Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Ireland - referendum on Abortion

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:08 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

stui magpie wrote:

For mine, there's as many women out there who aren't fit to be parents as men, so it's fair that everyone gets a say.

I have my doubts on that. Though no doubt many men are better parents than many women, I suspect (on the basis of no real evidence that rises above anecdotal) that the population means would be significantly different.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:43 am

pietillidie wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
I’ve always felt that abortion is a matter which is probably best voted upon by women rather than men, but any abortion seems a terrible failure. I still can’t escape the feeling that abortion is the killing of a human life which is in process. But if the group of people who are biologically designed to nurture children in their body see abortion as preferable to doing so, I cannot hope to change it.

Fair enough. Having an aversion to abortion, and increasingly so as a foetus develops, would seem eminently reasonable.

At the same time, allowing for that aversion to be overridden on the basis of the extremity of the physical and psychological processes involved, their monumental lifetime implications, and the primacy of the person concerned, is also eminently reasonable.

Yes, I think that’s right. A living human being with memories, fears and hopes cannot quite be subordinated to a human being that’s not yet sentient and will probably not have any consciousness of, or desire for existence. The only thing I can feel certain of, though, is that an unwanted pregnancy has no winners.

I was deeply depressed to see the ABC celebrating the result so openly, showing the tears of joy and fist-pumping of the “winners” and giving no place to the tears of sincere sorrow no doubt being shed by the “losers”. Do we have no sense at all, any more, of the inherent gravity of such an act, and the moral weight it bears ? Sad reflection and grateful acceptance of the result by its advocates is surely enough, rather than triumphal celebration endorsed by our publicly-funded broadcaster.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:46 pm

Notwithstanding Mugwump's comments above, I was astounded to recently discover that Abortion is currently a crime in both NSW and New Zealand.

Both are now introducing legislation to fix that.

Firstly, NZ

https://www.smh.com.au/world/oceania/the-time-is-right-abortion-bill-passes-first-read-in-new-zealand-20190808-p52fag.html

Quote:
Wellington: A bill that would decriminalise abortion and allow women to self-refer to abortion clinics within the first 20 weeks of gestation has found a resounding majority at its first reading in New Zealand's Parliament.

Ninety-four MPs voted for it and 23 voted against it.

Seems like sensible legislation, I just can't understand why it's taken so long.

In NSW on the other hand, must be something in the Sydney water.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/nsw/nsw-lower-house-votes-to-decriminalise-abortion-20190808-p52fbu.html

Quote:
Abortion is set to be decriminalised in NSW, after lower house MPs voted to remove terminations from the state's criminal code.

The bill to decriminalise abortion passed 59 to 31, but it created a split within the Liberals, with many of the party's 35 MPs opposed the bill.

At first glance you think 59 to 31 is way too close, but there's a few jarring things in this legislation.

Quote:
The final vote came after almost three days of debate, with more than a dozen amendments put forward, many of which centred on the bill's regulation of abortions after 22 weeks.

The bill, which was co-sponsored by 15 MPs from across the political divide, allows abortion on request for women up to 22 weeks' gestation performed by a registered doctor. Women beyond 22 weeks would need the consent of two doctors.

22 weeks is cutting it too fine for mine, I prefer the 20 week threshold

Then there's this.

Quote:
But amendments by Liberal MP Tanya Davies to ban sex-selection abortions, to lower the threshold for late term abortions from 22 to 20 weeks, and to require doctors ensure women are offered counselling were voted down.

Sorry, not happy Jan, there may be some circumstances where it's legit to want to terminate a pregnancy based on the sex of the fetus, but not many. That's not right IMO and is open to abuse. Don't like it.

However, if I was one of the MP's I'd be inclined to just get the legislation in so it's decriminalised and haggle over fine details later. You can always seek to amend legislation if there's evidence something is NQR.

The fact that Ireland, a country for so long conservative and held in sway by religion was able to legalise abortion while both socially progressive NSW and NZ considered it a crime is an absolute WTF for me. Thank geebus it seems some common sense has finally prevailed.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:37 pm

I broadly agree with you here, Stui, though the sex-selective abortion thing doesn't really bother me so much. Yes, sex-selective abortion comes from a bad motivation, but if our view is that the lives of pre-22-week-old foetuses are ethically inconsequential (and there is reasonable basis for this) then it shouldn't really matter why it's being done. On those grounds, I support state-funded early-term abortion on demand totally.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:49 pm

It's not the abortion per say, but the consequence if a number of people of cultural groups who value male children more than female, decide to abort female fetuses.

Abortion is still a big decision and making the decision to terminate a pregnancy just because you don't want a particular sex child, jars with me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2   

Jump to: