Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

Jack Higgins' goal vs Collingwood

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:27 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

David wrote:
As with many topics, K, you’re like a dog with a bone here. As I said, it was a remarkable split-second decision to even keep the ball in the field of play (while watching it on TV live, I was sure that he wouldn’t get there in time)...

He could have tried to handball instantly (among other things --- I have to try to find that footage). There was more than a "split-second" to work with, if you choose to widen your vision to more than the last split-second. Are you saying that's impossible for any AFL player ever? (Not that possibility or impossibility matters... Rules are intended exactly to restrict what's possible. Otherwise, let's get that sniper down to the Lexus Centre pronto.)

Are you guessing that less than (say) 90% of decisions are endorsed by the AFL?

I am trying to make your simile work better. Maybe a dog with a football? Am I allowed to nominate what breed of dog I might be?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:43 pm

I honestly have no idea. It might be 80%, it might be 95%. Even if that's the case, who's to say this wouldn't be in the 10% of decisions that doesn't get endorsed? I would be surprised if even 10% of umpiring decisions are mistaken, to be honest – they're usually pretty good, not that you'd get that impression from the average Collingwood fan. Wink

The footage is here. He had a player running in that he could have handballed to (and calling for it), but with Moore so close, he probably made the right call to try to do it himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rOHkN6BhH8

K 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:45 pm

No, not that footage (which I have to watch with the sound down)... The footage that I was reminded of, illustrating what he should have done if he were more skilful (and if he chose not to handball).

Good job splitting these posts to a dedicated thread, by the way...
Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:07 pm

tbaker wrote:
David wrote:
Before this, any umpire who penalised a player for an unusual ball drop in play would have seemed terribly pedantic to me – and I think the vast majority of people would agree.

Agree with that principle, except that in this case it was not a ball drop - it was a ball lift.
I heard reports on Sunday that the AFL had ok'd it. However, if the umpire had've called it a throw then I'm 100% certain the AFL would've ok'd that decision too!! The AFL always seem to have a case for backing the umpire's call in 50/50 situations - only where there is a blatantly obvious clanger do they admit the umpire got it wrong.

Spot on TB

They okay'd 'the goal', as they did on the day. It was not adjudicated on whether it was a throw or not, just whether it was touched or not. The AFL might be playing funny buggers. We'll see when it happens again because this could become the new Stevie J thing. About to be tackled near the goal square, throw it up and kick it in mid air. Taken literally, the mind boggles at the possibilities.

As someone said, take out the theatre [it was cool, but...] it was probably kicking in danger anyway.

K 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:08 pm

Why did Varcoe go to ground? Did he lose his footing or was he infringed upon by Martin?
David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:33 pm

Other way around. Varcoe loses his footing while chasing Higgins and then actually trips Martin over with his foot (albeit seemingly unintentionally).
K 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:53 am

'Monumental mistake,' says Ken but AFL OK's goal

"If I was the AFL, I'd be embarrassed and disappointed in an industry that's so important to so many people. ...
Someone should be accountable for that because I'm accountable for winning and losing."

Oh, what a surprise! Wink Wink

[P.S. Do you remember what Ken used to look like when he played for Geebung??]
piedys Taurus

Heeeeeeere's Dyso!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:23 am

K wrote:

Same post-career dietitian as Stu Dew, my guess...

David Libra

I dare you to try

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:41 am

K wrote:

"If I was the AFL, I'd be embarrassed and disappointed in an industry that's so important to so many people. ...
Someone should be accountable for that because I'm accountable for winning and losing."

We’ve seen plenty of angles on TV replays. Did you see it hit the post? I sure didn’t. The correct approach in the video replay is to override the goal umpire’s decision if it is conclusively incorrect. I think you (and many others) are getting thrown by Ken Hinkley’s hissy fit.

The decision could have perhaps taken longer – I was a little surprised by how quick it was – but, ultimately, according to both the letter of the rule and common sense, it was correct.

Cam Capricorn

Nick's BB Member #166

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:29 pm

Kenny is just deflecting from the real issue of losing a showdown to the Crowys!!!
Piethagoras' Theorem Taurus

the hypotenuse, is always a cakewalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:40 pm

disgraceful outburst from a coach, what a big sook! Will be getting a "please explain," surely. Not that it matters, he'll probably get fined and that is that.
Albert Parker 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:03 pm

Ree Hinkley - I must say I didn't see the ball hit the post. Pretty close to call on the replay and I think it is fair the goal umpire's decision stands under the circumstances. Is there alternate camera angles which could be installed? Maybe. I think there have been some errors made, even when reviewed by a non-field umpire though.

Re Higgins - He threw the ball up and it wasn't really in the kicking action because in the meantime he had to swing around the post before launching his legs at the ball.
You can't throw the ball up to clear an opponent and then kick the ball on it's way down. This is effectively the same thing.

Umpires boss tried lamely to defend it, as they almost always do, with a call that it was OK if you accept the decision was real time. Yet there was an opportunity for review, so this is negated.

AFL is pretty amateurish in the way it conducts itself. The thought of trialling new rules in live games mid-season is policy on the run and shouldn't occur.

K 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:37 pm

David wrote:
I think you (and many others) are getting thrown by Ken Hinkley’s hissy fit.

No, we're not thrown by it, just getting pleasure from it. I think the players know what really happened. But the pleasure is really because of the general situation (not this decision or even about goal reviews in general). He's right that there's no accountability.

Albert Parker wrote:
Umpires boss tried lamely to defend it, as they almost always do, with a call that it was OK if you accept the decision was real time. Yet there was an opportunity for review, so this is negated.

AFL is pretty amateurish in the way it conducts itself. ...

Yep. The headlines were that the AFL rubber-stamped it. Mark Stevens, though, stated that Hayden Kennedy basically sat on the fence about it. I'd have to see what exactly HK said. I seem to recall that when Buddy ran clearly over 20m (in his 'GOTY'), he kind of said something like "he may have run a little far".

Yep, unprofessional...

Update: Kennedy on Buddy was quoted as saying it's hard because he's a "really fast man with long strides". Hayden, just say it's wrong and move on. Don't use silly excuses. Hayden, you may also have become confused: We're talking about Buddy, not Usain Bolt.
K 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:34 am

David wrote:
K wrote:

We’ve seen plenty of angles on TV replays. Did you see it hit the post? I sure didn’t. The correct approach in the video replay is to override the goal umpire’s decision if it is conclusively incorrect. I think you (and many others) are getting thrown by Ken Hinkley’s hissy fit.

The decision could have perhaps taken longer – I was a little surprised by how quick it was – but, ultimately, according to both the letter of the rule and common sense, it was correct.

I pulled myself away from the entertainment of watching Ken dump on the AFL and looked at the game footage.

I can now provide a definitive judgement: the ball may or may not have touched the post, but the kick was certainly a point, because it passed in front of the (left) goalpost, travelling right to left.
Below are stills from the video. If I can hit the pause button, maybe the video umpire can too? Again, though, the point (ahem...) is not that umpires on-field or in front of screens should never make mistakes; the point is that the AFL made a deceitful statement about it. I don't expect infallibility; I do expect honesty.

hinkley1.png

hinkley2.png

hinkley3.png

hinkley4.png

think better 

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:28 am

The cheer squad has spoken
https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood/collingwood-cheer-squad-sends-hidden-message-in-banner-against-sydney/news-story/7de8188dcb34ea972fd06eef0a5dae5d

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6   

Jump to: