Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Eurydice Dixon

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:47 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

It just happened? Nup that’s a bridge too far, and gives him an out of sorts.

I’m with P4S, more so that if the accused wasn’t on any spectrum, because From what I’ve seen personally, they don’t feel the need to conceal things others might. Let’s wait and see if he’s pulled wings of flies, and graduated to dogs and cats, before a woman.

I totally agree with don’t tell your daughters to blah blah blah, tell your sons to keep their hands to themselves, however, since I know that’s not happening, I do tell my daughters be careful, don’t take chances, try not to walk alone, stay alert, etc etc etc. I’m not victim blaming, I’m telling them the same thing I do when they drive and I say drive carefully, they know I mean it’s not you I’m worried about it’s every other idiot ^&*^*% drunk/drugged/angry/sleepy **** on the road I’m worried about.

At dusk a couple of days back at our local shopping centre, I walked out a door, and a guy was close on my heels, and seemed to go my way, and it freaked me out, I detoured to a group of people, not my car. You can’t be too careful, because like it or not it happens. And the fact is that the majority of perps are men, that’s not the same thing as the majority of men are perps, and the majority of victims are female, also not the same as females are all victims. What can be done? IMO. Not much, it’s just plain £$%$ed.

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:16 pm

think positive wrote:
It just happened? Nup that’s a bridge too far, and gives him an out of sorts.

I'm not giving him an out, or excusing anything. It is was it is, a woman is dead. Just my feeling and take on how it may have come about is that he wasn't a predator, something went wrong. As I said, we'll see what the trial brings out but in the meantime, you're completely correct to tell your daughters to take care. There's a lot of £$%$ed up people out there, they may be a tiny percentage of the population but they're there, so take precautions.

That's not victim blaming, it's common sense IMO.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:30 pm

Oh God, I just read Dandrews PR vote-hunting Facebook post. Is there no limit to the grovelling insincerity and meaningless platitudes of the modern politician ? The poor girl is barely cold before he’s mining her death for the female vote.
Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:13 pm

It was vomit inducing, Mugwump.

Stop demonising all men as a collective because of the actions of a few, but like a typical leftist he reinforces identity politics which the new left is becoming renowned for.

I've also read today that Australia has a rape culture problem Shocked

stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:49 pm

Mugwump wrote:
Oh God, I just read Dandrews PR vote-hunting Facebook post. Is there no limit to the grovelling insincerity and meaningless platitudes of the modern politician ? The poor girl is barely cold before he’s mining her death for the female vote.

I read it before I started this thread

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:27 am

stui magpie wrote:
I'm making the assumption (I'm really not sure why) that this guy didn't follow her with intent to rape and/or murder her. It just happened. We'll see what comes out to see whether I'm on the right track or way off.

What makes you think that? Why else would he be following her, if he didn’t intend her harm?

To those here and elsewhere angry at some of the reaction to this senseless and brutal act, surely the most outrageous thing is that awful, random crimes like these occur. Not the (surely at least partially true) suggestion that men’s behaviour can be a problem.

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:20 am

Letting women carry pepper spray and effectively defend themselves would be a nice start in preventing this kind of thing. We’re a nation of victims and predators like this prick can pick targets at will. As for throwing money at state intervention, what exactly does the government do well that anyone thinks they can effectively find and intervene random attackers?
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:29 am

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:
I'm making the assumption (I'm really not sure why) that this guy didn't follow her with intent to rape and/or murder her. It just happened. We'll see what comes out to see whether I'm on the right track or way off.

What makes you think that? Why else would he be following her, if he didn’t intend her harm?

To those here and elsewhere angry at some of the reaction to this senseless and brutal act, surely the most outrageous thing is that awful, random crimes like these occur. Not the (surely at least partially true) suggestion that men’s behaviour can be a problem.

YEP

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:55 am

Jezza wrote:
It was vomit inducing, Mugwump.

Stop demonising all men as a collective because of the actions of a few, but like a typical leftist he reinforces identity politics which the new left is becoming renowned for.

I've also read today that Australia has a rape culture problem Shocked

I mistakenly assumed I had nothing to do with this appalling crime, but apparently I need to change as a result. So tell me, Dan, how, exactly do you want me to personally change because my gender means I need to ? Or maybe you didn’t mean me - maybe you meant you .... but somehow I don’t think so, because you seem on very good terms with yourself on this, despite the fact that you run the government which was in power when it happened.

Or maybe you meant politicians who are men need to change, Dan. You know, by, say, handing down sentences which reflect the abhorrence most of us men feel for murder, and rape, rather than the eight to fifteen years your Attorney General seems to think an adequate price for another person’s whole existence. Maybe that needs to change, Dan ? That must be it.

thesoretoothsayer 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:47 pm

To me, the "men need to change" platitude is applicable to stuff like wolf-whistling or pinching a woman's bum in the office. Behaviours that some men may think are acceptable but are not.

I think all men know that rape and murder are wrong.
It's just that some don't care, some have no impulse control and some have serious personality/mental issues. Saying "men need to change" or "respect the wamen" to these people achieves nothing.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:51 pm

David wrote:
stui magpie wrote:

The pieces don't fit.

Alright, here's my hypothesis and what I've based it on.

What we know about this guy,

He's 19 years old, middle child of 3 boys, lives with his brothers and parents in what seems to be a good, bit rough round the edges, working class home.
Has a level of autism and has been described as "Socially regressive" which I interpret as being he's awkward socially, doesn't pick up social clues or understand interactions.
He's described as quiet but intelligent, attended a normal primary and high school, left during year 12 without completing it apparently due to being bullied and teased.
No reported history of anything similar or anything that should send up flags, although to be fair if there was anything it would be unlikely to be reported as a) it would have likely been a juvenile offence and b) it would be withheld so as not to prejudice a jury.

He turned himself into a police station within hours of the CCTV photo of him being released as someone police wanted to talk to.

So that's what we know, doesn't fit the profile to me of someone who would stalk a woman with intent to rape and murder.

Then there's the other thing that doesn't fit. Eurydice was a cluey woman. She had lived in the area since at least childhood and would have walked home multiple times. She knew her surroundings. She fired off a text to her BF when she was almost home to say she was safe. I can't believe that someone could have stalked her for 3km without her noticing or setting off her radar.

So here's what I think happened, pulling on my old raincoat and fedora.

At some point between Eurydice leaving the pub she was performing at and starting her walk home, she's caught his attention somehow and he's decided to follow her. Maybe he wanted to try to talk to her, maybe he thought if he could get her alone he might be able to "pick up", maybe he didn't know why, he just did.

Anyway, I think at some point during the walk home, either she spotted him or he caught up, but they started talking and walking together. She didn't pereieve him as a threat. When she was almost home, she's sent the text to her BF and went to leave Todd to go home. He's misread the signals and tried to kiss her, she's resisted, he's got angry (some Autistic people can throw terrible temper tantrums when they don't get their own way) and it all turned to shit from there.

I may be way off, we'll find out in due course. I'm not making any attempt to excuse his actions, just explain how I think it could have played out as an alternative to the caricature evil doer who stalks with deliberate intent to rape and kill.

However it happened, she's dead. It's not her fault and it's not all men's fault. The fault, it seems, lies with a young man named Todd.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:35 pm

His name's actually Jaymes Todd.

I agree with Lisa Wilkinson's sentiment on The Project last night - "men are scared women will laugh at them, women are scared men will kill them".

Men will never understand what it's like to be a woman - being vigilant constantly, if out for a walk - holding keys through your fingers 'just in case', not parking in dark places with few other cars around, having to do things in pairs or groups - especially at night. Hearing footsteps behind you & consciously looking around for safe haven or other people or some sort of security.

My female neighbour & I walk together of an evening during non daylight savings months & only walk along main roads. If her husband was to go for a walk I'm sure there'd be no qualms about him going alone, or into back streets.

When walking alone one morning I took a short cut through a park & saw a male looking at me. It was only then I realised if he attacked me - no one would know. It was behind a building, there was no car parks, no one around, I was completely on my own. I actually started shaking & walking faster to get away. He was probably just some guy doing yoga or something & waiting for me to go past but the fear was palpable. I'm pretty confident men would rarely, if ever, experience anything like that. Clearly I never took that route again - another change I had to make just because I'm a woman.

Sadly I don't believe this will ever change. Men will be physically stronger than women &, if the mood strikes, able to inflict serious harm. I believe women do have to be smarter or more aware & take less risks. Sad to say it but I think that's the only way of trying to stop this sort of thing. Yes, it'd be lovely if the men that want to do these things would change, or be more educated, or have more resources blah blah blah, but that's 'perfect world' stuff, and this aint a perfect world.
stui magpie Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:53 pm

You're right Chris in that I rarely have to think about my own safety when going somewhere, but some times you do. The most skittish I've ever been was in Frisco, walking around at night on the edge of the tenderloin, saw a group of clearly homeless people up in front of me, so I changed to the other side of the road to avoid them.

The thing for me is, it's a small number of men who do this stuff, not a large number and certainly not the majority, yet they say "Tell men not to rape". Considering an Australian male is 40 times more likely to kill himself than his partner, maybe we should tell us all, "Oh, and don't kill yourself either"?

Saying that women should be free to walk wherever whenever in safety is like saying you should be able to leave your house and car unlocked because everyone knows stealing stuff is wrong. The problem is, people can know it's wrong but still do it, so you need to take precautions. You lock your house and car and you be careful where you walk because there are people in society who will take your possessions or your life, even though they know it's wrong.

luvdids Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:10 pm

Agree about being responsible for your own safety with the house & car, that's pretty bang on.

Crossing the road to avoid? Not really the same, see if I was in the same position I'd probably have turned around & gone somewhere else or got a cab or found a different route, anything to avoid them altogether.
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:55 pm

I think you’re spot on, Chris – I walk home by myself at night all the time, and while I’ve felt unsafe in the past, it’s been nothing like on that level. I think as men this is all pretty abstract to us. I hate the fact that my mere gender could make somebody else fearful if walking in a dark or secluded place, but what can be done about it? I’m sure a great number of young women in Melbourne are thinking right now “it could have been me”. In that way, an attack like this feels like terrorism, in terms of effect if not intent.

It’s also worth remembering how uncommon random attacks like these are in the broader scheme of things, though – the vast majority of sexual assaults are still carried out by acquaintances, spouses and family members behind closed doors. Street attacks like these are terrifying, but the chance of it happening is still very low, I’m guessing substantially lower than being hit by a drunk driver.

I don’t actually disagree with your point above, Wokko – I don’t think people should be able to carry lethal weapons like knives for self-defence, but I can’t see why something non-lethal like pepper spray should be unlawful – something like that would surely save lives.

It’s a bit morbid, I know, but do we know how she was killed?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14   

Jump to: