Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Tommy Robinson arrested and jailed

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
3.14159 Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:02 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread is more of the same moronic crap from all the usual suspects!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/fox-news-accident-graphic-airs-mistake-least-trusted-network-table-a8296981.html
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:03 pm

Thanks for sharing, see you again in a few more months.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:36 pm

3.14159 wrote:
This thread is more of the same moronic crap from all the usual suspects!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/fox-news-accident-graphic-airs-mistake-least-trusted-network-table-a8296981.html

Your post is completely irrelevant to the discussion.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:31 pm

I think his point was that there is no genuine topic for discussion, just fake news, which you were promulgating in your OP. That's 100% correct, I would have thought.
Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:58 pm

Pies4shaw wrote:
I think his point was that there is no genuine topic for discussion, just fake news, which you were promulgating in your OP. That's 100% correct, I would have thought.

Is Tommy Robinson not in jail? Was he not reporting outside a courthouse? Was the trial not a gang of Muslim paedophiles?

I posted something and left the topic open to discussion and most people did just that. You just go on sneering and being out of touch, it's what you do best.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:50 pm

Hi everyone, let's try to remain civil and focused on the topic.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:35 pm

Wokko wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

Is Tommy Robinson not in jail? Was he not reporting outside a courthouse? Was the trial not a gang of Muslim paedophiles?

I posted something and left the topic open to discussion and most people did just that. You just go on sneering and being out of touch, it's what you do best.

He's in jail for contempt of court. This always happens summarily. He didn't get jailed for "reporting". He got jailed for committing a contempt.

The trial was, of course, of some persons accused of certain crimes. Like you (see bold above), he didn't seem to appreciate the distinction between being accused of something and being found guilty of it. That is how he found himself committing a criminal contempt of court. For the second time in 12 months, it seems.

Once might be unlucky. Twice is stupid. He's not a cause. He's a genuine object of derision.

See also http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4852297.htm
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:05 pm

While it was perhaps beyond the scope of the segment, I feel like I would have liked to see Barry discuss the balance between contempt laws and a free press in more depth after all, just last week, he was expressing displeasure at the media blackout on the super-injunction that shall not be named. Unless one believes in either complete freedom of the press or complete judicial discretion (and it seems that Barry falls somewhere between), I think its worth sketching out exactly where the line should be drawn and thats a discussion thats very much within Media Watchs remit.
watt price tully Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:20 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Wokko wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:

He's in jail for contempt of court. This always happens summarily. He didn't get jailed for "reporting". He got jailed for committing a contempt.

The trial was, of course, of some persons accused of certain crimes. Like you (see bold above), he didn't seem to appreciate the distinction between being accused of something and being found guilty of it. That is how he found himself committing a criminal contempt of court. For the second time in 12 months, it seems.

Once might be unlucky. Twice is stupid. He's not a cause. He's a genuine object of derision

See also http://www.abc.net.au/mediawatch/transcripts/s4852297.htm

Correct weight. It was absolutely fake news and nothing to see here. Simply contempt of court.

(I don't think I like the violet font though)

Mind you when I first saw the name I thought of TRB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar_saHB60qU&list=RDar_saHB60qU&t=34

Pi Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 1:48 pm

All things being equal and consistent and judging from this;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5802745/Surge-extremists-freed-Britains-streets.html

Its likely Robinson will be free in 6.5 months after serving half the sentence, maybe even sooner with sentence appeal.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:15 pm

Well there's a lot of fake news about Robinson.
Here's my favourite piece.

Terrorist Darren Osborne drove a van into a group of worshippers outside an English mosque. The British media then reported on the links between Robinson and Osborne.
The Times headline was "Far-right leaders contacted Darren Osborne before Finsbury Park mosque attack" .
The Independent revealed that Robinson had sent direct messages to Osborne just days before the attack:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/finsbury-park-attack-trial-live-darren-osborne-court-muslims-mosque-van-latest-news-updates-a8173496.html

Robinson personally contacting Osborne before an act of terrorism? Wow. Pretty damning stuff.
Of course, that wasn't what happened.
Osborne was subscribed to a mailing list and had received automated emails from Robinson.

So here, I think, is part of the problem.
The mainstream media, through it's own actions, has become so discredited amongst sections of the community that it's allowed "fake" news, from both the left and the right, to promulgate.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:07 pm

The Independent can be a bit of a suspect publication in terms of its accuracy, I have to say kind of a Daily Mail for centre-left readers. I think there are better publications out there that have earned their reputations for fact-checking and careful reporting, notwithstanding their capacity to occasionally get swept away by hysteria (did anyone mention The New York Times?).
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:18 pm

The best part of that article is that the accused raged "against Lily Allen".

It is not "fake news" to report the prosecution's opening. It may be that the prosecution was gilding the lily (no pen intunded) but if the prosecution did say that "Mr Robinson and Jayda Fransen, the deputy leader of Britain First, sent Mr Osborne messages days before the attack", as the article states (in terms), then the headline (which we must take on trust, since it is no longer the headline that appears when one opens that link) is apt. Sadly, Counsel (or even, God forbid, Senior Counsel) in a matter do occasionally open their case at a level that some (of the more circumspect) of us might say was an over-reach. That's why, after the opening, we have evidence to see whether the prosecution's opening is sustainable.

The report says that "Mr Robinson and Jayda Fransen, the deputy leader of Britain First, sent Mr Osborne messages days before the attack" is what the jury heard. Either it was said in front of the jury, or it wasn't. If it wasn't the journalist got it wrong. If it was, then the prosecutor said it and it can be reported. It is not the reporter's job to "fact check" whether what the prosecution says in opening to the jury was accurate - that's the purpose of having a trial and letting a jury decide. The journalist's responsibility is to (do their best to) report accurately that which was said in Court.

There is a whole separate discussion to be had about whether journalists should ever be allowed to report on Court proceedings, in the running - especially given the extraordinary potential for besmirching reputations. when it's reported inaccurately. That probably isn't a matter of paramount significance in a trial like the one the subject of the report.
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:21 pm

What would be the reporter's job to fact check whether what the prosecution says in opening to the jury was accurate - that's the purpose of having a trial and letting a jury decide?
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:25 pm

Stop sneering, Hal. It's unbecoming.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 6 of 20   

Jump to: