Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Union bashing legal case v CFMEU fails bigtime:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:09 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

John, don't let those middle-class, chardonnay-sipping, pearl-clutching, virtue-signalling tossers tear you down. They've ruined the party, now they're trying to destroy you. Remember, dare to struggle, dare to win.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:33 pm

You wonder how Latham ever managed to be Labor leader, and then remember that old-school head-kickers like Setka are still in positions of power. Seems like a bit of a throwback to a different era, and maybe his type was needed back then, but not exactly the best advertisement for unions in 2019.
Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:45 pm

I'm a member of my union the ANMF - we wouldn't have achieved so many things to improve patient care especially mandated ratios without our union.

Our health service recently built a new facility, it was a CMFEU site - I was amazed at what they contributed to the local community especially schools and services for the underprivileged - they have a really strong comitement to social improvement and equality - I learnt a shipload about them that the media don't portray!!

I'm sure there a few " less than desirable" individuals in the mix - but then you look at politicians - Exhibit A Barnaby and Dutton and the shite and bullying and crap attitudes that so may " leaders" and " excs" dish out and well.......
thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:11 am

David wrote:
You wonder how Latham ever managed to be Labor leader, and then remember that old-school head-kickers like Setka are still in positions of power. Seems like a bit of a throwback to a different era, and maybe his type was needed back then, but not exactly the best advertisement for unions in 2019.

Have you ever considered that blokes like Setka look and act like thugs because of the industry they are in?

So a bunch of steelies and concretors arrive on site. Each one is built like a brick shithouse and they work for a company that may, or may not be, linked to a "colourful" business identity from the Italian community. Do you think they'll give a toss about work safety rules if they see Sally McManus or Anthony Albanese standing at the gates? They will if they see Setka.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:59 pm

^

yeah there's a little bit of difference between the CHMMEU and the ANMF and the members and industry they service.

However, women now make up the majority of union members, thanks largely to Nurses and Setka is not the look that the Unions want as their public face

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:31 pm

Lil Johnny is hanging on and creating some rifts.

Sally wants him gone, as do several white collar unions whereas the blue collar unions are backing him, for now.

Albo's threat to boot him from the ALP just took a hip pocket nerve hit with the CFMMEU Vic branch threatening to cut financial support to Labor .

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-06-17/cfmeu-victoria-branch-threatens-to-cut-financial-support-to-alp/11218344

Quote:
Over the weekend, the Australian Workers Union and the national branch of the Community and Public Sector Union called or Mr Setka to quit, bringing to 12 the total number of large unions siding with ACTU secretary Sally McManus.

A meeting of the Victorian Trades Hall, the state’s peak union body, in Melbourne on Friday ended in deadlock as the unions present at the gathering were split over whether Mr Setka should stay or go, with the influential "blue collar" unions speaking up in his favour.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/setka-threatens-albanese-with-legal-challenge-20190617-p51yf8.html

Sco Mo just put Setka on his Christmas card list.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:15 pm

^ well I reckon the CMFEU members get to decide who their leader is - their union, they pay their dues and they get to vote - so if the members want him then he stays simple as!!

Other unions, McManus, pollies and the media can mind their beeswax - not their union not their call.

BTW when was Batty canonised - must of missed it Rolling Eyes
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:31 pm

^

i'm surprised you missed the canonisation, it was public a few years back and anyone who dares to speak against her is cast down.

Setka will stay as long as his members want him, and that's his and his members call, but there's a reason why Albo and all the white collar unions are running a mile from him. he's the face of old unionism, not what they want to sell to those they want to sign up and not what Albo wants.

For Sco Mo it's a free kick 10m out directly in front.

Morrigu Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:49 pm

^ yep get all that but for me ..........

https://www.smh.com.au/national/attack-on-john-setka-smells-like-what-happened-to-me-20190614-p51xt6.html

Irene did more for nursing than those before and those who followed her and yes I was around and was a bedside nurse during this - went on strike then donned the civies as a volunteer to make sure patient care wasn't compromised!

Unions first and foremost are there for their members - or should be!!!!!
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:10 pm

Should be, but most aren't any more and haven't been for a long time. For most, the members are the financial contributors they need to stay afloat and get power within the ACTU and Labor party. They're the revenue stream for a political business. The more members, the more power and influence.

Bolger was an interesting unit no doubt and hasn't moderated her views as she's got older, funny I agree with a lot of what she says in that article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3   

Jump to: