Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Dockers - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Invigoration 

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 4:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

lanstro wrote:
If I've learnt anything about our game plan this year, this is how this game will go:

Q1: timid start with not much happening until junk time. They get an easy goal from a clean center clearance. Dunn and Langdon give away dumb frees that lead to goals. Shaz takes 4 intercept marks for the quarter and avoids us being 6 goals down. Nicksters claim that we're playing like 2016-17.
Q2: Defence tightens up a bit. WHE kicks his goal, commentators talk about how he' scored every week. A couple of our unsung mid tier players keep us in it. Wells or Pendles creatively finds an I50 target from traffic. Dunn makes a great play play to save a goal. We leak 2 late goals in junk time.
Q3: Minor adjustments by the coaches make our structures look good again. Grundy has tired out their rucks and starts to dominate. Sidey and Treloar miss gettable snaps or running goals, but Thomas nails his. Wells or Reid goes off injured. It doesn't matter, we are in control of general play and win the quarter by 3 goals.
Q4: Phillips just keeps keeping on at full pace, and they don't have anyone with the stamina left to go with him. Cox clunks a few and does enough to keep his spot for another game. Handballs off his set shot which ends as a behind. We score 2 more and then conserve energy, cruising to a 20 point win.

This is the best thing I've read on here in a long time Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 5:58 pm

Other than a winning score of 96 points against G C S, their average scores away are all around 50 points. They are simply very ordinary away from home.
The best way to beat these guys is to apply manic mid field pressure. Their mids do get a lot of the ball but they are fairly scrubby at pin pointing targets inside their own forward 50 under pressure.
Walters is their wild card. Slow him down and I would be fairly confident of a convincing win.
They have a serious tagger, Banfield. Someone is going to be in for a very annoying arvo ( probably Sidey )
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 6:41 pm

Well I'm safely back in the sunshine state were its raining !
Was great to watch the boys live but I must say at quarter time I was checking the next available flight home !!
I watched the replay today at home and a few things stood out
The umpiring is worse live than on TV. Sidey was basically held the more for 50% of the game with out reward absolutely shocking
Cox can't mark a ball when he's getting his arms chopped and another player pushing at his hips putting him under the ball
Phillips is a vastly improved footballer his best is still in front of him and when he learns to kick on his right he will be a real weapon
Scharenberg is now showing why he was so highly rated at a junior. Heck he's a player. Can't wait for him to start backing himself more taking the game on with his boot
Langdon is a deadset liability in the team. Other than giving up 4 goals himself (half there score) he was caught out so many times standing in no mans land not close to his man nor the ball. He looks bad on TV but looks a damn sight worse live.
We missed Murray's run off HBF but Appleby looks a likley type
Grundy is near our most valuable player and the barometer of how we're going. When he's firing were winning when he's down a bit we struggle. He's just a beast at the contest

With Varcoe our Wells is the obvious replacement
If Murray was in form I would take Langdon out as well but he needs more time in the VFL by the sounds of the coach
I'm tipping we will win and win quite easy really
They are a ordinary side in many ways
Pies by 34
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:18 pm

Invigoration wrote:
lanstro wrote:
If I've learnt anything about our game plan this year, this is how this game will go:

Q1: timid start with not much happening until junk time. They get an easy goal from a clean center clearance. Dunn and Langdon give away dumb frees that lead to goals. Shaz takes 4 intercept marks for the quarter and avoids us being 6 goals down. Nicksters claim that we're playing like 2016-17.
Q2: Defence tightens up a bit. WHE kicks his goal, commentators talk about how he' scored every week. A couple of our unsung mid tier players keep us in it. Wells or Pendles creatively finds an I50 target from traffic. Dunn makes a great play play to save a goal. We leak 2 late goals in junk time.
Q3: Minor adjustments by the coaches make our structures look good again. Grundy has tired out their rucks and starts to dominate. Sidey and Treloar miss gettable snaps or running goals, but Thomas nails his. Wells or Reid goes off injured. It doesn't matter, we are in control of general play and win the quarter by 3 goals.
Q4: Phillips just keeps keeping on at full pace, and they don't have anyone with the stamina left to go with him. Cox clunks a few and does enough to keep his spot for another game. Handballs off his set shot which ends as a behind. We score 2 more and then conserve energy, cruising to a 20 point win.

This is the best thing I've read on here in a long time Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ditto.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:47 pm

Invigoration wrote:
lanstro wrote:

Yep, that was real quality. Bucks should read it out at this week’s team prep meeting.

foreigner Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:35 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Invigoration wrote:
lanstro wrote:

Yep, that was real quality. Bucks should read it out at this week’s team prep meeting.

Indeed. Great post. It seems like in Q1 we wait for the opposition to make their play rather than trying to make a statement and take the game away from them even if we control the ball. Then the rest of the time we play catch-up sometimes coming up short.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:11 am

qldmagpie67 wrote:
Was great to watch the boys live but I must say at quarter time I was checking the next available flight home !!
The umpiring is worse live than on TV. Sidey was basically held the more for 50% of the game with out reward absolutely shocking
Cox can't mark a ball when he's getting his arms chopped and another player pushing at his hips putting him under the ball
Phillips is a vastly improved footballer his best is still in front of him and when he learns to kick on his right he will be a real weapon
Scharenberg is now showing why he was so highly rated at a junior. Heck he's a player. Can't wait for him to start backing himself more taking the game on with his boot
Langdon is a deadset liability in the team. Other than giving up 4 goals himself (half there score) he was caught out so many times standing in no mans land not close to his man nor the ball. He looks bad on TV but looks a damn sight worse live.
Grundy is near our most valuable player and the barometer of how we're going. When he's firing were winning when he's down a bit we struggle. He's just a beast at the contest

If Murray was in form I would take Langdon out as well but he needs more time in the VFL by the sounds of the coach
Pies by 34

I've come round to the thinking that it's not about Murray regaining form in the VFL but more about Murray's run and carry style of game not suiting Buckley's game plan, which is more predictable movement from our half backline to our goal line. The positive about the way Murray plays is that it breaks up the defensive setups of the zones the opposition sets up. The downside is that our own half backs and forwards have to be able to predict where Murray is taking the ball and if they can't do that, it lowers the effectiveness of Murray being in the team. Manic movement of the ball out of defence achieves nothing. It reminds me a bit of what Marley Williams was doing in the team before he got traded. In my view Murray has a lot of work to do in the VFL before he regains his spot. Meanwhile Appleby is performing well in the side and will get get better as he fixes his defensive errors.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:37 am

I actually think it’s more straight forward than that. Murray’s style did not suit Etihad because of the confined spaces. You break a line and there’s the next line, ready to tackle. By contrast, it suits Scharenberg perfectly, because he’s slow as a coach but nobody can get too far away from him. It’s horses for courses for those lesser players. It’s only the genuinely gifted defenders that will play, come what may, provided they can make it onto the ground.
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:45 am

lanstro wrote:

That's been our game style for the past few weeks. Can't see it changing now. Wink

Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:32 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
qldmagpie67 wrote:

Pies by 34

I've come round to the thinking that it's not about Murray regaining form in the VFL but more about Murray's run and carry style of game not suiting Buckley's game plan, which is more predictable movement from our half backline to our goal line. The positive about the way Murray plays is that it breaks up the defensive setups of the zones the opposition sets up. The downside is that our own half backs and forwards have to be able to predict where Murray is taking the ball and if they can't do that, it lowers the effectiveness of Murray being in the team. Manic movement of the ball out of defence achieves nothing. It reminds me a bit of what Marley Williams was doing in the team before he got traded. In my view Murray has a lot of work to do in the VFL before he regains his spot. Meanwhile Appleby is performing well in the side and will get get better as he fixes his defensive errors.

I think opposition teams are putting more work into Murray and he is being exposed. It’s pretty easy to nullify a one trick pony. He started as a bit of an outlet player for us, then the opposition respond by dragging him back and in later weeks the opposition have rushed up on him rather than sat back and held their positions. It also took opposition clubs two weeks to work out that he doesn’t like to step back off the mark when he takes possession of the ball.

He needs to reinvent himself a little by learning when to hold up with the ball now and again and also to lower his eyes and look for a weighted kick to advantage.
He has great pace and is pretty good in one on ones. If he works hard and improves his composure, he will be fine. His pathway was via the NEAFL but he is no different to any TAC draftee. They all come into the game with deficiencies to work on. We should also remember, he only started playing as HBF half way through the 2017 season.
Sam Murray with a bit of tweaking, is an automatic selection, regardless of the ground we play on. He’s currently a work in progress.

Last edited by Pies2016 on Tue May 29, 2018 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 4:11 pm

Early prognosis AFL injury list 29th May

Daniel Wells is available for the clash with Fremantle at the MCG on Sunday and Maynard could also return, but Varcoe appears certain to be sidelined with another hamstring issue and Sier's bid for an AFL debut has been put on hold. Fasolo will spend a considerable time on the sidelines and the Pies will also be conservative with hamstrung trio Elliott, Moore and Smith. The club continues to monitor Kirby's heart issue. - Ben Collins

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:36 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I actually think it’s more straight forward than that. Murray’s style did not suit Etihad because of the confined spaces. You break a line and there’s the next line, ready to tackle. By contrast, it suits Scharenberg perfectly, because he’s slow as a coach but nobody can get too far away from him. It’s horses for courses for those lesser players. It’s only the genuinely gifted defenders that will play, come what may, provided they can make it onto the ground.

I tend to agree, plus after a great start he'd been running into trouble.

A couple of weeks in the VFL to reset and I think he'll be back.

MagpieDynasty Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:54 pm

So I've managed to incorporate a work trip to Melb which happens to coincide with the Pies/Freo match at the MCG on Sunday - Little bit chuffed with that Smile

Question: Do the Magpie Army still make the group trek from the Westpac/Lexus/Holden Centre? Can I make myself at home for a pre-game bevvy and join the Magpie Army march thereafter?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:15 pm

MagpieDynasty wrote:
So I've managed to incorporate a work trip to Melb which happens to coincide with the Pies/Freo match at the MCG on Sunday - Little bit chuffed with that Smile

Question: Do the Magpie Army still make the group trek from the Westpac/Lexus/Holden Centre? Can I make myself at home for a pre-game bevvy and join the Magpie Army march thereafter?

Dunno about any march, but the VFL team is playing Richmond at Vic park on the Sunday, you could make it a double header.

ROB 

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:34 pm

qldmagpie67 wrote:

Totally agree with these assessments - Langdon is just f'n hopeless at times.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 4 of 12   

Jump to: