Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies beat Blues - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:56 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Mayne is a hard body and is doing his job. But can be displaced by someone who can do that but has more weapons... aka Varcoe if he can get and stay fit.
5 from the wing on debut 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:56 pm

RudeBoy wrote:
It's actually a good sign to be able to grind out an ugly win, because sometimes that's how they unfold, especially against a bottom rung team determined to flood their defence.

So glad to hear that Treloar is OK. If Greenwood misses, then it opens the possibility for Sier to make his debut.

The way that it happened and the reaction by Treloar when he was on the ground made it look like something other than cramp. The natural reaction to a cramp is to attempt to lengthen the muscle but he didn’t do that, he just shook his legs. I thought when I saw it that it was a back injury, not a hamstring though. I hope the club is being honest and it is something as simple as cramp.
bally12 Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:14 pm

Bank the win and take the lessons. Best 2 things that came out of this game were: we won, and Treloar injury isn't serious.
This was Blues' grand final and they threw everything at us. Their best players in Cripps, Curnow, Simpson played out of their skins, and could be argued wwere the best 3 on the ground. They played an ultra-defensive game style which made it difficult for us to find clear forward-50 targets. Often we took the wrong option going forward eg. DeGoey should have gone for goal a couple of times instead of passing, a few top of the square kicks went straight to Blues etc.
Some pretty dodgy umpiring favouring Carlton. What was the 2nd 50m for? The first one against Daicos was stupid as well...I thought you are allowed to follow your direct opponent? He was running away from the kicker anyway. That rule is against the spirit of the game, they should just scrap it immediately.
Daisy Thomas showed himself to be the flog he's always been...we just couldn't see it when he was playing for us.

Some positives:
Grundy - just awesome. Worked tirelessy, and gave us a real advantange in the ruck.
Cox - starting to mark strongly in packs. Improving all the time.
Crisp - reliable, who would have thought. Unsung hero of our side at the moment.
WHE & Stevo - our dynamic duo in our forward line.
Pendles & Sidey - normal, good games from them, as we expect.
Howe - had Garry Lyon lamenting his intercept marks in the last quarter, and that can only be a good thing.

Some neutrals/negatives:
Appleby - on the fringe of the team, probably playing his role, but not offering a lot either in an offensive sense.
Langdon - on the whole I like him, but gee he makes some serious clangers.
Mayne - has been reasonably solid, but really doesn't offer much to be honest.
Greenwood - really poor by foot..depth only.
Mihocek - happy with him but that effort in the goal square when the ball was popped up for him to mark over a smaller opponent was weak.
Thomas - quiet but we can forgive him this one.
Crazypie 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:42 pm

So glad to of taken my eldest son (4) to his first game against the old foe resulting in a win that put us in the top 4. Typical first game back from the bye. Afl.com.au mentioned they might have to look into pies v blues from now on having to wear their away jumper, not a bad idea I reckon.

How envious to see Cripps Curnow and Simpson against us, got the votes from me for best on but that in itself tells how good we're going as a TEAM. As good as those 3 blokes were we never looked like losing. Every other club would be dredding a forward line like ours plus throw in a T Lynch as bt would say wow wee.

So happy to hear my eldest when we got home singing the song to his little brother a day we will both not forget.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 11:44 pm

Great result and to be in the top 4 at this stage is a fantastic outcome for the club.

Carlton's desire to not get smashed meant we witnessed a largely dour game. I still think we played quite well, but Carlton's flood and the lack of space in our forward 50 always meant scoring was going to be difficult today. The fact that our top goal scorers in Hoskin-Elliott and Stephenson kicked three goals each was a great outcome in those circumstances.

Having had the week off with the bye, a fired up Carlton after a poor showing last week and having to contend with Carlton's ultra defensive game style meant the scoreline was inevitably tight. It's disappointing we couldn't get a percentage booster as most anticipated, but to get the four points was always the preferred and ideal outcome before anything else.

We lost to Carlton in 2016 and 2017 in this corresponding fixture after we couldn't handle their flood, so to be able to overcome it this year is another sign of our significant progress this year.

Great to have won 5 consecutive games, which we haven't achieved since 2012 (Buckley's first year as coach), so the tide has certainly for the team.

Good news that Treloar's injury niggle was only cramp, and not something serious.

Mugwump 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:27 am

5 from the wing on debut wrote:
RudeBoy wrote:
It's actually a good sign to be able to grind out an ugly win, because sometimes that's how they unfold, especially against a bottom rung team determined to flood their defence.

So glad to hear that Treloar is OK. If Greenwood misses, then it opens the possibility for Sier to make his debut.

The way that it happened and the reaction by Treloar when he was on the ground made it look like something other than cramp. The natural reaction to a cramp is to attempt to lengthen the muscle but he didn’t do that, he just shook his legs. I thought when I saw it that it was a back injury, not a hamstring though. I hope the club is being honest and it is something as simple as cramp.

When I saw the replay it was reassuring that he gestured with a hand to the trainers to signal that it was ok while he was still on the ground. I’d say it is as they reported it. Bit it’ll be a real relief to have it all confirmed. He’s a bloody important part of our tilt at the 2018 top four.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:36 am

With regards to clash strips, we should wear our mostly white top and white shorts. It’s good enough for Geelong to parade in all white most weeks vs dark clothes teams. It’s good enough for us.
Presti35 Virgo

Dick Lee for Legend Status

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:41 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
With regards to clash strips, we should wear our mostly white top and white shorts. It’s good enough for Geelong to parade in all white most weeks vs dark clothes teams. It’s good enough for us.

Well unlike most other sports in the world, we dont see clubs with a real "home" and "away" jersey. ie. Light Vs Dark.

I honestly don't care if we wear the light or dark top, but today was stupid.

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:56 am

Buckley's Press Conference:

[Question was cut off in the clip]
Quote:
"Ugly game. Four points. Opposition were motivated and pretty well-structured we thought. We said leading into the game we expected more of the Geelong-Sydney game than the Freo game and that's what we got. A couple of guys, Cripps, Curnow and Simpson that are great players and that are hard to prevent to do their thing, but we were able to eventually wear it away and did enough to get the win".

They tried to take uncontested marks and control the footy by keeping the ball away from you. Was that something you expected or something you had to adapt to?
Quote:
"No, we just didn't defend as well as we have. We didn't control the field or the pace of the opposition ball movement as much as we would have liked. Credit to them and we've got some work to do on that".

Is it a mark of your progress to win ugly or scrappy?
Quote:
"Yeah, that's the way we will look at it. Yeah, we did enough to win it on the day against an opposition who we thought played some pretty good footy".

It appeared for a second that Adam Treloar had ripped the hamstrings off the bone, but it doesn't appear to be bad thankfully
Quote:
"Yeah, I think what happens is you have a couple of those incidences in a full career where you could have serious injury and I presume he's out of the woods and the reports we've got is that it's cramp. If he's got away with that then it's a credit to his preparation, the work he does in the gym, the prehabilitation, his dedication to the program because the mechanism didn't look great. If he has indeed escaped that then that's the best news we get out of today".

How's Elliott and Moore looking for next week?
Quote:
"Walshy will give you an injury report during the week".

Are they in the frame?
Quote:
"They're progressing well".

Levi Greenwood followed the concussion protocol?
Quote:
"Yeah, so he was ruled out by the docs just before three quarter time".

This is the first time you've won 5 in a row since 2012. Is this as well as you've played since that period?
Quote:
"We've played some good footy, but what we've done up until now will count for nought. Clearly we'd like to be a little bit more consistent in the way we go about it on today's form. We will review that game and have a look at where it sits and the areas of improvement as we always have, but we've got some players in form and feeling up and about. But I think what today shows is if you don't get the chemistry right, and if you don't play well together as a side then you open yourself a little bit, so that's the take out from today but we're happy with where we are but we still have a lot of growth and development in us and we want to get it as quick as we can".

Thinking about that growth and development, is top 4 the ultimate aim?
Quote:
"We didn't set a goal at the beginning of the year, so I was asked last week whether we reassessed them, so our goal was to play as well as we can every week. I think every side would like to finish as high up the ladder as they possibly can and to do that you have to win as many games as you can so that's what we want to do, so that's our goal".

Three goals for Jaidyn Stephenson today and 21 for the year, where does his year for an 18/19 year old sit in terms of players you've seen and coached in the last few years?
Quote:
"I view Jaidyn the way I view my sons when I watch them play junior footy, so I'm quite critical. I see a lot of their good stuff but I see the margin for improvement. But what I realise is that everything is perception. What I would say is that as far as the Rising Star and his capacity to impact as a first-year player, there's not many guys that are going to be able to do what he's doing and he continues to back that up week after week. He's still a young player and still has a lot of growth in him, but what he brings is great intensity, great energy, he impacts the scoreboard and above all that we love the fact that he plays his role within our structure and he's a very important part of that. His speed on defence which is crucial, and that's a part no one will rate, but we rate it very highly so on both sides of the ball he's been great".

I know you were a bit critical of your defence possibly, but does bringing in Darcy Moore at some point change your structure. Is that a tricky inclusion for you?
Quote:
"That's something I can't give an answer to at the moment. Crystal balling it a little bit, so when we get a little bit closer to it I can probably flesh it out a little bit more for you. Darcy when he comes back will play through the VFL and play as a defender and then we will select the side on form".

http://www.collingwoodfc.com.au/video/2018-06-24/bucks-reviews-the-win-over-carlton

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:12 am

Raw Hammer wrote:

The predominant white with black shorts is what I'd like to see us adopt as our future home guernsey, similar to what we wore before 2001. I wouldn't mind seeing pinstripes incorporated in the stripes as well.

I feel like the predominant black guernsey is too synonymous with the McGuire era, and a little stale these days. I thought the club had a good opportunity to change it up after the logo change and slogan rebrand.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:13 am

Do you feel it in your heart or in your gut?
AN_Inkling 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:27 am

Nice to hear that Moore will play defence on return. That's where he's needed.
Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:36 am

Presti35 wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:

Well unlike most other sports in the world, we dont see clubs with a real "home" and "away" jersey. ie. Light Vs Dark.

I honestly don't care if we wear the light or dark top, but today was stupid.

I meant vs Carlton and other dark clothes teams like Port and Melb.

Raw Hammer 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:39 am

Jezza wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:

The predominant white with black shorts is what I'd like to see us adopt as our future home guernsey, similar to what we wore before 2001. I wouldn't mind seeing pinstripes incorporated in the stripes as well.

I feel like the predominant black guernsey is too synonymous with the McGuire era, and a little stale these days. I thought the club had a good opportunity to change it up after the logo change and slogan rebrand.

Yeah, the new white clash guernseys are TOO white cos of the white trim. Why haven’t we re-introduced the black trim (collars and arm holes) with the white guernsey?

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:41 am

Do you get that feeling very often?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9   

Jump to: