Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Blues - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:31 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone has forgotten him - its just a big ask to get the guy to play a full 4 quarters at a good standard and not get injured after so much time out - I'd rather play it safe and make sure he's at his best in September
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:47 pm

^ I was reacting to the (unqualified) statement idea that “Elliott is not in our best 22”. He’d be in the best 11 of any club in the competition, when available and fit. If he can get back to the form of late last year, and join WHE, Stephenson, Cox and Thomas, our forward line will be bristling with weapons.
WarrenerraW 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:44 pm

Mugwump wrote:
^ I was reacting to the (unqualified) statement idea that “Elliott is not in our best 22”. He’d be in the best 11 of any club in the competition, when available and fit. If he can get back to the form of late last year, and join WHE, Stephenson, Cox and Thomas, our forward line will be bristling with weapons.

Let's just wait for Elliott to actually 'return' to the side before we decide whether or not he's good enough to be in our best 11 let alone 22. He's missed a huge chunk of football and the game has changed a bit since he last played regularly so let's not get too carried away. As far as I'm concerned he should earn his spot just like anyone else and not because he's 'Jamie Elliott'. I hope he gets his body right and makes a return but we can't really judge how good he could be until that happens.
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:23 pm

Elliott has strong hands, and a powerful leap, is a straight kick, and he’s quick. As a result he averages two goals a game as a small forward. That’s not quite elite - Milne averaged nearly three - but it’s high-end.

Of course these qualities could have been cruelled by the hamstring injury, but he returned from injury last year and quickly resumed being our best forward. So, until we see otherwise, it’s reasonable to assume he’s the Jamie Elliott we have seen for 100 games. I have no problem with him returning via the reserves to build fitness, but there is no reason to demote him from best 22.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:35 pm

Elliott is best 5 when fit. He’s a freak. The missing link to put us over the edge.

WHE, Stephenson, Varcoe, Elliott ... yes please.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:17 am

^ indeed, RH. Last year he kicked three or more goals in 9 of his 17 appearances, mostly in games where we might score twelve if we were lucky. Put him in this team, in form, and the Opposition defence will be flashing overload. He’s an A-grader.
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:58 pm

after the bye we have 5 more players available
Darcy Moore Hamstring TBC
Ben Reid Leg Test
Josh Smith Hamstring TBC
Travis Varcoe Hamstring TBC
Jamie Elliott Hamstring TBC

thats a pretty big turn around but real tough when we have a winning team

perthmagpie Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:43 pm

Elliott and Moore are huge talents and they are in our top ten easily. Its crazy that anyone would not realise that. Darcy Moore will be an out and out champion. God I get sick of the rubbish I read on here sometimes. How do people miss the bleeding obvious? A player is out for a while and all of a sudden they can't remember how damn good he is or will be. Those two players will if fit and with continuity make us hugely better. In fact we will need them to be there to make a Grand Final. Schazza can't mind big forwards. We need Moore to balance out our team. We need Elliott to do the freakish.
Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:23 pm

I would not rush Moore, Reid, Elliott back into the Seniors. Give them at least one game in the VFL first. In fact, since our game after Carlton is the Suns, we could afford to let them both have 2 games in the VFL first.
I want them back in peak condition, and confident after having played two full games.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:02 am

Mugwump wrote:

I think I'd ease him in at #6 instead of making him face the new ball.

E 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:04 am

Elliot is not in our best 22. At least that has to be the mindset. He may be completely broken down at this point. Finished. We must soldier on without him in our plans and IF AND ONLY IF he can get right, then we can talk about him being in our best 22.

What is amazing is how desperate we were for him last year and how this year i think of him as icing on the cake. Also interesting that Faz is no longer close to best 22 but last year we desperately needed him.

I think we have come a long way.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:26 am

E wrote:
Elliot is not in our best 22. At least that has to be the mindset. He may be completely broken down at this point. Finished. We must soldier on without him in our plans and IF AND ONLY IF he can get right, then we can talk about him being in our best 22.

What is amazing is how desperate we were for him last year and how this year i think of him as icing on the cake. Also interesting that Faz is no longer close to best 22 but last year we desperately needed him.

When he is unavailable, by all means cultivate the mindset that you can live without him ; but when he’s available, he’s best 11. If you are facing a tank and your bazooka is bust, you use an RPG. But a bazooka is still the weapon to use once it is fixed.

piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:11 am

Mugwump wrote:
If you are facing a tank and your bazooka is bust, you use an RPG...

Will a WHE suffice in it's place? Confused

E 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:26 am

Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:

When he is unavailable, by all means cultivate the mindset that you can live without him ; but when he’s available, he’s best 11. If you are facing a tank and your bazooka is bust, you use an RPG. But a bazooka is still the weapon to use once it is fixed.

correct. The problem is that i fear the bazooka is not only rusted out, but its in a thousand pieces in someone's basement. Its fine to have the mindset that the bazooka would be great if it worked, but at some point you have to accept that you are going to have to win the battle without it......

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:03 am

E wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:

correct. The problem is that i fear the bazooka is not only rusted out, but its in a thousand pieces in someone's basement. Its fine to have the mindset that the bazooka would be great if it worked, but at some point you have to accept that you are going to have to win the battle without it......

Sure, but we all thought that when he didn’t appear in 2016 or for the first five rounds of 2017... and then he came back in and kicked 3+ goals in 9/17 performances between rounds 5-23. Lots of people had him finished because of the PARS problem that kept him out of 2016, and then the ankle.... but I think there is a good chance he’ll come back and be a weapon in the latter third of this season, just as he did last year.

If his form is like it was last year, he might just be the factor that pushes us deep into September. With him, a firing Cox and WhE and Stephenson and Josh T, that’s an awesome attack.

I would not cut the bazooka up for spare parts yet.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10   

Jump to: