Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

The narrative surrounding the wins

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
qldmagpie67 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:19 pm
Post subject: The narrative surrounding the winsReply with quote

I watched the west coast v Dee's today and in the pre-match Eddie was hosting on fox the first person he asked was Paul Roos and he said what are you looking forward to the most today
Roos answer was this
I want to see a competitive game not like last night. Richmond just didn't turn up to play at all. It's a shame because they've been so good all year and the 1 night they need to be good they weren't so I want to see a competeivr game and I think we will
Well I wouldn't expect Roos to rap us he hates us so that's fine but to give us no credit at all even for him was shocking
Dermott followed up by saying did they not turn up or were they not allowed to turn up ?
Roos said no Richmond didn't turn up
Dermott was smiling and said well I thought the Tigers weren't allowed to play the game they wanted by a far more committed side
The look on Roos face was of disgust that Dermott wasn't agreeing with him

So as the flogging in the west was happening Roos commented during the break sending a side form Melbourne to Perth to play during the day heat of the day wasn't right it should have been a night game to be fair to both sides
Now I get he's vested in the Dee's but seriously how can he really be so one eyed

So now I'm wondering what will the narrative be during the week in the media and the various TV programs
Wil we be paid the praise we are due or will it be Richmond played badly not us playing well
Will it be all about how great west coast are and how were a team of battlers
I know media are paid for opinions and they make outlandish comments at times just to be controversial but for mine a fair and even appraisal is what should be presented
I remember during the week listening to Dunstall and him praising our efforts and saying Collingwood had challenged Richmond in both games before injuries ruined there chances
He also went on to say you don't finish 3rd by luck it means you've played good footy for the majority of the season

I hope the media coverage this week focuses on the 2 teams that beat there opponents convincingly and not the sides that lost and make excuses for them
HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:23 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. Too much data.
MightyMagpie 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:34 pm

Tiggers had a pressure rating of something like 186 whereas we had something like 198. 180 is very good pressure. The Tiggers came to play ... we just beat them.
Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:40 pm

Who gives a rats what Roos thinks. Everyone else credits us with beating Richmond. Roos is sour it wasn't a boring goalless keepings-off flood like he coached in Sydney and with Melbourne.

I wouldn't pee on his opinions if they were on fire.
Doc63 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:46 pm

Dunstall, Brown & N Reiwoldt were all full of praise for us last night. And we are not exactly their favorite team.

Roos has hated us ever since we didn't get the deal done to get him from Fitzroy, and he probably hates us more now after we rightfully gave his mate Pert the flick.

Mr Miyagi 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:31 pm

So by Roos' logic, when Richmond got to within 21 points in the last quarter, it was because Collingwood didn't turn up to play and flattered them.

Roos is an idiot.
lanstro 

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:36 pm

Roos isn't completely wrong that Richmond didn't turn up to play in the first half. They had a lot of passengers last night, and both their injury gambles backfired big time. When it's 10 goals to 2, it's generally because the team on top is playing very well but also because the team behind played terribly.
E 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:09 am

I think most people are simply avoiding stating the obvious. Dustin Martin takes a good team and single handedly makes them great. he was injured on Friday night. So obviously hurt.

By the way, are you allowed to jab opposing players in the solar plexes whenever you want? Dusty did it to Greenwood and Aish, and both had to take time to compose themselves. umpires did nothing. Is it legal? If its legal we should do it as its better than a punch.

HAL 

Please don't shout at me - I can't help it.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:13 am

Humans are not always infallible.
eddiesmith Taurus

Lets get ready to Rumble

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:15 am

lol funny stuff given the only reason it was a day game was so Melbourne could travel back tonight if they won, yet we weren't offered that same assistance after week 1...
K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:57 am

I've thought all along that Richmond are mediocre. If they have an achievement, it's to remain injury-free for 18 months or 2 years, but we don't know whether that's just luck. (Really, the rest of the league needs to find out.) While their VFL team did well in that time (but, like the AFL team started falling off the cliff in the last month or two), their emergencies showed they don't have depth. Astbury's replacement would have been a 2-game player. I guess they could have tried Butler or Ellis in place of Martin, but are they really going to do better than a lame Martin?

[On second thoughts, Richmond's VFL team's relative success may have also been due to their lack of injuries. When 6 of a club's best 22 are injured, that sucks 6 of its next best 22 into the senior side, so the VFL side struggles.]
K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:39 pm

"We have written before in this column about how the AFL, with its various equalization measures, seeks to emulate the NFL with its ‘Any Given Sunday’ mantra.

Folks, we’re getting closer.

West Coast and Collingwood were virtually nobody’s tip to meet in the Grand Final. The Eagles were an unconvincing sixth last year, the Pies 13th and in all sorts.

But the last three years have thrown up six different grand finalists. It is a marketer’s dream and a great outcome for the League."

https://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-23/after-the-siren-pies-break-the-11th-commandment

It may be the AFL's dream, but you cannot get 12 or even 6 great teams, so equalization necessarily means equal mediocrity. And if the randomness is largely determined by injury lists, that's an even worse outcome.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:17 pm

^I think for all of the AFL's failings, the equalisation measures have undoubtedly worked.

Teams like Melbourne have emerged after some good admin and coaching and on the back of some sensible draft picks and trades.
Other teams, which remain poorly administered and coached (Saints, Carlton, GC) remain cellar dwellers despite lots of preferred draft picks.

But to have 6 different Grand finalists in the past 3 years is remarkable. The competition is undoubtedly closer too. Hawks were sitting just out of the 8 a couple of weeks out from finals and then finished 4th.

I hate some of the rule changes though. The contact below the knees rule being the one I loathe the most. I can't make sense of the proposed goal square extension proposal either (teams don't tend to have too much trouble getting it into the 'fat' part of the ground from what I can see given most teams play a zone defence, the first kick usually hits a target. I also don't like the randomness of the AFL's compensation for free agent trading either. Buddy Franklin and Daniel Motlop both worth about pick 18?

Jezza Taurus

2023 PREMIERS!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:48 pm

Albert Parker wrote:
But to have 6 different Grand finalists in the past 3 years is remarkable

Last time that happened before this year was 1963-1964-1965.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:24 pm

And the last time we won a premiership in September was 1958.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2   

Jump to: