Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Who is our most underrated player ?

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:58 am
Post subject: Who is our most underrated player ?Reply with quote

I watched the Essendon game again this evening, and remembered just how long it took us to overcome them. It was closer for longer than Id remembered, partly because we failed to kick many goals early. Then I recalled that we struggled to kick goals against WCE as well, and I started to consider whether Hoskin-Elliott might be a hugely underrated key to this side. He was largely absent from both of those games relative to his usual output, b cause of a knee. Back to fitness this week, he created a lot of scores from 50/50 chances. Though we all know hes a good player, I wonder whether he might be more critical to our ultimate performance than we think. He also happens to be a beautiful footballer, regularly supplying acts of almost balletic grace.

Who else do you see as our most underrated player at present (No prizes for guessing P4Ss nomination, Im guessing!). Thomas ? Mihocek ? Langdon ?Howe ? Adams ? By underrated, I mean a player who is more critical to our success than most people seem to realise or acknowledge.

Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Cox is a lot more valuable to our structure than what some think.
Just his presence makes backmen have second thoughts.

WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:12 pm

I'm gonna say it: Langdon hehehe.
RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:22 pm

WarrenerraW wrote:

Don't laugh, he is our most underrated player imo.
GlovemanGayfer Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:24 pm

Travis Varcoe. Does a lot of unseen, unspectacular along with his burst of power. He's a different player to what we saw at Geelong but he brings something unique to the team.

I think that Grundy is still under rated by the media. Particularly when you consider his tackling and hard running.
Boogie Knights 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:46 pm

Cox would be the popular answer and is starting to get recognition as such by the media... so much so that he's almost no longer under rated... Following his out against WCE, it was widely postulated that he may be our most important player... that may be over stated, but not under rated.

I'd be in the Thomas camp I think. Something good always happens when he's around the contest yet he rarely gets a mention.
tbaker 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:59 pm

Boy, what a loaded question (what, you think he's that poorly thought of - or - you're kidding me, he's a turnover merchant!!)
Dare I say it...Chris Mayne...have noticed lately that he often forces a contest out of an almost certain opposition possession; applies good pressure to the opposition

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:11 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:

Don't laugh, he is our most underrated player imo.

Not in a million years mate
Stats don't tell a full story but they show he's the worst defender on our list and the eye test makes him look worse.
For mine I would name Crisp he's rarely beaten 1 on 1 his ball use has improved out of sight, he gets up field and sets up scoring chances and his reading of the game is very good. Considering he was the steak knives in the Beams deal he's been more than handy
After that I would go with Stephenson.
We see a lot of flashy things he does but his chasing and harassing often force the oppostion into errors the he uses his speed to get back on the attacking side of the ball
In 12 months I think Seir will be in this conversation as well. Small sample so far but he's doing everything right thus far
Crazypie 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:38 pm

At the moment without Treloar.... Sier other than that Josh Thomas.
E 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:40 pm

It depends. This board underrates Langdon for sure. I dont think the club does though which is why i think he has played just about every game he was able to stand upright for.

I would say until the end of last year that Steele was our most underrated player, but he gets his proper dues these days.

DeGoey too was underrated as recently as the start of this year.

The thing is that most of us now see the light with most of the players now so hard to underrate them.

Maybe Varcoe is the current guy on the team that is the most underrated. He and Greenwood. i guess we are digging the youth and so these old guys get underappreciated.

But for sure, on balance, its Langdon.

MJ23 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:44 pm

Langdon is the new Toovey.
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:59 pm

I agree with WHE. Thomas is another one and that is from someone who was not a Fan of him Before this Season.

I say Langdon and Phillips are Overrated

E 

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:20 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
I agree with WHE. Thomas is another one and that is from someone who was not a Fan of him Before this Season.

I say Langdon and Phillips are Overrated

Who doesn't think WHE is awesome. Who doesn't think Thomas is amazing? Strange observation.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:27 pm

I think you could have said Hoskin-Elliott earlier in the season (I literally dont even remember him playing last year), but I reckon hes a legit star now and recognised as such. Otherwise, we have quite a few: Scharenberg, Mihocek, Langdon, Adams, Mayne, Maynard ... but my vote is Crisp.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:29 pm
Post subject: Re: Who is our most underrated player ?Reply with quote

Mugwump wrote:
I watched the Essendon game again this evening, and remembered just how long it took us to overcome them. It was closer for longer than Id remembered, partly because we failed to kick many goals early. Then I recalled that we struggled to kick goals against WCE as well, and I started to consider whether Hoskin-Elliott might be a hugely underrated key to this side. He was largely absent from both of those games relative to his usual output, b cause of a knee. Back to fitness this week, he created a lot of scores from 50/50 chances. Though we all know hes a good player, I wonder whether he might be more critical to our ultimate performance than we think. He also happens to be a beautiful footballer, regularly supplying acts of almost balletic grace.

The inclusions of WHE (a fit and not sore WHE that is) and Cox are on my list of under-rated players especially considering the last two weeks.

Langdon may well be as he is important but his mistakes for some reason appear glaring.

Varcoe and Josh Thomas too seem under-rated.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4   

Jump to: