Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Post Match. Pies sink Suns - All comments please.

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
E 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:26 am
Post subject: Reply with quote

Raw Hammer wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Surely enough is enough with Langdon. A spell in the VFL to give him a rev up. Nothing against him personally, but sweet Jesus he has either no awareness or hasn’t given up his pre game bong ritual. Only until the final 10 mins did he actually show a modicum of urgency. His slow as treacle decision making is going to be costly come finals time if he doesn’t get a kick up the bum.

Got no one to take his Place Though

It's interesting how we can see the game differently. I don't think Langdon is that bad RH. Sure, he's not the fastest player out of half-back, but he contests valiantly and as Dave says, who else could you put there, except maybe Mihocek.

Fling aimlessly into packs that that we already outnumber to leave your man alone on the deck to mop up the crumbs is deplorable. 9 times out of 10 he fails to impact the contest an simply gets in the way before being a non player once he crashes to the ground. There’s ‘contesting’ and there’s SMART contesting.

However, he is the first player picked in the back six every week.

Appleby 7 clangers from 10 disposals (seriously, I just had a look) and you want Langdon out?

I guess I’m not the only one to notice some of your boy Langdon’s shortcomings. This from a ‘rival’ forum:

“I would like to see Langdon halve the time between taking possession and disposal. The extra step or two; the unnecessary baulk; the long look back at 45 degrees; the feigned handball before kicking etc all need to go and the fast first option should be selected.”

“I was pulling my hair out tonite with him doing that! If he cleaned that up it would save a few goals a game.”

Langdon was terrific tonight. this conversation is assinine.

E 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:32 am

Pies4shaw wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:

Fling aimlessly into packs that that we already outnumber to leave your man alone on the deck to mop up the crumbs is deplorable. 9 times out of 10 he fails to impact the contest an simply gets in the way before being a non player once he crashes to the ground. There’s ‘contesting’ and there’s SMART contesting.

Are you sure you're not exaggerating the 9 times out of ten RH? Laughing I take your point if that's the way he attacks the game all the time, but I'm not sure that's entirely correct.
Either way, it probably doesn't really matter .... who can you put back down there at the moment, while injuries are taking their toll? Maybe if Moore can come back and play some decent football, he may be replaced.

Scharenberg's spot has his name crossed out and Moore's written over the top in red texta.

You back on the Schaz hate train? He’s been outclassed by bigger bodies in recent weeks, but was back to being very good today for a 20 gamer.

I don't hate him. He just isn't a CHB and he's way too slow to play AFL. When he has the ball in his hands, he's very good but that's a bit of a luxury in a backline that doesn't have much leg speed to start with. So, if Moore is right, out he goes and in comes the bigger, faster, better model.

Part of the problem you see when you watch Langdon is that he (and others, like Howe) are trying to play their own man and cover for the "Space to Rent" at CHB, as well. Langdon has good judgement - but he's obviously under orders to get across to try to compete in the air to help Scharenberg, which is fair enough on the Coach's part when your CHB is leaking 6 marks inside 50 per game. Thus, instead of Langdon being used to create as an outside player, peeling off (which is what the Coach intends), he's being forced to play a contested style of game. Tonight, half his disposals were contested (he had the most contested possessions of any Pie player after Adams, Grundy, Thomas and Pendlebury), which is not his game and not what the team needs. If you re-watch tonight's match, you'll see that the Suns looked like they were going to bust the game wide open at CHF but Schaz escaped much attention because they didn't nail the shots on goal they got there against him.

On the up side of the ledger this evening, though, Crocker played a fine game and used the ball very well (best DE on the team tonight - I understand it's a dubious stat but that is a huge step up for him). That's good, because he takes Mayne's spot playing high half-forward/wing when either Elliott or Aish is ready to play.

Is this also a joke thread. Scharenberg is one of the best young defenders in the entire league. If you hate him, get ready for another 250 games of misery! I think we might be watching totally different games.

People hate Langdon and Scharenberg and yet it has been their return to the team that has made our backline solid and dependable and helping us become one of the best teams in the league. Any correlation? Of course not.....

Magpietothemax Taurus

magpietothemax

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:50 am

I am so rapt for Josh Thomas. He is fast becoming a pivotal component in our attack, combining so dynamically and creatively with Jaidyn Stephenson and WHE.
He has sheer talent, and he also has incredible mental grit to be able to unleash it in the face of massive challenges. He is a gem.
As for JS... 3 goals on Steven May...this kid is something more than special.
I think we probably slipped into a framework of conservation of energy in the final 45 minutes, particularly given that somehow we had no rotations in 20 minutes. This is not an indictment of the players, but far more so of our coaching management. Surely instructions should have been transmitted to our players to make rotations. I am actually glad our players did consereve energy, as a means of self preservation. Not sure that a 39 point victory should be judged as harshly as Bucks did in his presser. Perhaps this is a psychological strategy to prevent our guys from getting in any way complacent given that we are in the totally unprecedented position (for the last 6 years) of being so high on the ladder. Our young guys are not accustomed to these dizzying heights.

Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:04 am

Raw Hammer wrote:
Pies4shaw wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
PyreneesPie wrote:
Dave The Man wrote:
Raw Hammer wrote:
Surely enough is enough with Langdon. A spell in the VFL to give him a rev up. Nothing against him personally, but sweet Jesus he has either no awareness or hasn’t given up his pre game bong ritual. Only until the final 10 mins did he actually show a modicum of urgency. His slow as treacle decision making is going to be costly come finals time if he doesn’t get a kick up the bum.

Got no one to take his Place Though

It's interesting how we can see the game differently. I don't think Langdon is that bad RH. Sure, he's not the fastest player out of half-back, but he contests valiantly and as Dave says, who else could you put there, except maybe Mihocek.

However, he is the first player picked in the back six every week.

Appleby 7 clangers from 10 disposals (seriously, I just had a look) and you want Langdon out?

I guess I’m not the only one to notice some of your boy Langdon’s shortcomings. This from a ‘rival’ forum:

“I would like to see Langdon halve the time between taking possession and disposal. The extra step or two; the unnecessary baulk; the long look back at 45 degrees; the feigned handball before kicking etc all need to go and the fast first option should be selected.”

“I was pulling my hair out tonite with him doing that! If he cleaned that up it would save a few goals a game.”

So, there's another forum where people who know nothing about playing half-back flank post? Wink
DT 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:43 am

Gee there is some crap written here. Pies are second. Who seriously would have tipped this at the start of the season? I had us about 9th. This is a sensational effort by the club - players and coaches. How many games have Stephenson Crocker Daicos Sier Scharenberg Mihocek and Phillips played? All under 50 games yet we win comfortably.

This is still a developing side not a hardened side used to the rigours of year in year out performance like Sydney. It is very likely that we will play finals now and possible that we could make the top 4. That in itself is a massive positive.

I think we are really looking forward to getting some experience back in the team - hopefully Varcoe can make it back next week and run out the season as he is our no. 1 pressure player. Next week Elliott and Moore are due to return. Moore particularly is critical for us. I am very worried about his capacity to play as he seems to have a chronic susceptibility to injuring his hamstring.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:11 am

Sier played a very good first up game —I thought he was very composed and
his goal assists were great

He should hold his spot

E 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:34 am

BazBoy wrote:
Sier played a very good first up game —I thought he was very composed and
his goal assists were great

He should hold his spot

agreed. I think the next guys out of this team are Crocker, Appleby, Daicos and ..... wait for it..... Phillips. He might need a rest.

qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:11 am

I see my old mate P4S has been quick to praise Langdon and kick Scharenberg as usual.
His line Langdon is the first selected in the back 6 each week is a completely and utter lie. Langdon hasn't started in a game in 5 weeks now and his actual match time is dropping from around 80-85% early in the year to the mid 70's now
He harps on about Scharenberg at CHB and he's right he's not a CHB but he's doing it every week because the 3 guys who could play that spot in Moore Reid Goldie are all out injured.
Scharenberg isn't quick but surprising he's actually quicker across the ground than Langdon. At tonight's game Langdon's man had yet again escaped him and was heading to the pocket looking for a pass so Scharenberg leaves his man runs past Langdon and gets to contest in time to spoil and save Langdon from leaking another goal (for the record Langdon was credited with 4 goals conceded tonight and Scharenberg 1 on champion data)
At the match live watching Langdon is so frustrating as the supporters can see his man going to open space whilst he stands motionless unaware. I was sitting next to a few pies supporters at the game tonight and all of them bemoaned the fact Langdon was in the team. When Moore is back he will be at CHB and Scharenberg will be standing right beside him Langdon depending on injury may be on the bench or more likley in the VFL where his limited ability won't be exposed on a weekly basis. If you don't believe that just look at the current contract situation of the players and the club openly saying there looking to sign JDG and Moore as priorities and no others.
Anyway enough time wasted on Langdon he's not worthy of this much space

Grundy tonight was awesome. Until you watch his work rate live you don't fully appreciate him.
Was good to see Sier have a very solid game on debut. Pendles Sidey Adams Grundy all made life easier for the kid with some onfield coaching but we should expect that from our leaders.
Our midfield was good but did lack some pace at times compared to there's but we can't just manufacture speed. Hopefully Murray gets his act together and can fill that role or maybe Varcoe or Aish soon
Stephenson Thomas have become a good combination up forward getting into dangerous places near goal
Losing Dunn didn't help us at all. Watching Scharenberg have to play on 7 meter Peter looked odd but Scharenberg did enough to foil him and he didn't impact the scoreboard
We got the points and sit second
We will need to be a lot better next week but given Treloar's lose to the side it's going to take more than a week for a new system with a new player to fully function the way we need it too
Mugwump 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:14 am

^ phillips was poor in the first half last night, agreed. But he’s not going out of the side any time soon.

The other three you mentioned are vulnerable, agreed. All are serviceable players, and do some nice things, but none seem to regularly impact the game, and we seem to have better options for all of them.

BazBoy 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:42 am

With say Daicos and another smaller player out and in the event of big body Dunne out with injury what I wonder

With some better sides we are about to play do we put in a Wills or when ready Moore

Wills not a KPP —-we will really miss Dunne

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:56 am

Gold Coast were pumped to knock us off as it was like a Grand Final too them, so I am happy enough to take the four points and percentage. I was annoyed in the last half as we struggled to hit a target all over the ground. In saying that going from Melbourne to Brisbane has it's issues. Temp change, humidity and the dew on the ball is an issue. We actually look spent in the last half but so did they. Hope Dunne is OK as he will be a massive out. Sier went well in his first game, some of his possessions were class. Grundy would be close to winning the Copeland and a smokey for the Brownlow. Most of those interstate shit commentators are anti Collingwood and when Grundy has smashed Witts in every area of the game and you claim he just had the edge on the night? WTF, Laughable. It's getting to the point you have to mute the interstate commentators.
Collingwood Crackerjack 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:01 am

I have noticed that Phillips drop off in form has coincided with the recent batch of media blowing smoke up his arse; I hope its not related.

Great to see JT follow up a dirty day last week with a stellar performance; sign of a true champion to turn it around like that, in my book, what a story!

P4S; can't believe some of your criticisms of Sharenberg; he ain't going anywhere, and I can't help but feel some of your criticism would be more aptly applied to the Future Captain.....

© Collingwood Crackerjack, 1992
daics aka the ruckman 

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:12 am

DT wrote:
Gee there is some crap written here. Pies are second. Who seriously would have tipped this at the start of the season? I had us about 9th. This is a sensational effort by the club - players and coaches. How many games have Stephenson Crocker Daicos Sier Scharenberg Mihocek and Phillips played? All under 50 games yet we win comfortably.

This is still a developing side not a hardened side ....

Agreed. I am happy with every win. No expectations of how much we SHOULD win by. Every game has different opposition who often bring their best for us so I am happy when we win.

Mayne was in our top 3 last night for a four quarter effort. Stephenson and Thomas great goal kickers. Mihocek good again. Good debut from Sier.

Culprit Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:17 am

^^^ Mayne deserves all the plaudits.
Pies4shaw Leo

pies4shaw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:41 am

Collingwood Crackerjack wrote:
I have noticed that Phillips drop off in form has coincided with the recent batch of media blowing smoke up his arse; I hope its not related.

Great to see JT follow up a dirty day last week with a stellar performance; sign of a true champion to turn it around like that, in my book, what a story!

P4S; can't believe some of your criticisms of Sharenberg; he ain't going anywhere, and I can't help but feel some of your criticism would be more aptly applied to the Future Captain.....

Scharenberg is a magnificent player and will one day captain the Club from CHB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> Match All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9   

Jump to: