Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Which seafood will correctly pick the 2018 World Cup winner?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:37 am
Post subject: Which seafood will correctly pick the 2018 World Cup winner?Reply with quote

Paul the Octupus is, sadly, pickled. So who’s going to be given the critical role of deciding which team is going to be awarded the winning penalty in the final? Will it be a prawn, a cuttlefish or a flounder?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:35 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the magic cuttlefish it is.

Neil, our gender-neutral cuttlefish, reckons that Germany and Brazil will reach the final. They are quite adamant that Russia cannot make it. Neil is full of wild, out-there predictions.

Also, Neil says that they are certainly not a betting invertebrate but, if they were, they would recommend that none of us back Australia to beat France in our tournament opener unless we are doing so because we would like to make a donation to our favourite bookie.

If and when Neil has anything useful or intelligent to add (but that's unlikely, really, given that they are only a cuttlefish, however magic), I'll be sure to let you know.

In the meantime, who do you think will win and why?

For me, this will be an intriguing tournament because the Dutch and the Italians cannot make it and because Spain have just shot themselves in the foot by firing the manager two days before the start and installing Hierro in the job, on training wheels. Why Hierro would accept the gig is anybody's guess, since he seems to be on a hiding to nothing. On the other hand, perhaps he thinks the bus will just drive itself.

Perhaps this is Messi's chance to emerge from Maradona's shadow. Not that he really can, of course - because Maradona was the greatest player who ever took to the field - but it would be an opportunity for Messi to demonstrate that he is something greater than the third best player ever to play for Barcelona.

Anyway, my predictions - based as they are entirely on guesswork, Neil's cuttlefish intuition and absolutely no knowledge of any player of substance since Pele retired - for the first round of group matches are:

Russia 4, Saudi Arabia 0
Egypt 0, Urugay 3
Morocco 0, Iran 0
Portugal 1 (and 3 Spanish own goals), Spain 4
France 1, Australia 1 (Cahill to head the equalizer in the 96th minute)
Argentina 2, Iceland 0
Peru 0, Denmark 0
Croatia 0, Nigeria 2
Costa Rica 0, Serbia 1
Germany 5, Mexico 1
Brazil 0, Switzerland 0
Sweden 1, Sth Korea 0
Belgium 7, Panama 0
Tunisia 1, England 0
Colombia 2, Japan 1
Poland 0, Senegal 2
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:42 am

So, Russia won 5:0. Neil and I predicted 4:0, so we'll call that correct.

I have asked Neil why they were out by a goal. Neil says they could foresee 2 goals in injury time at the end of the game but discounted 1 because it was inconceivable that could occur in real life to a team that wasn't German and playing in a Champions League Final against Manchester United. I suppose that's fair enough, really.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:02 am

Egypt 0, Uruguay 1.

So, Neil is 2 for 2 on results so far, which is pretty good for a cuttlefish with little interest in soccer. Once again, they got the margin wrong.

Apparently, though, no one here has even the remotest interest in talking about or predicting match results, let alone trying to test their prediction skills against those of the house cuttlefish so I'll just let the thread die quietly.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> English Premier and A-League Soccer All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: