Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Discussion about political avatars

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:00 pm
Post subject: Discussion about political avatarsReply with quote

<Split from "Getting Sick of Collingwood Forums" thread>

Dave The Man wrote:
I am getting Sick of the Collingwood Forums on the Internet as there always seems to be Civil Warfare on the.

Any Negative Fans get Abused by the Positive Fans for not Being Real Fans.

Really makes me hate to be on these Boards as always seem Down on there.

I am barley using Nicks anymore and I am starting to think I will do the Same with Bigfooty as well.

Can't stand up to Smartass's without getting in Trouble.

Getting Really Sick Of It

STicks and stones, DAve. Freedom of speech means accepting other people's right to say really annoying stuff.
I came back to Nick's after bigfooty deleted my avatar because it is anti-Israel - tjhat disgusting psycho aparthied little fake country. I'm sure they wouldn't have deleted an avatar that was anti south african apartheid even though that wasn't even a fraction as bad and murderous as Isreal's treatment of Palestinians.

so anyway bigfooty squashed my freedom of expression and that's not acceptable - so I have to commit to allowing others to say stuff I don't like. Sometimes can degenerate into a shit fight but I try to stay calm and polite. I still post there a bit though but it's a lot mroe feral than here.
E 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:55 am
Post subject: Re: Getting Sick of Collingwood ForumsReply with quote

bokka wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
I am getting Sick of the Collingwood Forums on the Internet as there always seems to be Civil Warfare on the.

I am barley using Nicks anymore and I am starting to think I will do the Same with Bigfooty as well.

STicks and stones, DAve. Freedom of speech means accepting other people's right to say really annoying stuff.
I came back to Nick's after bigfooty deleted my avatar because it is anti-Israel - tjhat disgusting psycho aparthied little fake country. I'm sure they wouldn't have deleted an avatar that was anti south african apartheid even though that wasn't even a fraction as bad and murderous as Isreal's treatment of Palestinians.

so anyway bigfooty squashed my freedom of expression and that's not acceptable - so I have to commit to allowing others to say stuff I don't like. Sometimes can degenerate into a shit fight but I try to stay calm and polite. I still post there a bit though but it's a lot mroe feral than here.

Bokka, our mods just arent as smart as the BigFooty mods. Now that you have told them what it means, i'm sure they will shut you down as well!!!! Must admit, i didnt know it was anti-Israel.

FWIW, do you really have to bring your politics onto this forum? All we want to do here is criticize any fan who has ANYTHING negative to say about Collingwood!!! respectfully, we couldnt give a rat's arse what you think about Israel although your views are a little scary, i'll be honest with you.

bokka Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:11 am

E wrote:
bokka wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Bokka, our mods just arent as smart as the BigFooty mods. Now that you have told them what it means, i'm sure they will shut you down as well!!!! Must admit, i didnt know it was anti-Israel.

FWIW, do you really have to bring your politics onto this forum? All we want to do here is criticize any fan who has ANYTHING negative to say about Collingwood!!! respectfully, we couldnt give a rat's arse what you think about Israel although your views are a little scary, i'll be honest with you.

Your type always has to say "we" couldn't give a rat's arse, people like you can't stand to jsut speak for yourself and have to act like you are speaking for everyone. so I'd suggest start trying to be a big boy now and having the guts to speak jsut for yourself - except I'm pretty sure you don't have it in you.
You obviously are particularly offended about anyt criticism of precious Israel. Because my Nicks avatar is anti-US and you are OK with that. Hmm I guess you like vicious mass-murdering apartheid torturers.
FYI the avatar on bigfooty was different.
think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:23 am

bokka wrote:
E wrote:
bokka wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

Your type always has to say "we" couldn't give a rat's arse, people like you can't stand to jsut speak for yourself and have to act like you are speaking for everyone. so I'd suggest start trying to be a big boy now and having the guts to speak jsut for yourself - except I'm pretty sure you don't have it in you.
You obviously are particularly offended about anyt criticism of precious Israel. Because my Nicks avatar is anti-US and you are OK with that. Hmm I guess you like vicious mass-murdering apartheid torturers.
FYI the avatar on bigfooty was different.

um, actually your anti us avatar is offensive to me, as is Davids! i couldnt give a rats about politics when im looking for Collingwood stuff, you can save that shit for the Tavern, thats pretty much all it is these days, thats why not many people are popping in for a drink! that and a few trolls!

i dont say anything because i also agree with Stephen Fry

“It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so $$%^%%$ what."

[I saw hate in a graveyard -- Stephen Fry, The Guardian, 5 June 2005]”

how about we stick to footy?

Dark beanie had the best advice for Dave, stay away for a while. even from Nicks. lick your wounds, and get ready for the next battle, we all need to do that sometimes. I actually have conversation answers in my head for dealing with family and so called friends who might want to engage with me re the loss, when i know darn well they just want to peel off a scab or two! **** em! one thing about menopause, I love the **** you side effect!

inxs88 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

E wrote:
bokka wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

E! I 100% agree with you Smile

RudeBoy 

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:34 pm

bokka wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:

I'm with you 100% on apartheid Israel bokka. I spent some time in occupied Palestine earlier this year and what the Zionist/Fascist forces are doing there is disgusting..........but this is a footy forum so perhaps not the right place for such discussions. Shocked
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:47 pm

think positive wrote:
um, actually your anti us avatar is offensive to me, as is Davids!

I get that you don't like Bokka's anti-US avatar, but how could you be offended by an image simply calling for a political prisoner to be freed? I never fail to be disappointed by the sheer apathy and ignorance that people demonstrate regarding Assange's case – and you absolutely have a right not to care about him or what his case represents – but surely getting offended by a call for justice is taking things too far?

Wokko Pisces

Come and take it.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:03 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

I had The Battle Flag of the Army of Northern Virginia avatar get nixed from Nicks, Trump was fine. I guess it depends how inflammatory you're being or how melty a snowflake could get over it (Mods have to take peoples feelings into account, even if those feelings are fragile and soft) Laughing.

In the end it's a footy forum, there are plenty of places on the internet for overt political displays and aggressive discussion. Even in the Tavern I keep my posts pretty moderate unless someone else decides to get snippy, then all bets are off (and my post is probably getting /snipped/ anyway) Laughing
stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:55 pm

Personally I'm Pro-Israel. I may not agree with everything they do but I also don't agree with the way the Palestinians approach things.

Having said that, if someone wants to have an avatar that says phuk Israel or the USA, meh. DILLIGAF.

Too many people these days are far too readily offended. I'd rather put that energy into something more meaningful. Sometimes I get wound up about something, but rarely.Badgering people who disagree with your opinion is an abject waste of time and energy unless that's where you get your Dopamine hit from.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:45 pm

David wrote:
think positive wrote:
um, actually your anti us avatar is offensive to me, as is Davids!

I get that you don't like Bokka's anti-US avatar, but how could you be offended by an image simply calling for a political prisoner to be freed? I never fail to be disappointed by the sheer apathy and ignorance that people demonstrate regarding Assange's case – and you absolutely have a right not to care about him or what his case represents – but surely getting offended by a call for justice is taking things too far?

I hate it when you do that! Include the whole post, including the bit where I say SO WHAT!

It’s political, that’s why, and I don’t actually have sympathy for him, I believe his free speech thing was for his own financial gain, not due to doing the right thing, and he put innocent people at risk.Also, on your post elsewhere, someone said he comes across as an arrogant tool, and I agree totally with that! I’m neither here nor there, I don’t actually care at all about him. For some reason, your avatar just shits me, has since the day you put it up! There is no logic to be found in that, don’t look for it, it’s just the way it is!
https://www.npr.org/2019/04/12/712659290/how-much-did-wikileaks-damage-u-s-national-security

Like I said, my objection was to politics in the general discussion section, which I prefer to be politics free.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:22 pm

I hope you read that whole NPR article. It's very eye-opening:

Quote:
WikiLeaks has made multiple disclosures over the past decade, including one in March 2017 when the group released what it said were CIA technical documents on a range of spying techniques.

This revealed ways that a state-of-the art television could serve as a listening device even when it was turned off.

Larry Pfeiffer, the CIA chief of staff from 2006 to 2009, said these kinds of breaches can impose long-term costs, though they can be difficult to quantify.

"It informs the potential enemies of a technique we use, that they can now develop countermeasures against," Pfeiffer said.

This also forces the spy agency to go back to the drawing board, he added.

"Once invalidated, it now creates situations where the U.S. intelligence community is going to have to expend resources and going to have to spend both dollars and people to develop new methods," said Pfeiffer, who now heads the Michael V. Hayden Center for Intelligence at George Mason University.

Astonishing how national-security rhetoric turns the journalistic revelation of government spying (perhaps on its own citizens) into a harmful act that must be punished. Is our loyalty to the public interest, or to making sure that state power operates as smoothly as possible? Surely only those who think government power is good and can always be trusted, and that nothing that is done behind the scenes is the public's business, could swallow that logic. Such people want to live in a dictatorship.

The one justifiable criticism that has been made about Assange (and no, I'm not talking about whether he "comes across as an arrogant tool" – who cares?) is that the unredacted leaks potentially put people's lives at risk. I should note that there's no evidence that anyone actually has suffered as a result of this, and it's a little surprising that the US government and mainstream media can't point to any examples given how much they bring this point up.

Either way, my understanding is that there's far more to the story than this: that Assange did redact such info in the initial publications, but that, some months down the track, a Guardian journalist reporting on him carelessly revealed a password that effectively rendered the entire, unredacted documents publicly accessible. But even if we slate the guilt for that ****-up solely home to Assange, and we actually find evidence of anyone coming to harm as a result of these publications, I think you still have to consider it in the broader context of what he was doing. A lot of war reporting potentially puts people in danger; but if a journalist or editor does carelessly let a name or image slip (as I'm sure happens), it doesn't invalidate their broader aim: telling the truth about the violence and cruelty in the world, much of which ordinary citizens like you and me are complicit in through the governments we elect.

As the US and Australia gear up for another murderous, unnecessary and lie-filled war, I can't help but wonder how many future deaths would be averted if Wikileaks' revelations about Iraq had been spread more widely and thoroughly, and if their operations hadn't been hobbled by this unprecedented case. Anyone who read those documents thoroughly would never trust a word that the US government said about anything ever again. And they would be right not to.

In a way, I'm okay with my avatar annoying you, and others who've bought into the propaganda about Assange being a villain who deserves what's coming to him – much better than people forgetting about him, which is what the US probably wants us all to do. You can hate him, laugh at him, not care about him, but if you and everyone else who feels the same has to see his name every now and then in a bulletin board avatar, then I guess that's a tiny victory.

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:35 pm

Plenty of things I care about, and you don’t, same as plenty of things we agree, disagree on, very rarely though do I put my argument across as I’m right and won’t take no for an answer! You think the US is evil fullstop, so do a couple of others here, yet I’ve seen first hand the good side, so that’s why I usually just stay out of it, I’m too old to argue for the sake of it! I know there is no changing your mind. I also come from a military background, I think that probably colours my view too. The greater good? For who?

How much money did he make, or stand to make?

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:57 pm

I don't think the US is evil. I actually think it's a pretty normal superpower, full of the same old corruption, authoritarianism, arrogance and a startling (but not unusual) lack of regard for human life or the sovereignty of other countries.

As for Assange's wealth, to my knowledge, the guy often lived on the road in hotel rooms or slept on friends' couches when he was still a free man. I think it's pretty likely that none of this was done for material gain, and that any money was filtered straight back into Wikileaks or legal bills. None of his family members are rich. But why even make an accusation like that if you don't have any evidence that it's true?

stui magpie Gemini

Prepare for the worst, hope for the best.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:13 pm

David wrote:

Astonishing how national-security rhetoric turns the journalistic revelation of government spying (perhaps on its own citizens) into a harmful act that must be punished. Is our loyalty to the public interest, or to making sure that state power operates as smoothly as possible? Surely only those who think government power is good and can always be trusted, and that nothing that is done behind the scenes is the public's business, could swallow that logic. Such people want to live in a dictatorship.

No where near is it that black and white.

I certainly don't think government power is always good and can always be trusted, I also know that sometimes they need to do bad things for the greater good and the "public interest" test of total transparency just doesn't work.

When countries are at war, whether that be literally, metaphorically or economically, they go to great lengths to ensure their enemy doesn't get inside knowledge which means they can't be transparent to their own people.

IIRC Assange's revelations didn't save any lives but did put some in jeopardy, all in the name of the public need to know what's going on. What serves the public interest better, the government doing what it was elected to do or facing scrutiny of their every action in trying to do the former?

He's no hero, but he may not be a villain either

think positive Libra

Side By Side

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:50 pm

David wrote:
I don't think the US is evil. I actually think it's a pretty normal superpower, full of the same old corruption, authoritarianism, arrogance and a startling (but not unusual) lack of regard for human life or the sovereignty of other countries.

As for Assange's wealth, to my knowledge, the guy often lived on the road in hotel rooms or slept on friends' couches when he was still a free man. I think it's pretty likely that none of this was done for material gain, and that any money was filtered straight back into Wikileaks or legal bills. None of his family members are rich. But why even make an accusation like that if you don't have any evidence that it's true?

Accusation? I asked the question, and it is very relevant. It shows his intent. You think it’s likely? You know him that well? Pretty big assumption.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Victoria Park Tavern All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: