Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tommy Robinson arrested and jailed

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:20 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Tommy Robinson
1 hr ·
Tommy just called his family from Prison to ask what the outcome was - he said prisoners were shouting that he was going home but he did not want to believe them. He is over the moon!
They had a family holiday booked and paid for this Friday which he can now go on and spend some much-needed time with his wife and children.
He asked us to pass on his heartfelt thanks to every single one of you who have been campaigning for his release and supporting him. Today the Royal Courts of Justice validated what everyone of you has been fighting for - the fact that the conviction back in Leeds was in fact illegal! #TommyIsFree
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:21 pm

[Sigh]. There is really no point engaging, is there? Anyway, I said I'd come back with the appeal judgment and I've done that. Make of it what you will. I'm in a different court of appeal tomorrow, so I can't banter about this.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:27 pm

I'm not disputing or arguing the dry legal standpoint you're taking, just giving the news from Tommy's perspective. The whole process was fishy as **** and that's been proven. Now he can hopefully face a fair trial rather than a kangaroo court.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 1:35 am

My comment was in response to Pi. I didn’t realise you’d posted.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:05 am

Pies4shaw wrote:

I appreciate the time you have taken to source and post this, P4S. It is interesting factual content, which can be hard to find in this case.

Mr Robinson's heart may be in the right place in some areas and the wrong place in others, but he needs to learn to operate within the laws of the land. Prejudicing a trial is a dumb idea on many levels. That may be beyond his capacity to understand, but let’s hope he improves.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:34 am

As P4S is busy I'll do the linking to the secret barrister:
https://thesecretbarrister.com/2018/08/01/the-tommy-robinson-judgment-what-does-it-all-mean/
TLDR: "I was wrong. However, Robinson's supporters are racist plebs, so I'm morally superior which kind of means I'm still right."
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 10:16 am

Mugwump wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

I appreciate the time you have taken to source and post this, P4S. It is interesting factual content, which can be hard to find in this case.

Mr Robinson's heart may be in the right place in some areas and the wrong place in others, but he needs to learn to operate within the laws of the land. Prejudicing a trial is a dumb idea on many levels. That may be beyond his capacity to understand, but let’s hope he improves.

Going forward, the interesting question will be the outcome of the rehearing. As I read the Court of Appeal’s guidance on the sentencing considerations in this case (which, by convention, will frame the approach of the Judge at the next hearing), they’ve identified this as a serious contempt and the considerations listed almost inevitably lead to a custodial sentence. Since Tommy has already admitted that he breached the publication order, it probably all comes down to the next plea in mitigation of sentence. Courts generally don’t like being political footballs, so I take it that the Court anticipates that those remarks will assist in framing a plea bargain between the A-G and the defendant. I see a genuine prospect of a deal whereby he admits the same contempt in substance (albeit that the Court has identified procedural defects in relation to the clarity of the allegations) and is resentenced without further time being served. Of course, there is also some prospect that he’ll prefer to force a sentencing hearing and allow himself to be “martyred”, in which case expect another 2 to 3 months in prison (he’s served 2 and the Court pointed out that contemnors are typically released when they’ve served half their time (so, in his case, that would have been another 3 or 4 months).

Anyway, the Court’s judgment should serve to quell the whining about conspiracies.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:09 pm

Cool
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:11 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Going forward, the interesting question will be the outcome of the rehearing. As I read the Court of Appeal’s guidance on the sentencing considerations in this case (which, by convention, will frame the approach of the Judge at the next hearing), they’ve identified this as a serious contempt and the considerations listed almost inevitably lead to a custodial sentence. Since Tommy has already admitted that he breached the publication order, it probably all comes down to the next plea in mitigation of sentence. Courts generally don’t like being political footballs, so I take it that the Court anticipates that those remarks will assist in framing a plea bargain between the A-G and the defendant. I see a genuine prospect of a deal whereby he admits the same contempt in substance (albeit that the Court has identified procedural defects in relation to the clarity of the allegations) and is resentenced without further time being served. Of course, there is also some prospect that he’ll prefer to force a sentencing hearing and allow himself to be “martyred”, in which case expect another 2 to 3 months in prison (he’s served 2 and the Court pointed out that contemnors are typically released when they’ve served half their time (so, in his case, that would have been another 3 or 4 months).

Anyway, the Court’s judgment should serve to quell the whining about conspiracies.

Yes, sentenced to time served seems broadly reasonable at this point, given that no one has (probably) been harmed. Still, it would not surprise me to see him try to milk it as long as he can : martyrdom purchased via a few more months in jail at this point is likely to be less costly than a further similar escapade which may put him away for far longer - long enough to cause him to slip out of the public eye. I assume he understands the implications of contempt, and he is doing so willingly.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:01 pm

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/tommy-robinson-farright-activist-compares-prison-to-guantanamo-bay-and-says-he-was-spat-on-by-a3902876.html
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:26 pm

Wokko wrote:
https://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/tommy-robinson-farright-activist-compares-prison-to-guantanamo-bay-and-says-he-was-spat-on-by-a3902876.html

Sorry, but it's a prison not a holiday camp. Inmates spat on him? Boo hoo. If he lost 40 pound then he must have been badly overweight.

Whatever sympathy I had for him, I'm rapidly losing

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

He's the only fellow, ever, to have an unhappy time in prison. People usually want to get in because it's such fun.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

Snap, Stui.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:41 pm

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:46 pm

There is a short series of four episodes playing on Channel 4 here in the Uk, which shows life in HMP Durham. It demonstrates pretty clearly that prison is a very unpleasant place for those who are not hardened criminals or bent on becoming so. It is also very unpleasant for those with any notoriety. For the majority, however, it is a rather sinister game of cat and mouse between prisoners and staff, where the former see prison as an extension of the world outside, full of drugs, intimidation, hierarchy and generally inconsequential indiscipline. The staff seem to be mostly reduced to ineffectual matiness in order to stave off chaos, as inmates suffer no serious consequences for drugs, contraband, or violence. A worker in a corporation suffers serious (for him or her) consequences if they break rules; prisoners, very little.

So I suspect Robinson’s time in prison probably was especially unpleasant. Our prisons, supposedly nicer places now where rehabilitation can occur, are textbook cases of how naive intentions turn into foul depravity when they meet a hard reality. Some circles of hell are best guarded by people who are very pure in their intentions and think awfully well of themselves .

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 12 of 20   

Jump to: