Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Anyone not think getting rid of this guy was a mistake?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

At seasons end, he is out of contract... Laughing
Damien Aquarius

Me Noah & Flynn @ the G

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:16 pm
Post subject: Re: Anyone not think getting rid of this guy was a mistake?Reply with quote

E wrote:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-22/the-stats-files-crow-set-to-join-exclusive-club#/

In a season where I've heard people criticize Chris Mayne for lack of metres gained, its odd that we had an elite yard gainer on our list and we decided to get rid of him before he got into his prime.

I know there is the counter argument that he was a bad egg and we likely wouldn't have brought the best out of him and that he needed to get out of Melbourne, etc.

But I will say this. I love Nathan Buckley and Scott Pendlebury. But I think the inability of the pies to get the best out of all types of players is part of the reason there are so many holes in the list.

What holes in the list exactly? And which players not performing to their best are you blaming on the captain and Coach?

inxs88 

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 2:59 pm

Crazypie wrote:
If I recall correctly he played about 1 good game for us the Anzac day where he won the Anzac Day medal. He was pretty much injured the rest of the time.

I remember at the time (and still now) it didn't bother me too much we lost him (and Kennedy) and received Howe and a late pick that might of landed us Crocker?

Rupert Wills

Invigoration 

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 3:05 pm

Should have given him a portion of Daniel Wells' salary
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:01 pm

E wrote:
masoncox wrote:
He did not reach his potential at collingwood.
Was the fault with collingwood, was it with him or was it a combination?

at the end of the day, it doesnt serve anyone well to try to apportion blame. Obviously Seedsman must bear a lions share of the blame. he was from all reports moving in bad circles, taking his footy skills for granted and slow to realize that hard work beats talent if talent fails to work hard.

That wasnt my point. My point is that the real success of really successful clubs is the abiulity of a team to get everyone, even the problem children to become their best.

MM was able to get the best out of Shaw, Didak and Swan. All potential rogues. He even got the best of of Heritier lumumba!! We had a culture back then where every type of player became their best. We won a flag.

Richmond were able to get the best out of Dusty Martin (remember there was a time when people thought to get rid of him due to his "issues". they won a flag.

Geelong got the very best of of numerous dickheads including Stevie Johnson. They won flags.

I was just observing that its teams that can get the best from players (even those that are undermining themselves through their destructuve behavior) are the ones that come out on top.

And to those who think we only got Howe because we traded Seedsman, what a load of rubbish. That was a spare parts trade by all clubs (each of whom saw the speculative merit of certain skills). We could have gotten it done without trading Seedsman by offering very little of something else.

Without criticising Malthouse, he failed to get the best out of Sav Rocca, Paul Williams and Mal Michael. Happens with all coaches. It's better for the player to move to another club where the environment suits and the transfer to a new club is good for the maturity of the player. It could have happened in reverse for Seedsman. He could have been picked up at Adelaide at age 18, been a party boy in Adelaide and had numerous arguments with Don Pyke and then been transferred to Victoria and play for us and suddenly mature and play his best football for Collingwood.
E 

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 5:43 pm

3 interesting examples.

1. Rocca. Wasn't this more a case of too many Roccas in one forward line doesn't work and we chose little rock.

2. Williams. I thought that had something to do with Buckley, not Malthouse.

3. Michael. This is one where it was definitely the case of us not getting the best of him, but to be fair, he was moved along in MMs first year. Having said that - In a career spanning 238 games and three clubs in two Australian states he is best known as a triple premiership full-back with the Brisbane Lions. Michael is recognized as being one of the best Queensland produced Australian rules footballers of all time, being named on the AFL Queensland Team of the 20th Century.

I guess it happens a lot, but i wonder if it happens a lot to the teams that go onto win premierships, and i guess that is the point of it all.

Buddy and Ablett left their teams who went on to win flags. Did Adelaide win one after Danger left? No, but they made a grand final last year so i guess there are examples of teams not keeping their list together and still being successful.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:25 pm

List clogger Seedsman. Not a big game player, wouldn't have survived under Malthouse either.
roxymeg 

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:18 pm

Cam wrote:
List clogger Seedsman. Not a big game player, wouldn't have survived under Malthouse either.

Anzac Day not a big game???
Seedsman was never liked or given a go by the coach.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:32 pm

roxymeg wrote:
Cam wrote:

Not true. Seedsman was told several times to move out of his group house and stop partying on with his mates, as it was preventing him from being fully fit. He ignored the club's advice and so was eventually told to move on. It's taken him a further 3 yrs at the Crows to start playing some decent footy. I wish him well, but am glad he's no longer with us.
masoncox 

masoncox

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:02 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
roxymeg wrote:
Cam wrote:

Not true. Seedsman was told several times to move out of his group house and stop partying on with his mates, as it was preventing him from being fully fit. He ignored the club's advice and so was eventually told to move on. It's taken him a further 3 yrs at the Crows to start playing some decent footy. I wish him well, but am glad he's no longer with us.

Metres gained by Seedsman is outstanding.
Metres gained by Mayne who is playing in the same spot is ordinary.
Much prefer seedsman to mayne.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:06 pm

masoncox wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
roxymeg wrote:
Cam wrote:

Metres gained by Seedsman is outstanding.
Metres gained by Mayne who is playing in the same spot is ordinary.
Much prefer seedsman to mayne.

I'd prefer Jason Wild to Chris Mayne. Embarassed
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 8:55 pm

Chris Mayne is a better player than Jason Wild.
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:02 pm

Tonight I was out, and bought three chicken schnitzel focacias @$10 for me and my two boys. I struggled to eat mine, and lad #2 had about a third left when he stopped. I said "That's $3.30 sitting there, can you have another bite." He winced, frowned, grimaced and then did. I said "Ok, that's $2.50, I'm comfortable with that." Then we tossed the rest and went shopping.

That pretty much metaphorically encapsulates why Mayne is getting a game.

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:03 pm

Cam wrote:
Tonight I was out, and bought three chicken schnitzel focacias @$10 for me and my two boys. I struggled to eat mine, and lad #2 had about a third left when he stopped. I said "That's $3.30 sitting there, can you have another bite." He winced, frowned, grimaced and then did. I said "Ok, that's $2.50, I'm comfortable with that." Then we tossed the rest and went shopping.

That pretty much metaphorically encapsulates why Mayne is getting a game.

Never thought I would read Chris Mayne and chicken schnitzel focaccia in the same post. Pretty good analogy though 😂
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:33 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
roxymeg wrote:
Cam wrote:

Also, he played 49 games for us (and, to be fair, not too many good ones), so it’s difficult to sustain a claim that he wasn’t given a go. Anyway, it might be that, like plenty of others, he performs better in a better team because the odds against him aren’t so overwhelming. I don’t think one could confidently assert that he’d do the same job as he does at Adelaide if he were dumped back into our also-ran team.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: