Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Pre Match. Pies v. Blues - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:07 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

piedys wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
If you are facing a tank and your bazooka is bust, you use an RPG...

Will a WHE suffice in it's place? Confused

We hit em with both bazookas, buddy. The left hook punctures the armour, the right hook smokes the wreck. We’ll be singing the song at Vic Park before the sun goes down in September.

5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:58 am

Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:
Elliot is not in our best 22. At least that has to be the mindset. He may be completely broken down at this point. Finished. We must soldier on without him in our plans and IF AND ONLY IF he can get right, then we can talk about him being in our best 22.

What is amazing is how desperate we were for him last year and how this year i think of him as icing on the cake. Also interesting that Faz is no longer close to best 22 but last year we desperately needed him.

I think we have come a long way.

When he is unavailable, by all means cultivate the mindset that you can live without him ; but when he’s available, he’s best 11. If you are facing a tank and your bazooka is bust, you use an RPG. But a bazooka is still the weapon to use once it is fixed.

Best 11?

Best 22?

If you are able to specify where a certain player sits in the rankings at a certain point in time you are a far better judge than me. I can't rank players, apart from the elite few, with such precision.

Is Dunn a better player than Stephenson?

Is Maynard a better player than Thomas?

Is Scharenberg a better player than WHE?

Is the future captain a better player than anyone?

On which day, against which opposition, are we playing at night or during the day? Is it raining or dry?

I tend to look at it as whether they are performing their role or not. If they are they are best 22, if they are not, they fall outside it.
glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:44 am

^ Dead right - People like to speak in absolutes but its not remotely accurate to say player x is in without knowing where he is at.
If said player is injured he is not in the best 22 full stop - if he is recovering from injury there is a whole lot of grey to consider. There is re-injury, conditions, opposition and a dozen other factors the people who know will make a decision about.
Worry about injustices of selection are a waste of time.

glasseyevfx 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:45 am

but fun
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:38 pm

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
Mugwump wrote:
E wrote:
Elliot is not in our best 22. At least that has to be the mindset. He may be completely broken down at this point. Finished. We must soldier on without him in our plans and IF AND ONLY IF he can get right, then we can talk about him being in our best 22.

What is amazing is how desperate we were for him last year and how this year i think of him as icing on the cake. Also interesting that Faz is no longer close to best 22 but last year we desperately needed him.

I think we have come a long way.

When he is unavailable, by all means cultivate the mindset that you can live without him ; but when he’s available, he’s best 11. If you are facing a tank and your bazooka is bust, you use an RPG. But a bazooka is still the weapon to use once it is fixed.

Best 11?

Best 22?

If you are able to specify where a certain player sits in the rankings at a certain point in time you are a far better judge than me. I can't rank players, apart from the elite few, with such precision.

Is Dunn a better player than Stephenson?

Is Maynard a better player than Thomas?

Is Scharenberg a better player than WHE?

Is the future captain a better player than anyone?

On which day, against which opposition, are we playing at night or during the day? Is it raining or dry?

I tend to look at it as whether they are performing their role or not. If they are they are best 22, if they are not, they fall outside it.

Just an expression meaning one of the first picked, in the top half of our assets etc. He is not like any of the players you mentioned above, because gun small forwards with great hands are never in surplus.

We appear to have two, in WhE and Elliot, which is what will make it such a combination punch when Billy is ready to go again, assuming he returns as well as he did last year. I’ll say it again : 3+ goals in more than 50% of his appearances last year after more than a year out, in a side that often could not buy a goal.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:17 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
Assuming Moore and Elliott will need to come back via the VFL, the only question really is whether Reid or Appleby should be recalled.

I'd actually prefer to stick with Mihocek for another week or so, as he provides some much needed physicality up forward. I guess Appleby is competing with Greenwood for a spot, and I suspect Appleby may just get a recall.

Finally, do we persevere with Daicos, or look to bring back Brown or perhaps even debut Murphy?

Other than these selection queries I think the rest of our team is very settled.

Milocek is more than holding his own and hopefully will form part of the core team and will contribute significantly in the future. Reid has been a fantastic clubman but he is fragile and very prone to soft tissue injury and he plays that way. He is certainly not the dynamic player he once was.

I ageee and would prefer top see them continue to play Milocek and in the meantime get Reid right. There will be other injuries and Reid will be required to fill these gaps.

Member 7167 Leo

"What Good Fortune For Governments That The People Do Not Think" - Adolf Hitler.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:26 pm

Mugwump wrote:
WarrenerraW wrote:
There's no need to make wholesale changes to a team that's so finely balanced but I think we'll see at least 1-2 changes. I suspect wells will miss out. He doesn't offer much and those so-called silky skills are so 10 years ago. Varcoe should return soon after the bye and would be the logical replacement.

Elliott and Moore need to return via the vfl. No point exposing them to senior football only to have them break down again early in a game and I don't necessarily think they're in our best 22 anyway. A lot of people think so, and maybe they should be. But look at how far we've come without them. Who do they push out? If we have 22 blokes all playing their role on the day with no passengers then the likes of Moore and Elliott are back up and should be made to earn their spot.

Even Mayne is playing well. Who would've predicted that at the start of the year. Daicos and Brown are similar types. Is there a spot for both of them? Schaz looked tired. As good as he's been I'd rest him another week and bring in Appleby perhaps.

Haven't seen much vfl but hopefully wills, sier and mclarty can get a game in the big league. I'm guessing that they're not too far away. Murray has gone off the boil. Needs find form in the vfl and work on decision making and disposal if he's to return.

A fit Jamie Elliott is in our best 6, let alone best 22. He is a forty-goal-a-year small forward, and an A-grader, and he’d take the place of Wells, Daicos or Varcoe in a heartbeat. I can understand why it is easy to forget that, though.

Jamie is my favourite Pies player and I have great respect for him due to the way he has worked hard under constant pain to even play at this level again. The trouble is that due to his back condition he is now more prone than ever to soft tissue injury. Not only does he have to play in discomfort and pain due to his back but he has to be over protective of his body in an effort to reduce the chance of being injured.

We would be a much better side for having a fully fit Jamie on our side but unfortunately I think that the chances of that happening are very slight.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:07 pm

Member 7167 wrote:

Jamie is my favourite Pies player and I have great respect for him due to the way he has worked hard under constant pain to even play at this level again. The trouble is that due to his back condition he is now more prone than ever to soft tissue injury. Not only does he have to play in discomfort and pain due to his back but he has to be over protective of his body in an effort to reduce the chance of being injured.

We would be a much better side for having a fully fit Jamie on our side but unfortunately I think that the chances of that happening are very slight.

I have no inside information on Jamie’s condition, and you may be right. It’s also just possible that he has a hammy, as footballers do. I’m not a doctor, but a friend who is a doctor tells me that a Pars defect can cause hammy problems, but once formally corrected with surgery, a pars defect should not make you more prone to hamstring problems than the next footballer. Moore and Adams are two others prone to hamstring issues. It happens, and I’m not bringing out the green screen yet.

The good thing is, even if it is the beginning of the end for this exciting career, we at least have alternative ways to score, now.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:23 am

After listening to Bucks' post-match press conference, I get the impression that Elliott and Moore won't be returning for the Carlton game, assuming they're fit to begin with. He's indicated they'll need to play some VFL footy before they can return to the senior side.

The prospect of Elliott returning to a forward line that's starting to fire on a regular basis is a salivating prospect.

I think Mihocek is worth persisting with, and I think he's gone ahead of Reid in the pecking order.

E 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:24 am

Jezza wrote:
After listening to Bucks' post-match press conference, I get the impression that Elliott and Moore won't be returning for the Carlton game, assuming they're fit to begin with. He's indicated they'll need to play some VFL footy before they can return to the senior side.

The prospect of Elliott returning to a forward line that's starting to fire on a regular basis is a salivating prospect.

I think Mihocek is worth persisting with, and I think he's gone ahead of Reid in the pecking order.

only because your expectations are so low. If Blair put in the performance that Mihocek put in last week, people would be calling for his head on a platter. Let's face it, he did a few things nicely, is a reliable kick for goal, but he really had no influence on the outcome of the game. i wonder why we wouldnt give McLarty a shot at doing exactly the same thing.

MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:54 am

E wrote:
Jezza wrote:

only because your expectations are so low. If Blair put in the performance that Mihocek put in last week, people would be calling for his head on a platter. Let's face it, he did a few things nicely, is a reliable kick for goal, but he really had no influence on the outcome of the game. i wonder why we wouldnt give McLarty a shot at doing exactly the same thing.

Because I don't think McLarty is quite ready yet, but when he is, I think we're all going to be very pleasantly surprised. Meanwhile Mihocek is performing ok and when Blair plays, he too contributes.
Woods Of Ypres 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:28 pm

should be a nice percentage booster. Pies by 80pts
rambler 

rambler

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:37 pm

Talking to a Carlton mate at work , I said I'll accept nothing less than a league record winning margin against you scum. He replied "don't you feel sorry for us" I said " I grew up in the late 70's, early 80's , nobody felt sorry for us back then. We need to send these bastards down to a new level of purgatory.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:09 pm

E wrote:
Jezza wrote:

Hit the post in the first.
Strong contested mini-speccy in the second.
Long low accurate pass on the run to hit Mason Cox on the chest in the goal square in the third quarter.
Goal after the 3/4 time siren to bury Melbourne.
I’d say he’s doing more than a few nice things for a second game player.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:32 pm

^ I agree, RH, and he provided a lot of forward contest. The bloke really looks like a blue-collar footballer to me : takes contested marks, kicks long, doesn’t go to pieces under pressure, and works bloody hard. He’s a Leigh Brown type, and a premiership-quality team can afford one or two of those. He’s looked likelier and provided more in two games than young Daicos has in ten or so. That’s not to knock Daicos, it’s just that players take time to get to their best at this level. Mihocek, from the get-go, has done more than I expected.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10   

Jump to: