Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies destroy Dockers - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:36 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Collingwood 21.12.138
Fremantle 12.5.77

Goals: H-E 6, Mihocek 4, Phillips 3, Thomas 2, Daics, De Goey, Pendles, Stevo, Maynard, Cox 1

Disposals: Sidey 37, Phillips 36, Treloar 34, Crisp, Pendles 30, Adams 28, Maynard 27, Langdon 22, Shaz 21, Thomas 20, Grundy 18, Levi 13, De Goey 15, Mayne 14, Wells 13, Appleby 12, H-E, Mihocek 11

Tackles: Grundy, Maynard 8

D/E: Mihocek 100%, Langdon 95.5, H-E 90.9, Crisp 86.7 Maynard 81.5,

AF Points: Maynard 144, Phillips 143, Sidey, Grundy 131, Crisp 114, Treloar 112, Pendles 107, Thomas 101, Adams 100.

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:38 pm

I tipped us to win by 22 points, so I take a 61 pt thrashing anyday, great win, we did miss Howe, and be glad when Moore gets back, and oneday, Jamie Elliott. yeh, good solid win, and young Phillips and WHE are stars, real stars now, and big Texan Mason, gets better each game. !

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:50 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
woodys_world69 wrote:
Maynard makes a huge difference in the team...

as expected and what hes only like 20?

20? This is his 4th or 5th season. 22 or 23, surely.

21. Will turn 22 in September.

uncanny 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:08 pm

plenty of gols after lots of run and gun. looking forward to tomorrow week to tàke on the dees. selection headaches after today youd think. im liking what im seeing...
winpies Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:11 pm

Very happy with the win, but the last qtr fade out was disappointing but only because I would have liked us to finish them off.

Quietly confident about next week against Melbourne but it will be a tough test.

Great game by WHE and Mihoceck.

Tom Phillips continues to build his reputation. Was pleasantly surprised to see his stats match Gaff's from WCE.

Monco Matt Aries

Do it to THEM before THEY do it to YOU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:15 pm

I expected a 5 goal win against the Freo reserves, so a 10 goal win was unexpected but a pleasant surprise, should have been 100 points really. Tick the box and move on. We are a game clear inside the 8, when was the last time that was the case?

Massive game this week. This is a big test. We ultimately failed against Richmond, now the Dees are here. The #3 contender currently, everything rolls against us on The Big Freeze ex. Queen's Birthday game (who remembers that anymore?). It is Collingwood vs Melbourne, The AFL, The Umpires, Neale, MND and the whole planet.....how did it come to this? You are too nice Ed, we need this game back, make it ours again. So, can we cause an upset against all odds? Which Melbourne and which Collingwood team will turn up. I am hoping we take this to the line and not fade away like the Tigers game. We need to come of age. If not now then when.

All in all it was a good win today, but the opposition was meek. Was enjoyable to have a relaxing game to watch over a few beers for a change but we have to understand that Freo just were not up for the fight and rolled over...I doubt Melbourne will. Looking forward to the next one.

MONCO: Your life.
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:38 pm

The last quarter was a bit disappointing, would have been great to have a real percentage booster given how clustered the ladder is right now.

This is a team we should have smashed and I'm glad we did, but I figured it would be reasonably close.

Jeremy Howe will be a much needed in. The entire defence just looks so much better when he's intercept marking everything in sight. It will be interesting to see if Reid comes back in. Surely he can't replace Mihocek on today's performance? Maybe he could move to defence at least for next week against Hogan and McDonald? Then again, he might not even be ready.

Positives: Grundy continues to be a gun, Phillips continues his elevation, Adams showing his 2017 form, the usual from Treloar and Sidey, great run from Crisp, improvement from Daicos, strong contributions from Thomas and Maynard, a great debut from Mihocek and great work from WHE.

Negatives: A surprising number of passengers for such an easy win. Wells, Stephenson and De Goey were barely sighted (De Goey needs to get much better at one grabbings marks if he's going to play forward), Mayne and Shaz had their worst games for a while, Appleby isn't an AFL caliber player yet and I think Dunn has unfortunately just about reached the end of the line.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:01 pm

I thought most of the match was largely flat despite the 61 point win. From the perspective of most supporters, it felt like a case of just turning up and expecting a win against weak opposition which is what transpired in the end.

The good sign is that we're beating the teams that we should be beating, but the game against Melbourne will be a good test as to where we stand in the context of the wider competition.

Phillips is finally getting the plaudits he deserves. An absolute gun and bordering on A-grade player. It's amazing we got him low in the 2015 draft at pick 58.

Good debut by Brody Mihocek with 4 goals, and I think going forward he may be a better option than Ben Reid who's slowing down and coming toward the latter stages of his career. Hoskin-Elliott is turning into a goal kicking machine.

There's bigger fish to fry of course, but to be 7-4 at this stage is a great effort. Hopefully we can sustain this form in the second half of the season.

jatsad 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 11:47 pm

Raw Hammer wrote:
woodys_world69 wrote:

20 September 1996 (age 21 years). Started as a late 17 year old

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:07 am

jatsad wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
woodys_world69 wrote:

20 September 1996 (age 21 years). Started as a late 17 year old

Wow. He was excellent today. Had a poor season before being injured, it’s almost as if the lay off freshened him up. Really solid hit out. I was impressed. And he crunched Fyfe a couple of times too, which was good to see. Added a bit of hardness and run we were lacking in recent weeks.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:37 am

Our defence looks so much stronger, having both Greenwood and Maynard down there to deliver bone-crunching tackles.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:39 am

Buckley's Press Conference:

First time you've kicked 20 goals or more since ANZAC Day 2016 and there's been a lot of talk about your forward set up so how pleasing is it to have such a weight of scoring today?
Quote:
"I thought it would have been longer than that to be honest, so you don't see 20 goals in a game as often as you used to, but our offensive power after quarter time was pretty strong. We scored relative to our entries pretty well, so that was a positive part of the game".

Were you happy to keep the Dockers to 5 goals for the first three quarters of the game after a pretty strong defensive effort?
Quote:
"Yeah, I'm pretty dirty with the last 15 [minutes] at the moment. If you're talking about defence, you want to finish the game off, but it was a shootout in the whole of the last quarter which is not the way we want to play the game. The first three quarters were really strong defensively".

Overall, you focus on the immediate and I'm sure you would have given them a bit of a burst post-match?
Quote:
"No, we haven't spoken yet to the team. Just take a couple of deep breaths mate and we will talk about the positive stuff because there was a lot of positive stuff in there. It's an opportunity to ask what our best footy looks like and whether we want to do that all the time, because quite clearly we have the capacity to. Three out, three in. All those three blokes played their role really well. Regardless of personnel we have a real solid belief in the way we play the game and our understanding of how we want to play it. When we do it, it looks pretty good. When we don't, we give any opposition a look so it's good its on our bat so to speak. We have a fair say in that and for the majority of today it was a really positive say".

How well-placed are you coming into this massive game against Melbourne?
Quote:
"Okay. We stocktake every week I suppose to understand what we've done well and where we can improve and to lock that away. We've got some boys in pretty good form who have had some really solid first halves to the season. You don't take that granted when your players are in form because it's hard earned and the opposition don't want that to continue so they put tactics in place. We've got some boys who have put together some really solid football and we've shown our best footy is pretty good. You're right about who we've played and who we've beaten and who we haven't and that is where the growth and opportunity is for us to continue to improve. Next week is against a side that I think is a top 4 side so it gives us an opportunity to test ourselves against one of the better teams of the comp at the moment and clearly one of the in form teams".

Do you feel like you've done that to this point? I know you've beaten Adelaide away which is a good win but you've lost to Richmond and Geelong, so do you feel like you have a scalp to frank your position in the competition?
Quote:
"We probably don't measure it the same way the way it's measured externally. We've played some good footy in our losses, and some poor footy in our wins. We know how we want to go about it, so regardless of the opposition, when we've played good footy against good opposition we've stood up, but we just need to learn to play it for longer. That's my job, the coaching panel's job and it's the players job to be able to execute it for four quarters and you need to be able to do that against the better sides of the competition to win those games. We are yet to prove that, but we're looking forward to the challenge".

What do you think of the forward set up in light of what they piled on today? There has been ongoing talk about it, and it seems their defence worked so hard and you cracked them eventually?
Quote:
"Yeah, that third quarter was where we got a few things on our terms. I thought our pressure increased as the game wore on. The third quarter was over 200, so it was a really solid template in regards to pressure on the opposition. We like the ball in our front half for the majority of it. The first 10 minutes was turnover after turnover, but we didn't go back to score. You just persist when you've got the ball in your front half when you've got the ball in the front half you're more likely to score. Eventually, the dam wall will burst and we were able to score pretty well off the back of that. It was a prototype quarter for us to be honest. I think every side would like to play it that way where you have the ball in the front half. It's easier to defend out of your front 50 then it is out of your back half. The forward line is in part responsible for that, but our mids and backs were in good shape also".

What do you put Hoskin-Elliott's great form down to?
Quote:
"He's still developing as a player. I think there's no doubt that we're understanding of how we want to play the roles within it. Our ball use is more creative. We've showed some pretty creative use in the last couple of years, by changing angles and shifting the ball. We were probably going forward a little bit more this year, and when we have gone forward, it's not actually only in our offence but it's set ourselves up defensively as well. We've made some slight shifts to the way we move it and I think that helps a guy like Will [Hoskin-Elliott]. It's a little bit more predictable to the boys in front of it. We're definitely playing six in front of the ball more often this year than last year, so that's been another shift that has been advantageous for us, so I think Will is benefiting from all of that and the fact he's playing some pretty good footy".

The debut of Brody Mihocek couldn't have gone much better today?
Quote:
"He was impressive. It started with his contest. The first 20 minutes I reckon he was running around like a chicken with its head cut off; he was excited; a kid in a lolly shop [*laughs]. It's easy to forget. He's travelled a fair journey. The story is amazing and he's got his opportunity. Really, he showed us what he's showed us in the last couple of weeks in that role. You would be a brave man to predict that he would hit the scoreboard the way he hit it, but his contest and some of his back with the flights to create ground ball for his teammates in that role was exceptional. It's a fair debut isn't it?"

Their midfield was missing a few names but it still had Fyfe, Walters and Neale, so the challenge was still there, so how pleased were you with the job your guns did today through the middle?
Quote:
"They were rotating quite a bit through the middle. We gave up 5 goals from centre bounce, 3 of them late so that's why I was a little bit sour at the beginning of the presser. I thought Pendles' job on Fyfe was first class. He looked after him in stoppage and in transition and I think he only had the 8 touches at half time and Pendles had a fair impact himself. He probably got away. Fyfe had 10 in the last, but he only had 14 by three quarter time so that in itself was pretty impressive effort given he's been one of the in-form players in the comp. It probably shows you just as much that you don't need a hard tag to look after a player if you're playing the type of football that you want to around the ball. Our midfield has been pretty strong. We'd like to get De Goey through there more, and we saw that more in the second half today. Treloar, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Adams and Thomas have all been in pretty good form in their jobs through in the middle and Brodie [Grundy] is a significant weapon for us".

How much does it affect your planning when a player like Sandilands goes out? He's a huge player for them around the stoppages so does it affect your planning?
Quote:
"We sort of knew earlier enough in the week. If a player like Sandilands goes out in a late change; a lot of planning you would do around stoppage would go out the window. We knew pretty early. They still had a ruckman; Jones and Apeness. Two guys, two big bodies that were clearly designed to bang into Brodie as often as they possibly could to try and wear him down. We've got our own plans and we've our own work to do around stoppage to try and take advantage of our Brodie's ruck dominance or hit out dominance. He will get a great test next week. Our midfield will get a great test next week around clearance and also around spread".

Are you looking forward to the slide next week?
Quote:
"It's obviously the fight MND cause and what Neale Daniher is doing is prevalent and will get a lot of air time this week and rightfully so. I went to a wedding a couple of weeks ago, where I met a lady at the engagement party five months earlier and she lost her husband to MND only a month earlier and he was diagnosed at the same time as Neale. It's a disease as Neale has very eloquently described as a "beast". We want to know a little bit more about it so I think the support of the coaches is a small part in raising awareness and raising funds and going down the slide and what they've been able to do with the big freeze over the last 4 years has been first class. Small price to pay and a small part to play in what is something that is gathering momentum. Neale is not going to see the end of it, but he's definitely been pretty strong in getting the momentum of it".

Which of the injured players are a chance to return next week?
Quote:
"I'm not sure at this stage. We'll see how the dust settles with our VFL. We would look to get more guys back, but we've been pretty transparent in most of those guys that are of profile will be back after bye. As you can see, we get a Mihocek coming up out of that role and it's not necessarily about the names, it's about the blokes who come in and play a role for us. We will pick our best available 22 and that's our best 22 on the weekend".

A clean bill of health today?
Quote:
"Yeah relatively, but I don't want to go too early. We had 22 finish the game which hasn't happened that consistently".

What about Howe and Reid?
Quote:
"We anticipate that Howe should be alright. Reid will be touch and go".

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-06-03/like-a-kid-in-a-lolly-shop

duggieboy 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:49 am

Thanks Jezza, this is a very informative read & for us overseas bods its great to have it posted like this.

Cheers bro
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:09 am

Duff Soviet Union wrote:
The last quarter was a bit disappointing, would have been great to have a real percentage booster given how clustered the ladder is right now.

This is a team we should have smashed and I'm glad we did, but I figured it would be reasonably close.

Jeremy Howe will be a much needed in. The entire defence just looks so much better when he's intercept marking everything in sight. It will be interesting to see if Reid comes back in. Surely he can't replace Mihocek on today's performance? Maybe he could move to defence at least for next week against Hogan and McDonald? Then again, he might not even be ready.

Positives: Grundy continues to be a gun, Phillips continues his elevation, Adams showing his 2017 form, the usual from Treloar and Sidey, great run from Crisp, improvement from Daicos, strong contributions from Thomas and Maynard, a great debut from Mihocek and great work from WHE.

Negatives: A surprising number of passengers for such an easy win. Wells, Stephenson and De Goey were barely sighted (De Goey needs to get much better at one grabbings marks if he's going to play forward), Mayne and Shaz had their worst games for a while, Appleby isn't an AFL caliber player yet and I think Dunn has unfortunately just about reached the end of the line.

My only explanation for De Goey was it was freezing cold in the stands watching the game. It must have been cold for the players as well. A lot of players weren't holding onto marks including De Goey so maybe the finger joints of players were so stiff they were unable to wrap their hands around the ball.
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:26 am

RudeBoy wrote:
Our defence looks so much stronger, having both Greenwood and Maynard down there to deliver bone-crunching tackles.

I read Buckley's comment that it's easier to defend in the forward 50 than in the back 50, but in some ways I think it demoralises the opposition when they have it in their forward 50 and can't score. Having hard nuts like Greenwood, Maynard, Crisp and Dunn help that cause. Appleby is another potential hard nut coming along nicely. Scharenberg and Howe are the cream of our defence (and Reid if we choose to play him back). Break down the capacity of the opposition to score when they have the ball in their forward line. Then have the ball shoot back to our forward line in a chain of passes resulting in a goal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5   

Jump to: