Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Union bashing legal case v CFMEU fails bigtime:

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 12:44 pm
Post subject: Union bashing legal case v CFMEU fails bigtime:Reply with quote

Apologies from the Herald Sun are soon to follow:

Prosecutors have agreed to drop blackmail charges against militant Victorian construction union boss John Setka and his deputy, Shaun Reardon in a major blow to the Coalition's battle against the union.

On Tuesday afternoon, prosecutors agreed to withdraw the blackmail charges that Mr Setka and Mr Reardon have faced, in a backdown raising serious questions about the decision to charge the two men.

The move also calls into question the credibility of the royal commission, called by then prime minister Tony Abbott in 2014.

The decision of the Director of Public Prosecutions and police to withdraw the charges, announced on Wednesday morning, was partly based on the performance of two witnesses from construction company Boral during sustained cross-examination in a committal hearing that has been running for several days.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/charges-against-cfmeu-pair-dropped-in-blackmail-case-20180516-p4zfks.html

I think I said some time ago that the Mad Monks Royal Commission into unions which not unlike himself was purely vindictive against his political opponents.

That Royal Commission cost millions to basically find that people swear at each other on building sites.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

The CFMEU are a pack of bullying thugs. Blackmail, intimidation and threats are all part of their repertoire.

That they weren't found guilty this time doesn't change any of that.

Quote:
The decision of the Director of Public Prosecutions and police to withdraw the charges, announced on Wednesday morning, was partly based on the performance of two witnesses from construction company Boral during sustained cross-examination in a committal hearing that has been running for several days.

No surprise that the Boral executives want to avoid being on the CFMEU shitlist with Grocon. Rolling Eyes

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:03 pm

stui magpie wrote:
The CFMEU are a pack of bullying thugs. Blackmail, intimidation and threats are all part of their repertoire.

Quote:

No surprise that the Boral executives want to avoid being on the CFMEU shitlist with Grocon. Rolling Eyes

It's OK to admit you were wrong about Unions. How much money was wasted on this witch-hunt exactly? That money could have gone to disadvantaged financial advisors; you know, the ones who Josh Frydenberg was cutting red tape for, on behalf of the Mad Mysoginist Monk. Then again the money could have gone to disadvantaged Banking directors.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:23 pm

Why not disadvantaged lawyers - or, frankly, advantaged ones? If you give money to people with good taste and a sense of style, at least you can trust them to spend it wisely.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:56 pm

stui magpie wrote:

Quote:

Yes, if you start with wrong premise, ie that the unwillingness of Boral employees to testify against the notoriously thuggish CFMEU means that the CFMEU are a law-abiding contribution to civil society .... you get the wrong conclusion.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:26 pm

Mugwump wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Quote:

Yes, if you start with wrong premise, ie that the unwillingness of Boral employees to testify against the notoriously thuggish CFMEU means that the CFMEU are a law-abiding contribution to civil society .... you get the wrong conclusion.

There you go: this might help inform your ironic response

".....Hard evidence has yet to emerge that this did indeed infect the decision to pursue Setka and Reardon, but the collapse of the case has left it wide open for the pair to claim it has. Well placed sources from all sides are pointing the finger at Boral, its law firm Freehills and an overzealous royal commissioner. Prosecutors and the union's lawyers were flummoxed by the way both Boral and Freehills handled aspects of the case and the abject performance of Boral's witnesses. The urging of Dyson Heydon to charge Setka with blackmail now looks flaky, at best...."

"...many big building firms also supported these same labour hire operators, welcoming the ability to source cheaper labour. They mostly copped zero scrutiny. Despite a royal commission and millions of dollars spent on investigations, exploitative practices still infect the construction industry..."

https://www.theage.com.au/business/workplace/union-boss-john-setka-gifted-the-high-moral-ground-20180516-p4zfpv.html

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 9:45 pm

^ not really, no. What point did you think it made ?

A victory for the CFMEU is not a victory for decency in industrial relations (or for the union movement) on any level. Exult in it if you like, but in doing so you are barracking for a violent and disturbing organisation. Your enemys enemy is not always your friend.

Last edited by Mugwump on Thu May 17, 2018 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:17 pm

watt price tully wrote:

It's OK to admit you were wrong about Unions.

You're correct. I'm waiting for you to do it.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 11:19 pm

"it" being [quote] You're correct?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:48 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Why not disadvantaged lawyers - or, frankly, advantaged ones? If you give money to people with good taste and a sense of style, at least you can trust them to spend it wisely.

Could be my youngest in 3 years time: she's doing the Post Grad Juris Dr fulltime at Monash in the CBD (while working 2 days a week at the courts)

HAL 

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 9:53 pm

I think I do.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:23 pm

watt price tully wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Could be my youngest in 3 years time: she's doing the Post Grad Juris Dr fulltime at Monash in the CBD (while working 2 days a week at the courts)

What's she doing with the rest of her time?
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:33 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
watt price tully wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

What's she doing with the rest of her time?

Wink Laughing Studying.

watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:07 pm

stui magpie wrote:
watt price tully wrote:

It's OK to admit you were wrong about Unions.

You're correct. I'm waiting for you to do it.

Stui here: I admit I was wrong about Unions in general and the CFMEU specifically Wink Razz

HAL 

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 2:09 pm

"it" being [quote] You're correct?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: