putting in a full effort and stringing some decent games together. Give the guy a chance and who knows where it might lead.
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:20 pm

Hard to say his first season with us was putrid. He never really got a chance. Who knows how he mighta gone. Obviously didn’t push hard enough to get a game and maybe his attitude lacked. Anyway with our injury toll he’s been very handy.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:50 pm

lanstro wrote:
Ten years ago, we recruited another slow player join us towards the end of his pretty average career. What did we call him? Hack. Past his Prime. Slow. Spud. List clogger. Didn't do a whole lot in his first year with us either.

But you know what, he gave 100%, and played exactly how his coach wanted him to play. Strung some decent games together, and earned our respect one game at a time. Two years later, he was an integral part of our premiership machine, and I'm sure everyone in black and white remembers him fondly.

Now I'm not saying Mayne is going to revolutionalise an entire position and have other teams look for their own version of him, or kick 4 goals in a gamewinning effort in a close game, or chase down a speedster like Daniel Cross. But he's putting in a full effort and stringing some decent games together. Give the guy a chance and who knows where it might lead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwPRm5UMe1A

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:16 pm

Mayne is again proving to be what he always has been, a solid AFL level player.

The ridiculous over reaction and fictionalising (we don't know what he's being paid) over his signing has been way over the top.

What we're seeing from him is what I had expected last year. I thought he should have been given more opportunity in 2017, not sure why that didn't happen. This season he's showing he's our best option as a defensive medium forward, well ahead of Crocker.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:55 pm

For a bloke consigned to the VFL for the majority of 2017; that was a long time in exile.

Earning his keep now. That would have been an epic grab had he hauled it in...

Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:08 pm

Was good tonight.

In the bests.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:17 pm

Yeah. Thought he played well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6   

Jump to: