Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies beat Saints - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:14 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Collingwood 15.10.100
St. Kilda 10.12.72

Goals: De Goey 6, H-E, Wells, Stevo 2, Pendles, Phillips, Thomas 1,

Disposals: Sidey 38, Crisp, Pendles, Howe, Phillips 30, Shaz 26, Langdon 25, Murray, Treloar 24, Grundy 23, Adams 21, Thomas 20, Stevo 18, Appleby 16, Wells 15, H-E, Mayne 16,

Tackles: Langdon, Treloar 7

D/E: Wells 93.3%, Phillips 86.7, Crisp 85, Shaz 80.8, Langdon, Pendles 80,

AF Points: Howe 136, Grundy 134, Phillips 120, Crisp 119, Langdon 116, Sidey 110, Shaz 100, Pendles 99

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
kymbo5@yahoo.com.au 

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:17 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
Only individual ‘brilliance’ won us that.

Nothing to do with coaching.

Nothing to be proud of. A 15 minutes third quarter burst, and that’s it.

It may not have been a win for the ages but it was a win we had to have and we did it. As a Collingwood supporter, I am proud of it.

To say the coaching had nothing to do with it is ignorant in my view. Had we lost, it would have been the coaches fault, now we've won, they had nothing to do with it. That's not fair and not right in my view. I certainly respect your right to have your own view however.

masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:19 pm

Just watching the ch7 after match review and Grundy walked by with ice on his achilles.
Well he limped by not walked by.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:22 pm

Wasn't great, and I genuinely thought we were done at half time, and 5 minutes into the third. But we visibly clicked into a higher gear, that the Saints do not have, and that is encouraging.
The conclusions I would draw is that we pretty much need to move the ball rapidly to the max. As soon as we go into stagnant ball movement, we literally build up momentum for the opposition.
The quality of our disposal is extremely variable.
When it is down, we fall back into stagnant ball movement, which the opposition then feeds off.
When our disposal improves, or when we decide to take the game on (not sure which is the causative factor), we suddenly rip into fast, exhilarating ball movement.
Also, our defensive positioning was really off in the first half, and St Kilda sliced through us in a way we haven't seen this year.
This was clearlly addressed in the second half.
I am hoping that the first half was simply a bad night, which we were able to turn around in the second half.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:23 pm

Yeah, it was a bit lack lustre. Almost switched channels to watch the royal wedding!! (Just kidding).
However, a win is a win is a win. Saints reminded me a lot of us last season - lots of endeavour, passages of great play, but just can't get it on the scoreboard.
Actually, I spent the second half being very impressed with some of our players - JDG of course (hope we can sign him up again or at least get a player of his equal), Pendles, Sidey (incredible endurance), WHE (this guy is still only 24 years old and one of only three players to date to kick a goal every game), Grundy, Howie (was horrified when he seemed to hyper-extend his knee), young Stephenson (what a go-er), my boy Schazz. I'd include Daniel Wells of course, but don't expect him to be on the paddock for very long (age/injury).
Ev5Magpies Virgo

Ev5Magpies

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:23 pm

masoncox wrote:
Just watching the ch7 after match review and Grundy walked by with ice on his achilles.
Well he limped by not walked by.

Might have a slight case of tendinitis

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:33 pm

Do you think De Goey has done done enough to win the respect back from his teammates? Rolling Eyes

Seriously, the kid is the next Dusty. The club must sign him up asap.

While i was pleased with the win, I think it's time we dropped Cox and sent him back to the VFL to find some consistent form. I don't think he took a single mark tonight. In perfect conditions, that's simply not good enough for a bloke 7 ft tall. If it wasn't for the novelty of him being a Yank, he'd be dropped for sure.

Last edited by RudeBoy on Sat May 19, 2018 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:34 pm

I love beating St Kilda. Always cause for celebration. Do it ugly. Do it pretty. Do it over 8 quarters and take home a cup. I don't care.

Only got to see parts of the game tonight. Didn't look flash for much of what I saw but we did what we needed to do before parking the bus in the last. Should help with the legs against the Dogs next week.

Looking forward to the replay. Got a long, boring day of work tomorrow and watching even a win as scrappy as this one will make it all more tolerable. I'll probably replay the 3rd quarter a few times Wink

A lot of the faithful will have issues with tonight's win. They were stinking it up pretty bad over on Extreme Pissing and Moaning until we won. Now it's all gone silent. Personally, we are a way off from our next flag but wins like tonight and 2 weeks ago are important for our climb back. Undermanned at selection. Down a player early on. Not in the best form. We still got up.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:45 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
Wasn't great, and I genuinely thought we were done at half time, and 5 minutes into the third. But we visibly clicked into a higher gear, that the Saints do not have, and that is encouraging.
The conclusions I would draw is that we pretty much need to move the ball rapidly to the max. As soon as we go into stagnant ball movement, we literally build up momentum for the opposition.
The quality of our disposal is extremely variable.
When it is down, we fall back into stagnant ball movement, which the opposition then feeds off.
When our disposal improves, or when we decide to take the game on (not sure which is the causative factor), we suddenly rip into fast, exhilarating ball movement.
Also, our defensive positioning was really off in the first half, and St Kilda sliced through us in a way we haven't seen this year.
This was clearlly addressed in the second half.
I am hoping that the first half was simply a bad night, which we were able to turn around in the second half.

Saw it a bit last year though hey? And Montagna all smug on the Sunday footy show talking about how they knew how to cut us up, showing off like he's the only one who's ever done geometry.

You mentioned lack of fast ball movement and poor disposal and being unsure as which of these causes our stagnant play. I'd say it's the ball movement and belief. We need to accept that we will make mistakes as we go and that they will dissipate over time as we get better drilled.

We can say that we have been trying this style of footy for a few years but that is false. We've been trying here and there but have largely been too choked up to get it happening more than a few minutes per game.

But the forward press is back in vogue at the moment. They call it the Richmond style but we know who invented it. Add some tackling and boundary line hugging and it is our 2011 blueprint. So we also should be aware that fast movement and overlap is what tears it apart. We need to keep honing this play.
BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:52 pm

The Faz on crutches (precautionary naturally) but if he doesn’t get up for the ones or the twos in near future and other fwd like Reid a doubt do we look at a player from Coburg match❓
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:56 pm

I'd bring in Wills or Sier and rotate them through the midfield and forward line. Wills is a tackling machine and that might be what we need up forward. At 191 cms he's got some height as well.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:56 pm

Geek wrote:

Saw it a bit last year though hey? And Montagna all smug on the Sunday footy show talking about how they knew how to cut us up, showing off like he's the only one who's ever done geometry.

You mentioned lack of fast ball movement and poor disposal and being unsure as which of these causes our stagnant play. I'd say it's the ball movement and belief. We need to accept that we will make mistakes as we go and that they will dissipate over time as we get better drilled.

We can say that we have been trying this style of footy for a few years but that is false. We've been trying here and there but have largely been too choked up to get it happening more than a few minutes per game.

But the forward press is back in vogue at the moment. They call it the Richmond style but we know who invented it. Add some tackling and boundary line hugging and it is our 2011 blueprint. So we also should be aware that fast movement and overlap is what tears it apart. We need to keep honing this play.

Agree totally. We need to be fearless, accept that mistakes will happen, and go for rapid transition and aggressive ball movement. We look brilliant, against all opposition, when we do that.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:01 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Do you think De Goey has done done enough to win the respect back from his teammates? Rolling Eyes

Seriously, the kid is the next Dusty. The club must sign him up asap.

Absolutely agree RudeBoy that he must be signed on with us going forward. However, I would make him earn him a lucrative contract well and truly, before we swooped in and offered him a deal he couldn't refuse! Laughing
swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:06 am

We got out of second gear in the 3rd term and it was enough for the 4pts.

We're not in great from at present and a lot of that is probably down to injury disrupting the lineup most weeks.

Shattered for Fasolo.

If it hasn't occurred already we must open serious contract negotiations with de Goey.

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:07 am

RudeBoy wrote:

I'd bring in Wills or Sier and rotate them through the midfield and forward line. Wills is a tackling machine and that might be what we need up forward. At 191 cms he's got some height as well.

I suggested elsewhere that maybe our mid-field needs a big bodied, taller, stronger competitor to compliment the likes of Treloar, Pendles and Sidey. Either Wills or Sier would do - both were named in the VFL best today.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10   

Jump to: