Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

We haven't beaten ANYONE in the eight! Until Now!!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:16 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll see what happens after Monday.

Tho not in the 8, would also love another crack at GWS now.

Donny Aries

Formerly known as MAGFAN8.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:22 pm

E, would you rather we had lost our 4 matches to teams BELOW us ?

It's a game. Enjoy it. Very Happy
Pep 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:19 pm

i find it a bit funny that i have seen our supporters say our 7-4 means nothing when in seasons past we would be 4-7 sitting 12th wondering where our season has gone... I do think we are a Ben Brown or Jesse Hogan type player from being a genuine good team, maybe a Tom Lynch will be the difference?
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:19 pm

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
^ true, but I was at the Geelong and Richmond games. In neither game did we lose “badly”. We were well in both games half way through the last quarter and ran out of legs after losing key players to injury quite early on. You can argue that the final margin to Richmond was a bad loss, but that was not the prevailing view of most unbiased commentators after the game.

If we win this Monday it will be a season defining event, because it’ll show that we have the goods to play top four - but if we lose, I do not think we are out of contention for a 5-8 slot. I still think we are a reasonable smokey for a flag, especially if we can get a late season out of Jamie Elliott like we had last year. A forward line of JDG, Hoskin, Jamie Elliott and Wells/Varcoe, with Cox and Mihocek/Reid as targets, is a daunting prospect.

Only if we learn to play consistent football for 4 quarters of the game. We haven't done that this year (maybe Essendon the exception). It doesn't matter who comes into the team if we can't play for 4 quarters.

Bit Hard to beat Good Teams when we play about 2 Qtrs of Good Football a Game

Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:20 pm

Cam wrote:
This is similar to Richmond last year. Time, as usual, will tell.

Think we have Simmlar Record to them from this time last season

foreigner Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:28 pm

Richmond? Can only win in Melbourne - Melbourne bullies
Dave The Man Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:36 pm

foreigner wrote:

and

No Martin = No Richmond

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:00 am

BucksIsFutureCoach wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
^ true, but I was at the Geelong and Richmond games. In neither game did we lose “badly”. We were well in both games half way through the last quarter and ran out of legs after losing key players to injury quite early on. You can argue that the final margin to Richmond was a bad loss, but that was not the prevailing view of most unbiased commentators after the game.

If we win this Monday it will be a season defining event, because it’ll show that we have the goods to play top four - but if we lose, I do not think we are out of contention for a 5-8 slot. I still think we are a reasonable smokey for a flag, especially if we can get a late season out of Jamie Elliott like we had last year. A forward line of JDG, Hoskin, Jamie Elliott and Wells/Varcoe, with Cox and Mihocek/Reid as targets, is a daunting prospect.

Only if we learn to play consistent football for 4 quarters of the game. We haven't done that this year (maybe Essendon the exception). It doesn't matter who comes into the team if we can't play for 4 quarters.

Yes, I think that is true. I think we played four quarters vs Freo, too, though - junk time goals in a match when you are ahead by 80 points really don’t matter. You have to play four quarters when the game is on the line, and I think we are getting there. But time will tell. I am increasingly positive - we have a sound defensive structure, a varied and dangerous attack before the (hopefully) A-grader return of Elliott, and a premier midfield. Elliott may not come back, but he did last year and he was a difference maker when he did. His return, if it can happen, could make the puzzle very complete.

Streak Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:14 am

Jpies wrote:
I don't think you can read much into it. The sides that win end up in the 8, the sides that lose are out of it. We've won, and are above the sides we beat. It's not always that simple due to unexpected results, but this season seems to have had fewer major upsets than usual.

Also, having not beaten sides in the 8 is reflective of where we sit. If we had beaten sides in the 8, we would be higher up the ladder. If we had beaten Geelong we would be 'equal' 3rd (not counting for what our hypothetical percentage may have been). So 7th is a fair reflection of a team that can beat all of the sides outside the 8, but none/very few in it.

I really don't see why this is surprising?

Agree. The premise itself is suspect.

You can take from the fact we've not beaten anyone in the 8 that we're not a top side. I can take from that fact that the only reason those teams are in the 8 at all is because we haven't had the opportunity to shatter their confidence and send them spinning down the ladder. Doesn't make much sense. But, neither of those interpretations makes much sense.

More likely, it's a distortion caused by interpreting the fixture as an indicator of performance. The ladder is an indicator of performance, and that indicator says: we've won more games than we've lost. Period.

Let me ask you this, OP: would it be a good thing, or a bad thing, if we beat every team in the bottom half of the ladder once, beat most of them again, and finished the season on 16 wins and top spot on the ladder?
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:56 am

We've proven to me that we are a good, improving team. Injuries though have meant we've been a bit thin at the bottom talent wise - the 4 day break for ANZAC Day also seemed to take a lot out of us and sapped our momentum for a few weeks. That makes it tough to play 4 quarters, and on that: it's a big ask. A team that consistently plays 4 quarters is a Premiership team. The Eagles have been the most consistent team, the rest have all had their ups and downs and rarely play 4 quarters. It's a bit much to ask for that as a pass mark of a team that's looking to start a competitive run. When compared to other teams, both this year and last, we have been one of the most consistently competitive.

To this point our season has been on the positive side of expectations and I'll take that. The last 7 weeks are where it will be determined whether it elevates a long way above that. There are three things that I think can be a big boost: Elliott playing, Moore playing and Wells finding some fitness and form. Those three can make a huge difference to this team. Elliott and Wells did it last year and still have the capacity - for those who may have forgotten, check the stats in the drawn game against Adelaide last year, Wells was huge. And Moore is ready to take a step up, just needs the opportunity.

I'm not saying it's likely that Elliott and Wells can get to their level of last season, but the possibility is there. Moore I'm confident on. He'll be good if he can get a run of games and would be a huge boost either down back or up forward. To play him over a Mihocek or Reid is a big improvement. If all of those three things click into place along with everything else continuing as it has been, we can challenge the best.

What'sinaname Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:03 pm

Huge game.

Hard to tell where we are at. Great that we are beating up on the team below us, but we have to show something against those above us.

Still unsure whether we are a genuine finals team, or a middle of the table team.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:20 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
foreigner wrote:

and

No Martin = No Richmond

And Dave, if Rance goes down to for a few weeks, with Dusty, I reckon the Tigers are very, very much weakened, it only needs a few major outs, to bring the Tigger Train to big screeching halt. !! Surprised Razz

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Skids Cancer

Quitting drinking will be one of the best choices you make in your life.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:25 pm

What'sinaname wrote:
Huge game.

Hard to tell where we are at. Great that we are beating up on the team below us, but we have to show something against those above us.

Still unsure whether we are a genuine finals team, or a middle of the table team.

I know where we are, tomorrow, you will understand.

It may
seem hard, for some to fully understand, where we're at. Watch as we first, absorb the contest, and then, make it our own.
We will win this game... and win it well.

Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:40 am

What'sinaname wrote:
Huge game.

I reckon its all gonna come down to the round 22 game against Port; winner plays finals

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
Abdul The Bull 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:41 am

Skids wrote:

I know where we are, tomorrow, you will understand.

It may
seem hard, for some to fully understand, where we're at. Watch as we first, absorb the contest, and then, make it our own.
We will win this game... and win it well.

I agree, Skids.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3   

Jump to: