Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Skeleton crew emergency list

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:09 pm
Post subject: Skeleton crew emergency listReply with quote

Madgen, McLarty, Oxley, Smith

This has to be the most bizarre emergency list ever for a top 4 team at this stage of the season – two potential debutants (one of whom was picked as a category b rookie), one guy who hasn’t played since round 1 (and who most of us had practically forgotten about) and another who hasn’t played senior level since 2016.

One could justifiably guess that it’d be long odds that any of those would be named by the end of the season – yet, all it will take is a late change and at least one of them will be taking on the best team in the comp. If so, good luck to them... and *gulp*.

Brown26 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the other fit options aren't much different - Blair, Nathan Murphy, Tyler Brown and Ben Crocker are the only fit players not playing in the AFL this week or emergency, and that counts rookies as well! Of those, only Blair and Crocker have played AFL before obviously. I'm assuming Wills and Lynch are still building match fitness but you could call on one of those at a pinch I s'pose. Otherwise, I'm available if given 90 minutes notice.... Wink

- Ben
Brown26 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:23 pm

On the plus side I guess this makes us a destination team - Tom Lynch could skip training, take up golf and skiing, drink all week, Dum Sum it up with Stui and god knows what with Dyso and he's basically still guaranteed a game...

- Ben
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:27 pm

Interesting – why would Crocker have been left out, I wonder? I know Blair’s only just returned from injury, but I’d have thought Crocker would have been next cab off the rank if someone from the 22 can’t make it.
K 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:28 pm

^ Just re-watch his last few games.
Brown26 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:32 pm

David given I've announced my availability I'm shocked you would still think that about Crocker....

He needs some time in the two's to get his hands on the footy if he's to play this game plan IMO. He's suited as the lead up forward but he's not tall enough for it at AFL level. He needs to work on where to run and where to be when he doesn't have the ball and also at least try to crumb the big guys. He needs some time standing in front of Reid in the VFL.

- Ben
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:36 pm

K wrote:
^ Just re-watch his last few games.

Yeah, I reckon he might be about to switch onto the Oxley track. The track where you look ok for a few AFL games but never quite establish yourself, and then you spend two years in the twos before being named third emergency in an injury crisis....

AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:42 pm

We've gone from selecting Crocker whenever any forward was missing to not even including him as an emergency behind Oxley and Magden? Can't say I'm complaining but makes his recent selection even more questionable.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:43 pm

I can’t say he’s set the world on fire for me this year, but he has played a lot of footy and I kind of presumed that the coaching staff must see something in him. Perhaps he’s wishing he didn’t get called up for the West Coast game at the last minute, as his poor showing that day seems to have hurt his prospects big time.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:48 pm

Saw some potential but has definitely stagnated this year. Had his chances, I think his days are numbered
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:49 pm

Interesting (related) question: has a club ever been unable to name three (or, now, four) emergencies because they didn’t have enough fit players to pick from? Some teams must have come close over the years.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:50 pm

Brown26 wrote:
On the plus side I guess this makes us a destination team - Tom Lynch could skip training, take up golf and skiing, drink all week, Dum Sum it up with Stui and god knows what with Dyso and he's basically still guaranteed a game...

- Ben

You say that like it's a bad thing. Wink

Dyso has patented a different method of serving Dim Sims, just think ping pong balls and a Thai bar.

On a quasi serious note, if we can even be competitive this week with the decimated list we have, we're doing something very right. The way guys have been able to come in to the team who wouldn't have been considered in the top 30 pre season and play their role has been brilliant.

E 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:01 pm

AN_Inkling wrote:
We've gone from selecting Crocker whenever any forward was missing to not even including him as an emergency behind Oxley and Magden? Can't say I'm complaining but makes his recent selection even more questionable.

He was given a shot and showed he isn't AFL material. Just like Oxley did two years ago (and like countless others have before him - Gault). Crocker was truly terrible the last couple of games he played.

Its fairly obvious that they are worried Moore might not play and Magden will play if Moore is unable to.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:39 pm

And that makes sense —-the continual ready not ready place Moore sits in

Drives me and I guarantee the club to frustration this Moore thing

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:06 am

AN_Inkling wrote:

100% this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: