Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

It's only June BUT...

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BenBronx 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:56 am
Post subject: It's only June BUT...Reply with quote

I know it's only June but is anyone else starting to think that this could potentially be our year? Richmond finished 13th the year before winning the flag... Where did we finish last year? 13th!

Richmond were (7-5) after twelve games in their Premiership season. We are already 8-4 and after the bye should realistically be looking at being 11-5 in the next five weeks. Richmond were 10-6 after sixteen games. They ended up finishing with a record of 15-7 to finish 3rd on the ladder.

We still have players to return and have a team that really looks like it's starting to gel together this year. I'm extremely excited about our future. Do we dare to dream?
Duff Soviet Union 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:17 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Settle down.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:27 am

The fact that it is only June is what makes us a chance. And we are a chance, make no mistake. It would be foolish to feel that we are likely to.... but we are in contention.

I have seen this type of season before, in 1990 and 2010. The team that is dominant in rd 10 is often not the team that peaks in September. We could not beat Essendon in the H&A in 1990. By the half way mark of 2010 we seemed to be a notch below St Blunda and Geelong. By the end of the year, we had overtaken both of them because they were at peak, and we were growing - as I think we are growing now.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:20 am

Mugwump wrote:
The fact that it is only June is what makes us a chance. And we are a chance, make no mistake. It would be foolish to feel that we are likely to.... but we are in contention.

I have seen this type of season before, in 1990 and 2010. The team that is dominant in rd 10 is often not the team that peaks in September. We could not beat Essendon in the H&A in 1990. By the half way mark of 2010 we seemed to be a notch below St Blunda and Geelong. By the end of the year, we had overtaken both of them because they were at peak, and we were growing - as I think we are growing now.

It is a fantastic feeling at the moment. There's a real buzz with yesterday's performance. But, I can't help but feel that we supporters are getting a bit ahead of ourselves. Melbourne have been beating up the lower ranked teams, as we generally have too. What yesterday showed was more about Melbourne's shortcomings. They are mentally soft as a group. Exert pressure and they will crack. Remember that their pre-season training, to the disgust of their coach, conditioned them to give up when things get too hard. You play as you train.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:39 am

I think it’s time to move on from attempting to rate teams because they have only beaten X and they can’t beat Y.
There are only two things that matter if you’re hoping to go deep into September.
- Being in or around the top eight in August.
- Playing good footy in August. Today won’t mean anything if we aren’t playing something like it in August.
Having said that, for the second time this season, I thought we displayed a brand of footy that could stand up in September. That’s the take away for me.
The challenge is to replicate that footy at the pointy end of the season.
T2 Sagittarius

T2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:45 am

To add further fuel to the fire, I think the Bulldogs also finished in 13th spot the year before their premiership...
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:06 pm

T2 wrote:
To add further fuel to the fire, I think the Bulldogs also finished in 13th spot the year before their premiership...

It was the Tigers who finished 13th in 2016 before winning flag in 2017.
You raise a good point, in that when they finished 13th and were handed their soft draw in 2017 ( and it really was ) how many times did we hear that the “ real “ Richmond was no good because they weren’t beating anyone of note.

You need to make the eight first and then if you have a brand of footy that holds up in September, you will always be a chance. Even more so now that all finals teams get the week off before the finals kick in.

P S Dogs finished 6th at the end of regular season in 2015 and then won the flag in 2016.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 10 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: