Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

We haven't beaten ANYONE in the eight! Until Now!!!

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:24 pm
Post subject: We haven't beaten ANYONE in the eight! Until Now!!!Reply with quote

This is a fascinating season, but interestingly, we have hardly played (and haven't beaten) ANYONE that is in the 8

WCE - haven't played
Rich - lost badly
Melbourne - we crushed 'em
Sydney - haven't played
Geelong - lost badly
North - haven't played.
Coll
Port - haven't played.

We are 7-2 against the 9 teams outside the 8 we have played and only have Gold Coast to play.

Last edited by E on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:59 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

^ true, but I was at the Geelong and Richmond games. In neither game did we lose “badly”. We were well in both games half way through the last quarter and ran out of legs after losing key players to injury quite early on. You can argue that the final margin to Richmond was a bad loss, but that was not the prevailing view of most unbiased commentators after the game.

If we win this Monday it will be a season defining event, because it’ll show that we have the goods to play top four - but if we lose, I do not think we are out of contention for a 5-8 slot. I still think we are a reasonable smokey for a flag, especially if we can get a late season out of Jamie Elliott like we had last year. A forward line of JDG, Hoskin, Jamie Elliott and Wells/Varcoe, with Cox and Mihocek/Reid as targets, is a daunting prospect.

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:12 am

Only beaten one team in the top 11, in fact. This is why I don’t think we’re a top 8 side yet – but winning form is good form, and I’m excited to see what we can achieve in the second half of the year.
Mossi Leo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:23 am
Post subject: Re: We haven't beaten ANYONE in the eight!Reply with quote

E wrote:
This is a fascinating season, but interestingly, we have hardly played (and haven't beaten) ANYONE that is in the 8

WCE - haven't played
Rich - lost badly
Melbourne - haven't played
Sydney - haven't played
Geelong - lost badly
North - haven't played.
Coll
Port - haven't played.

We are 7-2 against the 9 teams outside the 8 we have played and only have Gold Coast to play.

An Arguement that has many holes in it. We beat Adelaide when they had most of their good players in their squad and were a top 4 side! They did demolish the TIgers or not! But we beat them on their own turf. We did loose to the Cats and tigers but as others have said we were playing uphill with the loss of key players during both matches. Anyway we start playing "top 8 sides" from Monday son hopefully we start beating some and hope they don't fall out of the 8 if we beat them!
Jpies 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:33 am

I don't think you can read much into it. The sides that win end up in the 8, the sides that lose are out of it. We've won, and are above the sides we beat. It's not always that simple due to unexpected results, but this season seems to have had fewer major upsets than usual.

Also, having not beaten sides in the 8 is reflective of where we sit. If we had beaten sides in the 8, we would be higher up the ladder. If we had beaten Geelong we would be 'equal' 3rd (not counting for what our hypothetical percentage may have been). So 7th is a fair reflection of a team that can beat all of the sides outside the 8, but none/very few in it.

I really don't see why this is surprising?
ROB 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:05 am

Even if we only keep beating sides below us we still more than likely play finals - that's a good start for 2019 if nothing else. Of course, any side above us can be beaten on the day subject to injuries, umpiring decisions, weather etc etc. Our confidence is starting to run high which can account for a lot in any match.
Pies2016 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:28 am

And the team that “ everyone “ is raving about, the Demons, has only beaten ONE team in the eight.
Guess we will know more on Monday.
WhyPhilWhy? 

WhyPhilWhy?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:37 am

West Coast have only beaten teams below them...
MatthewBoydFanClub 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:45 am

Mugwump wrote:
^ true, but I was at the Geelong and Richmond games. In neither game did we lose “badly”. We were well in both games half way through the last quarter and ran out of legs after losing key players to injury quite early on. You can argue that the final margin to Richmond was a bad loss, but that was not the prevailing view of most unbiased commentators after the game.

If we win this Monday it will be a season defining event, because it’ll show that we have the goods to play top four - but if we lose, I do not think we are out of contention for a 5-8 slot. I still think we are a reasonable smokey for a flag, especially if we can get a late season out of Jamie Elliott like we had last year. A forward line of JDG, Hoskin, Jamie Elliott and Wells/Varcoe, with Cox and Mihocek/Reid as targets, is a daunting prospect.

Only if we learn to play consistent football for 4 quarters of the game. We haven't done that this year (maybe Essendon the exception). It doesn't matter who comes into the team if we can't play for 4 quarters.
Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:26 am

We beat the Crows who were in the eight at the time.
mattdally 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:33 pm

Hardly an issue - Melbourne are supposedly the form side of the comp - can someone remind me who they have beaten in the 8?

WCE - Not played
Rich - Smashed by 46 points
Syd - Not played
Geelong - Lost by 3 points
North - beat them easy but they are suspect top 8
Coll - TBC Monday
Port - Haven't played them

They lost to Hawks when they were in the 8 by 67 points.

I am not sure they are as good as they are pumped up to be.
Johnno75 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:46 pm

I think it could be our biggest game in 5 years.

Last 4 wins have been pretty good but have been against teams below us on the ladder but is expected for a team aspiring to climb back up the ladder.

We have had some really good wins like the Adelaide game a few weeks ago but I think the time has now come to make a real stand up against a team that is red hot.

It's not just a great win against a good opposition late in the year when our season has been done and dusted and gives us a bit of hope as we have done a few times over the last couple of years.

Imagine the belief if we can win 4 in a row and go to the bye 8-4 knocking off the form team over the past month. I'd go as far as saying if we win on Monday then we can book in September.

Time to make a real stand Collingwood and as Bucks says play our branch but we need to to really give a good 4 qtr contest.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:47 pm

This is similar to Richmond last year. Time, as usual, will tell.
E 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:48 pm

mattdally wrote:
Hardly an issue - Melbourne are supposedly the form side of the comp - can someone remind me who they have beaten in the 8?

WCE - Not played
Rich - Smashed by 46 points
Syd - Not played
Geelong - Lost by 3 points
North - beat them easy but they are suspect top 8
Coll - TBC Monday
Port - Haven't played them

They lost to Hawks when they were in the 8 by 67 points.

I am not sure they are as good as they are pumped up to be.

This is also super interesting. If WCE, Sydney and Port havent played both Collingwood or Melbourne, me thinks there are a lot of blockbusters coming in the second half of the season.

I just think its interesting how few top 8 teams we've played.

Piesnchess 

piesnchess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:58 pm

FWIW Bloody Tigers have not beaten anyone of note either, nobody from last yrs top eight, but I sure as hell don't hear their fans complaining !! None of their awesome 96 000 members are saying a damn word.

Chess and Vodka are born brothers. - Russian proverb.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3   

Jump to: