Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies pummel Bulldogs - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:14 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

PyreneesPie wrote:
Crazypie wrote:
It's good the boys will now, finally, have a decent break, 8 days. To be 6 and 4 after the sh1t house start of the season draw, very, very happy!

Absolutely - a full on break!! Awful scheduling for the past month or so, wasn't it. Then again, I won't be surprised if we start slowly against the Dockers next week, We may be a little rusty, not having had a decent break for so long.

9 day break I believe!

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:15 am

Collingwood 13.12.90
Bulldogs 8.6.54

Goals: H-E, Treloar, Thomas 2, Daics, Pendles, Adams, Sidey, Stevo, Langdon, Phillips 1,

Disposals: Treloar 40, Phillips 36, Pendles 32, Crisp 31, Langdon 29, Adams, Shaz, Grundy 26, Sidey 24, Dunn 23, Levi 22, Mayne 17, H-E 18, De Goey 15, Howe 14, Daics 16

D/E: Shaz 100%, Dunn 82.6, Crisp 80.6

Tackles: Treloar 5, seven others had 4.

AF Points: Treloar 130, Grundy 124, Phillips 116, Crisp 107, H-E 115, Pendles 109, Dunn, Sidey 98

Crowd: 37,985.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:16 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
Start slowly? We’ll destroy Freo by 45 points from go to whoa!

Love your optimism RH, but aren't you forgetting one factor by the name of Nat
Fyffe? Laughing Actually, make that two - the ruck contest between Sandilands and our lion Grundy should be a beauty.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:17 am

Good win in the end, and fantastic to see our defence keep the Dogs goalless in the second half. Bucks would have been over the moon to see the defensive structure hold up strongly. I think the inclusion of Justin Longmuir into our coaching team cannot be understated. Our defence has been solid this year.

The criticism in the first half was warranted. The dogs were all over us and we were second to the ball more often than not, but I felt we started working our way back into the match in the second quarter, and then it ripened in the second half.

The most notable difference after half time was our tackling pressure. In the first half we only laid 22 tackles to the Dogs 35, but we upped the ante in the second half laying 36 tackles which was important.

Tom Phillips was excellent and BOG for mine. He never stops running and it's great to see that he's finally receiving the recognition and plaudits he deserves.

I think Mason will get rubbed out, but knowing the MRP anything is possible.

To be 6-4 is a fantastic outcome considering we lost our first two games of the year. In essence, we've won 6 of our last 8. I would have been stoked to be in this position at the start of the year.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:20 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:

Fyffe? Laughing Actually, make that two - the ruck contest between Sandilands and our lion Grundy should be a beauty.

I’m happy to let Sandman and Phyfe run free. 18 will beat 2 every day of the week.

Bookmark these words...we will win handsomely, comfortably, easily...

PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:22 am

Pies2016 wrote:
I saw a couple posters called for Appleby to be dropped for this game and now for the Dockers game already.
Can someone explain to me what I have missed in his last two games.
As a defender first ( before he starts becoming a play maker ) I don’t think the kid has put a foot wrong.
Maynard will likely force him out at some point but I thought his game tonight was really solid. Personally, right now, I think it’s still his spot to lose.

He's done a great job for such a young (19 years of age!!), first year player. He held up particularly well during the Doggies onslaught of the first quarter. I expect though, as you say, that Maynard will get the guernsey ahead of him when he's fit again. Still, valuable experience for the young fella.

Oddly enough, the backline seems to be stacked at the moment with young players showing lots of promise, unlike the forward line. A good position for the club to be in, given that so many legends of the game say that premiership aspirations start with defence.
PyreneesPie Pisces

PyreneesPie

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:26 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:

I’m happy to let Sandman and Phyfe run free. 18 will beat 2 every day of the week.

Bookmark these words...we will win handsomely, comfortably, easily...

Laughing Laughing I'm not familiar enough with Freo, but I'm pretty confident they must have other useful players besides the two mentioned above.
Nevetheless, I really hope you're right!!
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:42 am

AN_Inkling wrote:
Geek wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
Unfortunately, Chris Mayne played another good game. Embarassed

Very Happy Laughing He did, didn't he. His defensive efforts warranted another game.

Quietly stoked for the guy Smile

A lot of people have had fun at Mayne's expense, but he looks to have carried himself well at all times. He's put in the hard yards in the VFL and now his commitment is paying off. Well deserved.

Yep. Actually felt pretty badly for him for all the shit he's copped - much of it personal and totally uncalled for. It isn't his fault that he scored a contract of the sort he did. We'd all jump at the chance of that sort of coin, especially if it meant continuing a career playing the game.

But he's applied himself well and with good character and seems to be taking his chance now. I hope it continues for him.
Streak Pisces

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:50 am

PyreneesPie wrote:
WHE is fast becoming one of my favourite players. He's such a dependable mark and I always feel far more relaxed when it's him shooting for goal. I wonder if he'll be the only player in the league to kick a goal in every game after this round?

He's today's Tarkyn Lockyer.
Redlight 

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 1:59 am

Geek wrote:
Gonna pour a Bourbon, take off the ignore filter and go check out the start of the game day thread. Should be a hoot

Did exactly the same but with a big glass of red. Smile
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:07 am

Buckley's Press Conference:

? - [FIRST QUESTION WAS CUT OUT OF THE VIDEO]
Quote:
"...I think its mainly due to getting the four points, Tom, to be honest. Obviously the gap in the scoreboard in the first quarter was always going to be hard to peg back against a quality side, but we did it bit by bit. The last half in particular was a really strong example of the brand we want to play more often. Hopefully we're improving and getting closer to it and doing it better week by week".

Do you feel your starting to demonstrate you're a potential top 8 side?
Quote:
"I think we are starting to demonstrate that we are a potential top 8 side".

You threw De Goey in the middle at half time. Did you make any structural changes post-quarter time to adjust to the Bulldogs' dominance?
Quote:
"We didn't make that many structural changes at quarter time. The plans we went in with we executed better in the second quarter. One thing we didn't bring was the pressure on the ball that we normally enjoy and take for granted in many ways, but our pressure was really low on the Bulldogs mids and high backs through that first quarter. They were able to find some hit ups off our defenders. I think our back six have been defending really well. The defensive mechanisms behind the ball have been pretty strong, but when you don't have pressure on the pill is going to expose even the best defensive units so we got that right and it's clearly the thing that changed the game in the second quarter and gave us more of a chance in the second quarter and then we got more right after that".

Did you make any adjustments to your delivery inside 50 as you were turning it over a fair bit in the first quarter?
Quote:
"The Dogs got back really hard after the first 10 minutes when we controlled territory and were not able to get our hands on the pill. Our contested ball method and our ability to crumb some of those contests was not good enough. They were able to run it out pretty well, so it was probably a mirror image of the St Kilda game last week early in the game where we had inside 50s but we didn't look like we were going to score. We just ask for a better effort to be honest and equalise those numbers a bit more. The game did open up a little bit after half time as well".

From an interpretation perspective, do some of the tactics on Mason Cox concern you at times in terms of chopping of the arms and so fourth?
Quote:
"I think it's ongoing. I think Mason is still learning the craft; so some guys draw the free kicks really well by making it obvious to the umpires. We're coaching Mason to go highest point at the ball and to use his strengths which is his height and reach to advantage. I think clearly the opposition has decided the best way to nullify his impact is to really go hard at the body off ball, as the ball is coming into his area. It's a tough job for the umpiring department, but I think he's going to be due more as we become more aware of what the tactics are at the moment because he's doing well to fight through it. There are laws that protect his access to the ball and we're sure he will be supported as the year continues".

What was your view of the incident that Mason Cox was involved in during the last quarter?
Quote:
"We know that the rough conduct report has come in. He's a clumsy big fella at the best of times so it was a clumsy contest. We will wait and see how that pans out. The size differential is always tough for him so he's going to collect guys high more often than not in that circumstance. As I said, the rough conduct has come in and been laid by the match day report and we will deal with that during the week".

Does De Goey prefer playing up forward or through the middle?
Quote:
"If he's not getting a touch forward and you say go in the middle, he'll be happy. If he's not getting a touch in the middle and you say go forward, he'll be happy. Whichever way, we changed quite a few roles tonight. De Goey, Sidebottom, Adams, Josh Thomas was asked to play a different role at half time. Those adjustments probably showed our versatility which was good. We know that De Goey is a ball around stoppage and he was important to add a little bit more bite for us around centre bounce and mid stoppage".

Macrae obviously got a bit of it early, and then you put Greenwood onto him which we expected to happen from the start, so how did you see that dual involve even if it was for a short period of time?
Quote:
"Greenwood played back. Jackson Macrae must have just gone forward and he would have picked him up. He had 19 up until half time and about 12 or 13 of those would have been in our forward 50, and when a ball winning player is winning the ball 120 metres from the opposition goal, you're not that disappointed. I thought the last half was probably an example of when game style can look after a dangerous midfield player or a good player in the opposition. We didn't give him any more attention, but the facts were is that we controlled the flow of the game a little bit more with our offence, our contest and then our defence. When you don't win, it's the wrong decision and when you win it's the right decision, but the facts are it's not always the determining factor. I think he had over 30 in the end. He had 11 in the second half when we were 55 points up on the differential so we'll take that".

What's the diagnosis of Travis Varcoe?
Quote:
"A likely hamstring strain. He said he didn't feel that much but he just tightened up, so we'll see how he tracks".

Is Wells on track to come back next week?
Quote:
"Yeah, he's getting some good training in. Not running around out here for this game off a six-day break ends up being a win-win for us. He ends up being available for selection and we get the four points. You don't always get it that way, and it's not just want Wells brings to the table for us but it's actually what the other players are asked to play role. Josh Daicos came in and played a role really well and looked really likely at times. I don't even know how much of the ball he had but he was where we needed him to be, so that was encouraging to".

Why was Murray dropped?
Quote:
"Form".

Was it that poor kicking efficiency off half back?
Quote:
"A little bit of that. A little bit of contest. He's a good young player. He's just played the first nine games of his AFL career and he's done pretty well. He had a little bit of a lull, so he goes back and we'll see if he can get his form up and play some good footy in the VFL and give himself a chance to come back in and contribute later in the year".

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-05-26/buckley-reflects-on-fridays-win

Last edited by Jezza on Sat May 26, 2018 5:18 am; edited 3 times in total
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:30 am

Thanks Jezza, much appreciated cheers
slangman 

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:32 am

I’m overseas and haven’t watched the game yet but will give my observations of the game from the “game day thread”.

Rubbish first half where the umpires were more deplorable than our effort. The fans were in two minds as to who was the bigger culprit for us trailing at the first two changes.

Second half was back to what we do best. Great attacking pressure and putting the score on the board to run out convincing winners (if you take away the first quarter shamozzolle).

Winners are grinners especially now that we’re in the top 8....

Now to go and actually watch the replay 🤣

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:38 am

We’re a Jamie Elliott type up forward away from burying teams.

Alas...

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:38 am

think positive wrote:
Thanks Jezza, much appreciated cheers

No worries, Jo.

Are you in the States at the moment?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11   

Jump to: