Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index
 The RulesThe Rules FAQFAQ
   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch 

VFL Finals Eligibility 2018

Users browsing this topic:0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 0 Guests
Registered Users: None

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:08 am
Post subject: VFL Finals Eligibility 2018Reply with quote

Well, it's now that time of year again. With the team notching up its 9th win of the season, I now feel comfortable posting a thread that catalogues the eligibility of AFL-listed players to play VFL finals.

This year's list has a bit of a different look to it compared to previous years. Namely, it has to do with the senior side actually going forwards instead of backwards year after year after year.

Anyways, before we look at who can play and who can not, let's take a moment to remind ourselves of The Rules:

Quote:
20. Participation in Finals Series Matches

(a) A Player who has not played in at least one AFL, VFL Senior Grade or Development League Home and Away Match in the relevant season will be ineligible to play in the Senior Grade Finals Series.

(b) Subject to Rule 20(c) below, a Player who has played in an AFL Home and Away Match after 1 July in the relevant season will be ineligible to play in VFL Senior Grade or Development League Finals Series Matches unless that Player has played in a combined total of at least six (6) Senior Grade or Development League Home and Away Matches in the same season.

(c) A Player who has not played in at least two (2) Development League Home and Away Matches in the relevant season will be ineligible to play in a Development League Finals Series Match unless, immediately prior to selection:
(i) the Player has missed at least ten (10) consecutive VFL Home and Away Matches through injury; and
(ii) the Player’s Club remains active in the VFL Senior Grade Finals Series.

(d) A Player who has played in more than eight (8 ) VFL Senior Grade Home and Away Matches will be ineligible to play in Development League Final Series Matches unless that Player has played in at least six (6) Development League Home and Away Matches.

(e) Despite any other provision of this Rule 20, but subject to Rule 20(f), where a Club has both its AFL and VFL Senior Teams engaged on the same weekend, any Player may be selected to play in the VFL Senior Team so long as that Player has played in at least one AFL or VFL Senior Grade Home and Away Match or Development League Home and Away Match in that relevant season.

(f) When an AFL Club is eliminated from the AFL Final Series on the same weekend as the VFL Grand Final, the selection of players in the VFL Senior Grade team shall be unrestricted, provided the player has participated in at least one (AFL or VFL) Senior Grade or AFL Victoria Development League match in the relevant season.

(g) Despite any other provision in Rule 20, an AFL listed Player must:
(i) qualify under Regulation 20(b); and
(ii) have played no more than 12 AFL Home and Away Matches,
to be eligible to play in VFL Finals Series Matches.

(h) Despite any other provision in Rule 20, in circumstances where:
(i) an AFL Club is participating in the AFL Finals Series, but is not required to play on a particular weekend (by virtue of winning its AFL Qualifying Final and earning a one-week break before its AFL Preliminary Final); and
(ii) the AFL Club’s VFL team is playing on that weekend,

any AFL listed player who did not play in the AFL Qualifying Final will be eligible to play in the Club’s VFL team in the week in which the AFL Club has a one-week break.

(i) Despite any other provision in Rule 20, in circumstances where:
(i) an AFL Club is participating in the AFL Finals Series, but is not playing on the weekend of the AFL bye weekend after the final round of the AFL home and away season; and
(ii) the AFL Club’s VFL team is playing on that weekend,

any AFL listed player who did not play in the AFL Club’s AFL team in the final round of the AFL home and away season will be eligible to play in the Club’s VFL team in the AFL bye round after the final round of the AFL home and away season.

Despite any other provision in Rule 20, the CEO of AFL Victoria (or nominee) may deem any Player eligible to play in any VFL Finals Series Match

http://vfl.com.au/finals-eligibility/

Comprende?

In short, the eligibility outlined in The Rules can be summarised accordingly:

Week 1 (AFL pre-finals bye) - Any player who did not play AFL Round 23 if senior side playing AFL finals, qualification rules apply if not
Week 2 (AFL Qualifying/Elimination Finals) - 1 AFL or VFL game if senior side playing AFL finals, qualification rules apply if not
Week 3 (AFL Semi Finals) - 1 AFL or VFL game if AFL team playing Semi Finals, any player who did not play AFL Qualifying Final if AFL side has week off, qualification rules apply if AFL side out before this weekend
Week 4 (AFL Preliminary Finals) - 1 AFL or VFL game if AFL team playing Preliminary Finals, qualification rules apply if AFL side out before this weekend

In the scenario that selections become restricted for our team, the list of eligible players currently reads as the following, with games in brackets:

Restricted Eligibility:
Confirmed
Sam McLarty (17 VFL, 0 AFL)
Tyler Brown (17 VFL, 0 AFL)
Nathan Murphy (16 VFL, 2 AFL)
Adam Oxley (15 VFL, 3 AFL)
Max Lynch (14 VFL, 0 AFL)
Jarryd Blair (13 VFL, 2 AFL)
Rupert Wills (12 VFL, 0 AFL)
Jack Madgen (11 VFL, 4 AFL)
Callum Brown (11 VFL, 8 AFL)
Alex Fasolo (11 VFL, 1 AFL)
Ben Crocker (10 VFL, 10 AFL)
Brayden Sier (9 VFL, 8 AFL)
Brody Mihocek (7 VFL, 12 AFL)
Josh Smith (7 VFL, 1 AFL)
Josh Daicos (7 VFL, 10 AFL)
Ben Reid (1 VFL, 6 AFL)
Tyson Goldsack (1 VFL, 0 AFL)

Last edited by MagpieBat on Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:02 pm; edited 7 times in total
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:53 pm
Post subject: Reply with quote

First update.

No new players confirmed their eligibility today, but I've updated the game tallies. And if we get players back from injury next week, we could see another payer or two become eligible...

MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 1:32 am

Occurs to me that I haven't updated this for a while. My bad.

With the seniors now locked in for finals themselves, and with the likelihood that they will finish with a double-chance (thus ensuring that we will at least make it as far as the semi finals, which fall on VFL preliminary final weekend), the question of who is eligible for VFL finals once selections become restricted is becoming more and more academic. Nevertheless, I've updated the list and the games tallies for the record, and to provide people with an idea of who could conceivably make up a VFL Grand Final side, in the event that the seniors go out in straight sets.

Also, there was this interesting little nugget at the end of an article in today's Age:

Quote:
Any player who does not play against the Dockers will be eligible to play in the first week of the VFL finals, when the AFL has its pre-finals bye weekend. Treloar is believed to interested in playing in the VFL, but may be held back by club medicos.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-s-adam-treloar-given-the-green-light-by-surgeon-20180821-p4zywb.html

Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:20 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
Occurs to me that I haven't updated this for a while. My bad.

With the seniors now locked in for finals themselves, and with the likelihood that they will finish with a double-chance (thus ensuring that we will at least make it as far as the semi finals, which fall on VFL preliminary final weekend), the question of who is eligible for VFL finals once selections become restricted is becoming more and more academic. Nevertheless, I've updated the list and the games tallies for the record, and to provide people with an idea of who could conceivably make up a VFL Grand Final side, in the event that the seniors go out in straight sets.

Also, there was this interesting little nugget at the end of an article in today's Age:

Quote:
Any player who does not play against the Dockers will be eligible to play in the first week of the VFL finals, when the AFL has its pre-finals bye weekend. Treloar is believed to interested in playing in the VFL, but may be held back by club medicos.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/collingwood-s-adam-treloar-given-the-green-light-by-surgeon-20180821-p4zywb.html

Yeah I was going to post about this last nigth. Your reading of 20.c.i was wrong.

Anyone who doesn't play AFL in round 23 but who's side has made the AFL finals, can play on the bye weekend.

I'd suggest that Howe and Treloar will probably have a bit of a run around in the hope of gaining some touch
MagpieBat 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:09 pm

"20.c.i"? That section deals with eligibility for the Development League finals, a competition that no longer exists.
Geek 

geek

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 5:44 pm

MagpieBat wrote:
"20.c.i"? That section deals with eligibility for the Development League finals, a competition that no longer exists.

And of course, by 20.c.i I meant 20.i.i
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Nick's Collingwood Bulletin Board Forum Index -> The VFL Magpies All times are GMT + 11 Hours

Page 1 of 1   

Jump to: