Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Blues - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:17 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting discussion on the assessment of West Coast. They were missing their two key forwards, Kennedy and Darling against Essendon. However, what was exposed in this game is that they depend on these two tall forwards to dominate the air. So they have the luxury of playing a slower, buildup game when these two guys are on fire. However, if they are not on fire or missing, they struggled to adapt. This suggests that they are ossified within a single paradigm.
They can't play the mobile short/fast forward line conformation that Richmond, and now us, have configured. I actually think West Coast are screwed as far as being contendors for a Premiership. They have constructed their game around two talls, to whom they send the ball. But this is not super fast, it is not chaotic, it is not unpredictable. I think their methodology has been superseded, and the game against Essendon proves that they have no alternative. Even more so on the MCG.
Conclusion: Strike West Coast out of the list of Grand Finalists.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:27 pm

i seriously cannot wait til sunday! you can take the girl out of the country but you cant take the magpie out of her! man oh man, pies by 99!
ronrat 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:35 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Haha, One of my favourite memories is of Tommy Hafey trying to call Ilya Grgic, who played for Footscray, I think. There would be a moment’s silence, while Tommy addressed himself to the task, then the radio would emit a noise like a bullfrog trying to swallow a butterfly.....

Edit, no, Stui, Tommy H definitely had a calling gig for a while.

I remember Jack Dyer saying once of Gary Frangalas. "i don't care what you say , it is still Frangerless"

simon tonna 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:39 am

I'll b en newzealand for a break and a ski. Hope I can see the metch somewhere in queenstown to see a smeshing eh.
Go meggies.

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:10 pm

Magpietothemax wrote:
Can anyone explain why Appleby is replacing Wells? Would have thought a mid should come in, such as Sier, or Wills. It would seem a perfect opportunity for debuting, or, in Wills' case, seeing what he can do at senior level. Appleby has been great in defence, don't get me wrong. But how is he a like for like replacement? Who in the back 6 will no longer be playing defence to make way for Appleby? Is Crisp going to rotate more through the centre?? I just don't get this change.

Appleby can play in defence, allowing Greenwood to spend some time in the midfield. After all, Greenwood is a natural midfielder and a proven tagger.
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:46 pm

I'm still nervey about this game, teams haven't had a good record first up after the bye.
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:01 pm

Well done to Appleby, I thought he was stiff to get dropped. Underrated around here I reckon, the boy will be a 200 gamer!
inxs88 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:18 pm

Dave The Man wrote:
Heard Eddie say Sier will Debut

You’d think if there was ever a time to blood some rookies, it is now. Wells injured, Greenwood struggling and Appleby a lock down defender at best. Strange conservatism from match committee.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:09 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Haha, One of my favourite memories is of Tommy Hafey trying to call Ilya Grgic, who played for Footscray, I think. There would be a moment’s silence, while Tommy addressed himself to the task, then the radio would emit a noise like a bullfrog trying to swallow a butterfly.....

Edit, no, Stui, Tommy H definitely had a calling gig for a while.

Yes, Tommy was definitely calling on the radio. I remember walking out of the G after WCE GF & Tommy was listing his best players. He mentioned one WCE player but couldn’t remember his name so said that it was “ the one with the girls name”. Eventually he named Mitchell White as the player.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:49 pm

stui magpie wrote:
I'm still nervey about this game, teams haven't had a good record first up after the bye.

Me too! A couple of huge upsets this round already (if the Bulldogs stay ahead of North). Would hate to think that the team are taking this one lightly, because Carlton will be pretty keen to make amends after last weekend...

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 10:20 pm

Glad I'm not the only one feeling jittery about this match.

Carlton will have a point to prove after an insipid performance last week. Hope we're switched on from the first bounce.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:40 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

Me too! A couple of huge upsets this round already (if the Bulldogs stay ahead of North). Would hate to think that the team are taking this one lightly, because Carlton will be pretty keen to make amends after last weekend...

Players won't deliberately be taking it lightly, but it's only natural that after a week off relaxing, it's hard to get that focus straight back. Longer term it's a good thing but short term it clearly has an impact first up.

I hope we don't have to drag in a big half time lead.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:45 pm

Make NO mistake, lads and lassies, this will be no walk in the park for us. The doggies showed tonight, with a decimated team, that if a side comes with the right attitude, and the other is a little bit off, anything can happen. North were very lucky to win tonight. Lucky. Im not saying our game v the bluebellies will be that close, but It will be real contest, for a fair while, the blues are hurting, a week of hell, and they will come at us hard, very hard. We must absorb their shit, their hardness, and stay with em, then wear the pricks out, wear em down, and pull away, to a 22 point win, hopefully.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:57 am

Agree with all those who are sensing concern in this game because of the psychology involved. We are coming off a break during which certain figures in the media have been suggesting that we are Premiership contendors, while Carlton is angry and has plenty to be desperate for. I hope that our psychologists have been defending our guys against the very real danger of complacency and lack of motivation. If we were 5% off our game, we could easily lose.
However, this year I have noticed a definite improvement in our mental preparation for game. I hope I am not myself being guilty of complacency by observing that I think we will have anticipated these mental dangers and taken appropriate measures. Therefore, I await this game with cautious optimism.

swoop42 Virgo

Whatcha gonna do when he comes for you?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:51 am

Jezza wrote:
Glad I'm not the only one feeling jittery about this match.

Carlton will have a point to prove after an insipid performance last week. Hope we're switched on from the first bounce.

Carlton have had that point to prove for most of the season.

They remain on 1 win.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10   

Jump to: